PDA

View Full Version : PF question about getting a magical beast

Dayaz
2013-04-08, 03:44 PM
Is it possible for a ranger or druid to get a magical beast as their companion? I'm wanting to get a Water Wraith (Inner Sea Beastiary PG 59) as a permanent comapanion.

Urpriest
2013-04-08, 03:48 PM
Regardless of whether there are ways for them to get magical beasts, Rangers and Druids in PF don't get normal creatures as animal companions, they get animal companion versions that have generic traits for a particular type. So getting an interesting creature won't do anything for you.

Keneth
2013-04-08, 04:03 PM
To my knowledge, there is no way of getting a specific magical beast as animal companion. There are only one or two ways of turning your animal companion into a magical beast.

You're gonna need something like Leadership or some DM fiat.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-08, 05:19 PM
Rangers can take the Hippogriff Rider Archetype and get a Hippogriff. Those are magical beasts. Perhaps you could homebrew a similar archetype with stats for a Water Wraith companion.

Have you considered playing a Summoner? You could pretty easily create one with the Eidolon rules.

Dayaz
2013-04-08, 05:22 PM
Rangers can take the Hippogriff Rider Archetype and get a Hippogriff. Those are magical beasts. Perhaps you could homebrew a similar archetype with stats for a Water Wraith companion.

Have you considered playing a Summoner? You could pretty easily create one with the Eidolon rules.

1. That's... actually a really good idea, I might have to do that for a few other magical beast too as a 'Magical Beast Tamer' Ranger Archetype. But the DM said he'll look into turning a Water Wraith into an Animal companion for me so that's fixed for now.

2. I could have, easily, but it just wouldn't feel the same, ya know? (and I can't use my Eidolon for Mammoth Lord PrC, can I?)