PDA

View Full Version : Question about alighned weapons

Seraphem
2013-04-08, 10:56 AM
okay so in a Pathfinder game, and having a debate with our DM. Does an intelligent weapon with the Chaotic Good alignment, count a a "Good" weapon when it come to bypassing DR/Good?

laeZ1
2013-04-08, 10:58 AM
Only when the DM says it does.

Seraphem
2013-04-08, 11:03 AM
Here's the ting with our DM, he really really hates making or altering rules on his own.Always going with what the actual written rules say, but can't find either way on this one.

Jeraa
2013-04-08, 12:17 PM
No, it doesn't count. A creatures (or in this case, intelligent weapon) alignment actually has no bearing on damage reduction at all. Its subtypes do. A lawful good creature does not automatically overcome lawful or good damage reduction, but a creature with the [Lawful] and [Good] subtypes does.

If an intelligent items alignment helped it to overcome damage reduction, it would say so.

Seraphem
2013-04-08, 02:50 PM
Yes on the creature portion it doesn't count, however, it should still count under the Align Weapon spell

"Align weapon makes a weapon chaotic, evil, good, or lawful, as you choose. A weapon that is aligned can bypass the damage reduction of certain creatures. This spell has no effect on a weapon that already has an alignment. "

Not subtype, alignment. The weapon already has an alignment and so the spell cannot be cast on it. So it should count as already having that spell on it for it's given alignment.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-08, 04:29 PM
That's actually a pretty good point, I'm not really sure how that should work. I suppose the RAW solution would be to have the item roll its Will save against align weapon for a contrary alignment. Well, that or the default RAW answer to questions about spells, "Whatever. It's magic, okay?" :smallwink:

EDIT: I misread "count" as "counter," but I still think casting align weapon on an item which actually has its own alignment is an interesting question. With regard to the actual question, the difference between a weapon with an alignment and the spell align weapon is that the latter notes specifically that it enables the weapon to bypass DR, and specific overrules general.

Seraphem
2013-04-08, 04:46 PM
Except it doesn't specify it all it says is

A weapon that is aligned can bypass the damage reduction of certain creatures

Not a weapon aligned by this spell.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-08, 05:04 PM
I would read that to mean a weapon that has been "aligned" by the casting of the spell, not a weapon that has an alignment; semantically, I would assume an intelligent weapon is a weapon that "has an alignment," while one under the effects of align weapon is is "aligned." You and the DM could certainly choose a different interpretation, that's just how I'd read it, personally.