PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Making an Alchemist do More

Malrone
2013-04-08, 08:12 AM
Great and knowing members of the Playground, I come with an inquisition.

I am currently playing an Alchemist Tiefling (more bestial than beguiling, racially) and hope to wring more out his abilities to create than simply Bombs and the odd Splash Weapon. I have maxed Craft(Alchemy) [duh], Know(Engineering), Know(Arcana), and Spellcraft, with direct access to a PC Magus' spellbook. He's currently a low level Grenadier archetype, Know(Eng) is considered a class skill, and the setting is the default Emerging Guns level of technology.

So I ask, what sorts of fun and interesting things can I make, RAW? We have all the SRD to play with. I dream of golems, but it seems a pipe-dream.

Psyren
2013-04-08, 08:27 AM
There's a bunch of alchemical items you can craft here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances)

As far as making constructs, Alchemists can qualify for the Craft Construct feat as they have a caster level. However, most constructs require various spells to be cast during their creation - even when such spells show up on the alchemist extracts list, they tend to be self-only. However, you do get UMD so you may be able to get through the creation process with a few wands.

Malrone
2013-04-08, 08:32 AM
However, you do get UMD so you may be able to get through the creation process with a few wands.

I hadn't thought of that application! Bothersome, to be sure, but it is functional. Many thanks.

And I have been working my way through that monstrous list. So far, the only inspiration besides the intended use for the various bits and bobs has been Steam Power, enhanced.

stack
2013-04-08, 09:00 AM
There's a bunch of alchemical items you can craft here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances)

As far as making constructs, Alchemists can qualify for the Craft Construct feat as they have a caster level. However, most constructs require various spells to be cast during their creation - even when such spells show up on the alchemist extracts list, they tend to be self-only. However, you do get UMD so you may be able to get through the creation process with a few wands.

Though I am reluctant to contradict Psyren, I'm not sure that they actually do have a caster level. Alchemists are weird. Everywhere it would normally say 'caster level', it says 'using their alchemist level as caster level', implying that it is't actually a caster level for normal purposes.

...their effects can be dispelled by effects like dispel magic using the alchemist’s level as the caster level...

Brew Potion (Ex)
At 1st level, alchemists receive Brew Potion as a bonus feat. An alchemist can brew potions of any formula he knows (up to 3rd level), using his alchemist level as his caster level.

They also require a specific note to allow spell trigger items, noting that they cannot use spell completion items. If they were normal casters that note would not be there.

Not saying I think these where necessarily the right design choices, but RAW they don't have a caster level.

Psyren
2013-04-08, 09:27 AM
Though I am reluctant to contradict Psyren, I'm not sure that they actually do have a caster level.

You should never be reluctant to speak your mind :smallsmile: That's how we give the best quality advice.

Anyway, APG says the following:

The alchemist uses his level as the caster level to determine any effect based on caster level.

So I would say they're in the clear as far as crafting and prerequisites.

Another interesting point: the CRB defines caster level as "levels in a spellcasting class." Ultimate Magic gives a list of spellcasting classes; Alchemist is included on the list, while Fighter, Rogue and Barbarian are not.

stack
2013-04-08, 09:40 AM
I would recommend double checking with the DM, to be safe (as always). Again, the way the worded the alchemist is weird, so it generates confusion. I'm not certain that the 'any effect' was intended that way. Listing them as casters is indicative, but not definitive. I wonder if, when they wrote the class initially, they intended them to be more different, then kind of gave up on the idea over time?

Either way, I would allow it, just cautioning that some might argue the point.

Malrone
2013-04-08, 10:55 PM
I think this all should be kosher with the DM. He's been permissive enough, if a bit rough around the edges with some rules. I have to ask, though: If I take Craft(Clockwork), would I need someone else to actually manufacture the parts?