PDA

View Full Version : Charles Atlas Superpowers - an idea for a 3.P base class

knightMARE
2013-04-07, 08:04 PM
After a discussion with a few of my roleplaying friends, I decided to try my hand at homebrewing a base class that was mundane but could still do awesome things. Drawing inspiration from the trope "Charles Atlas Superpower", and heroes such as Heracles, the mechanics would work roughly as follows.

Every odd numbered level, the class would grant a physical talent. Talents would be organised into trees based on stats. Strength talents might grant the ability to lift 10x what they normally could, or knock enemies away with a single blow. Dexterity talents could grant the ability to run up walls and evasion.

Every even numbered level, there would be mental talents. Wisdom talents might give the ability to "see" the invisible, Charisma talents might grant mundane charm-like abilities.

Ideally, there would be a few talents in each tree that would have in combat use, and some outside of combat use. Perhaps certain talents would have additional effects if another talent from a different tree was also taken. For example, a Dexterity talent that grants Uncanny dodge might grant Improved Uncanny Dodge when taken alongside a Wisdom talent that gives heightened senses.

What do you guys think of the idea? Would you play it?
Do you have any suggestions for talents or other class features?

DMVerdandi
2013-04-07, 08:39 PM
After a discussion with a few of my roleplaying friends, I decided to try my hand at homebrewing a base class that was mundane but could still do awesome things. Drawing inspiration from the trope "Charles Atlas Superpower", and heroes such as Heracles, the mechanics would work roughly as follows.

Every odd numbered level, the class would grant a physical talent. Talents would be organised into trees based on stats. Strength talents might grant the ability to lift 10x what they normally could, or knock enemies away with a single blow. Dexterity talents could grant the ability to run up walls and evasion.

Every even numbered level, there would be mental talents. Wisdom talents might give the ability to "see" the invisible, Charisma talents might grant mundane charm-like abilities.

Ideally, there would be a few talents in each tree that would have in combat use, and some outside of combat use. Perhaps certain talents would have additional effects if another talent from a different tree was also taken. For example, a Dexterity talent that grants Uncanny dodge might grant Improved Uncanny Dodge when taken alongside a Wisdom talent that gives heightened senses.

What do you guys think of the idea? Would you play it?
Do you have any suggestions for talents or other class features?

Sounds interesting, but HONESTLY???
I would go the route of making all of these things skills.
Having certain ranks opens up new abilities/skill tricks.

The reason I say skills is because buying into those is as simple as taking the feat necessary to do it.
Also doesn't lock out any classes from actually achieving the same prowress.

Fitness (STR)
Immunity (CON)
Footwork (Dex)
Insight (WIS)
Education (INT)
Aura (Cha)

That's all you need.

Have the skill tricks/abilities open up at certain ranks. 5/10/15/20 maybe?

And then have a 3 level class that gives all of those skills, plus maybe two bonus feats, good bab, and +1 class level.
Call that ish the Overman.

knightMARE
2013-04-07, 08:43 PM
Sounds interesting, but HONESTLY???
I would go the route of making all of these things skills.
Having certain ranks opens up new abilities/skill tricks.

The reason I say skills is because buying into those is as simple as taking the feat necessary to do it.
Also doesn't lock out any classes from actually achieving the same prowress.

Fitness (STR)
Immunity (CON)
Footwork (Dex)
Insight (WIS)
Education (INT)
Aura (Cha)

That's all you need.

Have the skill tricks/abilities open up at certain ranks. 5/10/15/20 maybe?

And then have a 3 level class that gives all of those skills, plus maybe two bonus feats, good bab, and +1 class level.
Call that ish the Overman.

Not my particular cup of tea. While it would be nice to have this open to all classes, I don't think making them skills would be best

I would prefer having it accessible like ToB (Can get talents with feats, prereqs based off stats etc.)

Arbane
2013-04-07, 11:20 PM
Take a look at the Sun Hero (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266809), possibly?

At high levels, it's supposed to be just as ridiculous as the spellcasters, despite spellcasting being the ONE thing they're not good at.

metabolicjosh
2013-04-07, 11:29 PM
I'm making a homebrew myself that works a lot like this. Try making the Talents every other Odd and Even, and making the talents more significant. :)

knightMARE
2013-04-08, 01:00 AM
Take a look at the Sun Hero (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266809), possibly?

At high levels, it's supposed to be just as ridiculous as the spellcasters, despite spellcasting being the ONE thing they're not good at.

Ah yes, it's heavily based on Exalted, which was another of the sources of inspiration for this pet project of mine

I will look at that one more though, thanks :smallsmile: