PDA

View Full Version : Does Anything provide immunity to taint?

CyberThread
2013-04-08, 03:47 PM
Quick question

Does anything provide immunity to taint?

hydraa
2013-04-08, 03:51 PM
not immunity, but a few things absorbs, such as jade and silk sash

nyarlathotep
2013-04-08, 03:56 PM
The pure soul feat from Heroes of Horror page 124 gives complete immunity to taint. Prerequisites are that you are non-evil and do not have any taint currently.

TuggyNE
2013-04-08, 08:24 PM
The UA style of taint (I'm not sure about the HoH one) allows undead and [evil]-subtyped creatures to be immune to its negative effects.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-08, 08:36 PM
The UA style of taint (I'm not sure about the HoH one) allows undead and [evil]-subtyped creatures to be immune to its negative effects.

Ditto for the HoH version, but they get the benefits as if they had taint = 1/2 Cha + 1. Hello free feats!

Incidentally, this means a charisma-based undead or [evil] caster with Charisma >20 is better off staying a sorcerer than going into Tainted Scholar, since their (taint score + 10), which is what they use for casting, will be lower than their Charisma.

Karnith
2013-04-08, 09:18 PM
Incidentally, this means a charisma-based undead or [evil] caster with Charisma >20 is better off staying a sorcerer than going into Tainted Scholar, since their (taint score + 10), which is what they use for casting, will be lower than their Charisma.
Well, it's a better choice until you start using tainted spellcasting/summon a taint elemental/hang out in tainted places, in which case things get out of hand pretty quickly.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-08, 09:24 PM
Well, it's a better choice until you start using tainted spellcasting/summon a taint elemental/hang out in tainted places, in which case things get out of hand pretty quickly.

Actually, the way I read it, [evil] and Undead creatures always have taint scores equal to 1/2 Charisma + 1, regardless of what they do or where they stay:

Creatures with the Evil subtype and undead creatures are immune to any negative effects from taint. They automatically have effective corruption and depravity scores equal to one-half their Charisma score, +1 for undead or +2 for outsiders

Karnith
2013-04-08, 09:26 PM
Actually, the way I read it, [evil] and Undead creatures always have taint scores equal to 1/2 Charisma + 1, regardless of what they do or where they stay:
Creatures with the Evil subtype and undead creatures are immune to any negative effects from taint. They automatically have effective corruption and depravity scores equal to one-half their Charisma score, +1 for undead or +2 for outsiders
They automatically have the taint scores (or "effective corruption and depravity scores," whatever that means) equal to the formula, which provides a baseline, but there is nothing stopping them from accruing more. Or, at least, that's how I read it.

The Ravensong
2013-04-09, 02:26 AM
Being a Nezumi will protect you from taint.

ArcturusV
2013-04-09, 03:09 AM
Similarly classing into Maho-Bujin or Maho-Tsukai gives you partial immunity, or leveling into Akutsukai/Akutenshi would give you immunity to the downsides of Taint. Nagas are also immune to Taint.

Crake
2013-04-09, 04:33 AM
They automatically have the taint scores (or "effective corruption and depravity scores," whatever that means) equal to the formula, which provides a baseline, but there is nothing stopping them from accruing more. Or, at least, that's how I read it.

Heros of Horror splits up taint into two types, mental and physical taint, named depravity and corruption respectively. Corruption results in physical manifestations, such as boils, or your eyes burning out and becoming blue flames, while depravity results in you slowly going insane.

Alleran
2013-04-09, 05:36 AM
Wouldn't "effective" mean that regardless of your actual score, you only have the effective score? You could have five hundred points of taint, but your effective score (i.e. the one that counts) would only be 1/2 CHA + 1.

I don't think there's much other than the Evil subtype that allows you access to Taint with no downsides, even just the cosmetic ones (Undead is, well, you're undead and look it, and even the Maho-tsukai and so on still give you mental and internal physical effects).