PDA

View Full Version : Muted!

Scorpier
2013-04-08, 09:51 AM
Well. Background: It's a 3.5 version called Midnight. the basic gist is the BBEG won and is the only god. He controlls most all the magic, and other magic is VERY rare, and rebellion and good peoples are few and far between.
Our DM threw in a djinn that qwas summoned by a ring. He would trade us magical items for things we found on our quests. enter the deck of many things.
My Wildlander (Midnight version of Ranger)/Deepwood Sniper/Paladin happened upon a deck of many things variant, and among other things, ended up mute. It's an interesting development, as he leads a not insignificant amount of followers and is the only thing in the party resembling a moral compass (We're SUPPOSED to be the last of the good guys working desperately to overthrow the BBEG). Now I cannot talk.

You guys got any idears bout which way to go? I'd LIKE to get my voice back, but the trading djinn won't have it and, as magic is rare, magicing it back is not really a viable option. Are there any feats or the like associated with being mute?

caden_varn
2013-04-08, 10:20 AM
Well, that is what you get for not burning the deck of many things in the first place. Now you will need to lead your followers through the power of Mime!
Should make for interesting church services if nothing else. :smallsmile:

As for actually being helpful - obviously you can still write stuff down, so make sure you have plenty of parchment and ink at hand?
You may be able to talk the DM into letting you have a sign language. Long time since I looked at Midnight, so I don't remember if it had any built-in sign language, but it is probably a reasonable thing to have in the setting (being able to communicate silently sounds a really good idea). Of course you need to persuade at least some of the group to also learn the sign langauge.

Scorpier
2013-04-08, 10:26 AM
Well, that is what you get for not burning the deck of many things in the first place. Now you will need to lead your followers through the power of Mime!
Should make for interesting church services if nothing else. :smallsmile:

As for actually being helpful - obviously you can still write stuff down, so make sure you have plenty of parchment and ink at hand?
You may be able to talk the DM into letting you have a sign language. Long time since I looked at Midnight, so I don't remember if it had any built-in sign language, but it is probably a reasonable thing to have in the setting (being able to communicate silently sounds a really good idea). Of course you need to persuade at least some of the group to also learn the sign langauge.
I like your first one. The church of Mime. YES. I'm actually considering it...

But there is one sign language, called snow elf patrol sign or the like. I guess I should try picking that one up, but then there'd be the journey of getting allies to learn it, too as you said. Thanks, though :)

Fable Wright
2013-04-08, 07:38 PM
You can still write, so convincing your allies to learn the sign language and/or teaching it to them probably won't be that hard. It also gives you a way of actually contributing to conversations in the meantime. You could also have notecards with default messages on them, color coded for ease of your allies reference. When you hold up a yellow card, it means you found something. A red one, you need the party to stop. And of course, you should actually write everything out in the discussions at the game table, rather than just saying it.

Alternatively, teach someone's Raven familiar sign language, and another English. They then act as automatic translators, as long as you keep them fed.

QuidEst
2013-04-11, 02:13 PM
Getting a hold of telepathy in some form would be a great way to fix things in the long run. Befriending a creature with it to relay your words is a decent stop-gap measure.

Bulhakov
2013-04-11, 04:12 PM
Any chance of obtaining a talking psychic parrot as a familiar? ;)

For a more serious idea that could make for some interesting roleplay, try talking the DM into letting you get some sort of a touch telepathy item, which would allow you to directly relay your thoughts to someone, but only if you're touching them.

endoperez
2013-04-11, 05:42 PM
Pseudodragons have telepathy and are Neutral Good. You could get one to use as an interpreter... a mischievous interpreter who doesn't understand your message perfectly.

Maybe you can get access to a paladin Mount that can speak. The mount has an Empathic Link with the paladin. Unicorns, for example, can speak Common.

caden_varn
2013-04-12, 06:01 AM
From what I remember of the setting, any solution using magic (unless it is a one-off cure) is likely to cause major problems - the bad guys don't like people using magic, and have abilities which can detect magic being used. And having a unicorn mount will almost certainly mark you out for their attention (said attention being of the pointy kind).

Of course this really depends on the DM - if he has already allowed in the deck of many things (the fool), he may let you get away with more stuff like this...

Eldan
2013-04-12, 08:13 AM
As an impromptu solution, get a slate and some chalk.

caden_varn
2013-04-12, 09:05 AM
As an impromptu solution, get a slate and some chalk.

The chalk will also help if you go for the mime option, as you obviously need to have a white face.

You are asking to have your DM trap you in a forcecage or hit you with Gust of Wind if you take that route though :smallbiggrin:

Deathkeeper
2013-04-12, 11:41 AM
Well, if you're feeling dangerous you can draw again from the DoMT and hope that you get the Wish card. Or the 'Undo Personal Mistake' card that some variants have.

Arbane
2013-04-12, 12:04 PM
Learn to whistle?

mjlush
2013-04-13, 10:13 AM
Well, if you're feeling dangerous you can draw again from the DoMT and hope that you get the Wish card. Or the 'Undo Personal Mistake' card that some variants have.

Exactly how is he going to speak that wish ?:smalltongue:

caden_varn
2013-04-13, 12:44 PM
Through mime!