PDA

View Full Version : Need an unorthodox yet fun class to do a 1shot with

ddude987
2013-04-08, 12:29 AM
Hello Giant,
I am doing a 1-shot game at level 12. Assume WPL by table 5-1 in the DMG. My DM wants me to play something unorthodox and mechanically different than most classes. He suggested Truenamer using the Book of Words homebrew here (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zc9fk9tczzlcty6) I read threw it and am just not that interested in Truenamer. Learning an entire new system is a lot, and the spells just don't seem very good. Any suggestions on some unorthodox classes or builds even?
Thanks!
Note: Psionics and ToB are not allowed as DM dislikes ToB and doesn't want to deal with strange magic/psionic interations.

Chaosvii7
2013-04-08, 12:40 AM
I think a good option for a mechanically unique class would be Dragon Shaman; They get buffing auras and self-healing, as well as a breath weapon that (obviously) scales with level. The only thing is that there's not a lot of roles you can fulfill beyond blaster and buffer, and the class is kind of straightforward and singular.

Other options include Binder(unless somebody already claimed it in your game), Knights are Fighters with a Charisma reliance that get challenge abilities(not overly different but kind of interesting). Most of the good unorthodox or unique classes are covered by Psionics, and it's a shame that you can't use it, because you can pull some strange stuff out of Complete Psionic.

Of course, there is also the Magic of Incarnum book, focused on the magical power source that allows you to bind magical essence to yourself to simulate magic item effects.

ArcturusV
2013-04-08, 12:40 AM
Well, hard to say. Unorthodox is entirely dependent on your group in particular, and their experiences. In the last group I was in, I could have... played a Druid and that would have been unorthodox because NO ONE ever played it. Class was avoided like the plague.

... though I did one time play a Half-Ogre druid and had a blast with it, not exactly playing "high tier" with it but more like some sort of beastmaster who always had some weird animal up his sleeve to use, combined with some "hulk smash" sort of play involving my large sized greatclub.

This is usually though the sort of situation where I just dust off something I always wanted to try but never could for various reasons. "Doesn't fit the campaign" or "We need someone to play _____", etc. It's a one shot so time to cut loose with it.

For example you could go... Druid/Ranger/Fighter perhaps, mounted archer type using your Druid Animal Companion... mounted camel archer? Sure. Sounds fun as long as your DM isn't sticking you in 5' and 10' wide hallways all session on your one shot.

Noncombat variants, always fun. Almost never seen because, well, it's DnD, the standard answer to situations is usually "Kill it until death!". So running Apostle of Peace, or a wizard who is entirely non-combative using divinations and illusions... why not?

Curmudgeon
2013-04-08, 12:43 AM
Try a Savant (Dragon Compendium). It's like a Factotum, without all the poor writing and lack of basic game rules knowledge by the authors. :smallsigh:

ddude987
2013-04-08, 01:48 AM
Try a Savant (Dragon Compendium). It's like a Factotum, without all the poor writing and lack of basic game rules knowledge by the authors. :smallsigh:

Factotum was poorly written? I thought it all made sense when I read it.

Hmm well what I mean by unorthodox is not your typical wizard who blows things up or crowd control and not your typical Barbarian who smashes things... something different and unique. The camel was a good idea but I don't think the DM will like that, he doesn't like archers O.o

Juntao112
2013-04-08, 01:52 AM
Not an unorthodox combination, but the execution certainly is. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?327699-Shiver-Me-Timbers-It-s-Black-Jack-Wellesley!)

ArcturusV
2013-04-08, 01:57 AM
Well, it was an idea. Sadly yes, nothing beats DM hatred of an idea.

But nice to know Unorthodox doesn't mean "Has a unique system for how the class works". Which I kinda figured since you mentioned you didn't want to learn a new system for Truenamer.

You could go with a bard type. Jack up your social skills, use your Bardic Music and Bardic Magic all on social skill effects. Run through the entire adventure never drawing a weapon, never buffing your teammates, never healing, never blasting, never controlling. Just bluff, dip, intimidate, and generally out charisma all your opposition.

Which can be kinda fun to do, particularly as a one off so it doesn't get old. And something I at least rarely see players do. Well, rarely see players do WELL I should stress. Just don't do things like "I roll bluff", but really work the imagination and come up with what you're bluffing with.

"Let me in, I'm on the list, don't you have me on the list? I'm Baron Dain Von Krantzenburg Talshora Vic Naleen Dergraff of Zietsholm! How dare you not accommodate someone of my station!"

MulletMonk
2013-04-08, 04:11 AM
There was i gish I always wanted to play could be interesting

1 human paragon
2 Wu-jen
3 paragon
4 paragon
5 Crusader
6 Wu-jen
7 Spellsword
8 Jade Phoenix Mage
9 Jade Phoenix Mage
10 JPM
11 JPM
12 JPM

This gives you a Fairly resilient and unique Gish Character for a more optimum if less unique build replace Wu-jen with Wizard.

Edit: Whoops better read the OP's post more completely before digging up old builds.

Sorry about that you could cut the JPM and Crusader sub in Wizard and pick up Fighter and Abjurant Champion. that will get you to twelve with a fairly competent Gish build.

The Trickster
2013-04-08, 10:59 AM
I'd just pick something that only fits into certain games (like a dungeon delver or something). That way you can play something different (and something you will probably never play again) and still fit in the campaign.

Do you know what kind of game it is?

Shining Wrath
2013-04-08, 11:47 AM
Ashworm Dragoon. If you can't have fun with mounted combat atop a Sand Worm, you are really not trying very hard, and mounted combat doesn't show up that often.

the clumsy bard
2013-04-08, 11:51 AM
Same book as truenamer, but not as complicated.

The binder

navar100
2013-04-08, 12:02 PM
dwarf sorcerer
half-orc or orc paladin
halfling lawful good not-a-rogue
human lawful good rogue
city-dwelling takes care of pigeons, squirrels, stray dogs, and parks druid
neutral good educated and refined barbarian

limejuicepowder
2013-04-08, 12:26 PM
Dragonfire adept with the deformity (obese) feat and acid breath weapon. You are now a fat guy that fights by puking on people.

Whenever I try to make out-of-ordinary builds, I like to flip through the 5-level prestige classes and pick one that has great flavor but doesn't see a lot of play. Menacing Brute, Avenging Executioner, Mindspy, and Occult Slayer are all classes that look fun to play, especially in a one-shot.

Callin
2013-04-08, 12:36 PM
try and figure out how to do a Goliath BattleBard combo into the Dawncaller PrC. Unorthodox and fairly Optimized.

Curmudgeon
2013-04-08, 12:40 PM
Factotum was poorly written? I thought it all made sense when I read it.
Only if you don't know how the basic game rules work. For instance, in Cunning Breach:
The target automatically fails any spell resistance check that she attempts to avoid your spell. Spell resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellResistance) has no "attempt to avoid" check by the target; instead, there's a caster level check by the spellcaster ... but then, of course, a Factotum is not a spellcaster, and doesn't cast any spells (they only have SLAs). So even if this ability did work, it would only function for multiclass Factotum/spellcaster characters. :smallconfused:

Gnome Alone
2013-04-08, 12:49 PM
Human Commoner with maxed cross-class ranks in Diplomacy, so you can semi-effectively beg for your life. Also, take the Run feat.

Bam. Unorthodox.

Callin
2013-04-08, 12:51 PM
Human Commoner with maxed cross-class ranks in Diplomacy, so you can semi-effectively beg for your life. Also, take the Run feat.

Bam. Unorthodox.

lol

this needs a like button

animewatcha
2013-04-08, 01:05 PM
Do you have access to dragon magazine? If so, why not have fun with the charlatan prestige class in, I think, 335 with jedi mind tricks and sterf. Continuing having nearly the same fun even in an anti-magic field.

ddude987
2013-04-08, 09:51 PM
Not an unorthodox combination, but the execution certainly is. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?327699-Shiver-Me-Timbers-It-s-Black-Jack-Wellesley!)

That is definatley something like what I am looking for! Thanks, I love it.

Well, it was an idea. Sadly yes, nothing beats DM hatred of an idea.

But nice to know Unorthodox doesn't mean "Has a unique system for how the class works". Which I kinda figured since you mentioned you didn't want to learn a new system for Truenamer.

You could go with a bard type. Jack up your social skills, use your Bardic Music and Bardic Magic all on social skill effects. Run through the entire adventure never drawing a weapon, never buffing your teammates, never healing, never blasting, never controlling. Just bluff, dip, intimidate, and generally out charisma all your opposition.

Which can be kinda fun to do, particularly as a one off so it doesn't get old. And something I at least rarely see players do. Well, rarely see players do WELL I should stress. Just don't do things like "I roll bluff", but really work the imagination and come up with what you're bluffing with.

"Let me in, I'm on the list, don't you have me on the list? I'm Baron Dain Von Krantzenburg Talshora Vic Naleen Dergraff of Zietsholm! How dare you not accommodate someone of my station!"

lol humerous. Unfortunately the majority of the one of will be a dungeon filled with evil worshipers of Nerull trying to create soul eaters to destroy the world. I have the feeling being the face won't do much. Though if I do do Bard this will make for interesting role play. Also nice name you came up with there it is almost perfect.
Hmm let's assume I decide to go with a that marshal bard. Thoughts on role play ideas? I want something silly but interesting.

Do you have access to dragon magazine? If so, why not have fun with the charlatan prestige class in, I think, 335 with jedi mind tricks and sterf. Continuing having nearly the same fun even in an anti-magic field.

Dragon is allowed with permission. I'll check the class out.