PDA

View Full Version : Tentative Soulborn Fix

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-08, 06:39 PM
The soulborn is an awesome concept – I love the idea of a warrior who uses incarnum to increase his natural melee prowess and to (minorly) support his party. Sadly, the class (as presented) fails in this concept completely. The “Share incarnum defense” ability kicks in way too late, and is far too limited to be of any use, and their meldshaping is pretty much useless as-is. Now, this will be my first homebrew, so opinions are gratefully accepted.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moi_gallery/91230.jpg
The Soulborn

Abilities: Soulborn rely heavily on Strength and Constitution as primary melee combatants. Their meldshaping is also based on Constitution (number of melds, as well as setting the save DCs), as is their Improved shaping abilities. Charisma is used for the Smite opposition ability.

Alignment: Soulborns are polarized in their alignments, hewing to strong convictions of morality and ethics. As such, they can only be Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil or Chaotic Evil.

Starting Gold: As soulborn (MoI)

Starting Age: As Paladin

Hit Die: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|
Soulmelds|
Essentia|
Chakra Binds

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Aura, Smite opposition 1/day|
1|
0|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Incarnum Defense|
1|
0|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1| Bonus feat|
1|
1|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Soul Protection (minor)|
1|
1|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Smite opposition 2/day|
1|
2|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Share incarnum defense|
2|
2|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Chakra binds (crown, feet, hands)|
2|
3|

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Bonus feat, combative shaping (crown, feet, hands)|
2|
3|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Expanded soulmeld capacity +1|
2|
4|

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Smite opposition 3/day|
2|
5|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Chakra Binds (arms, brow, shoulders)|
3|
6|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Combative shaping (arms, brow, shoulders)|
3|
7|

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Bonus feat|
3|
8|

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Soul protection (full)|
3|
9|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Chakra binds (throat, waist), smite opposition 3/day|
4|
10|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Combative shaping (throat, waist)|
4|
11|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Expanded soulmeld capacity +2|
4|
12|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Bonus feat|
4|
13|

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Timeless body|
5|
14|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Chakra bind (heart), smite opposition 5/day|
5|
15|
4[/table]
Class Skills (4 + Intelligence modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).

A Lawful Good soulborn adds Diplomacy (Cha) to the class skills above, while a Chaotic Good soulborn adds Gather Information (Cha), a Lawful Evil soulborn adds Bluff (Cha) and a Chaotic Evil soulborn adds Intimidate (Cha).

Class Features

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: As vanilla Soulborn

Aura (Ex): As vanilla Soulborn

Smite opposition (Su): As vanilla Soulborn, except that the Smite opposition feature can be used to qualify for any feat or prestige class that requires Smite (assuming that they fulfill the other requirements).

Meldshaping: As the vanilla Soulborn, except for three things.
Their meldshaper level is equal to their Soulborn level, not half as previous
I’ve made a new list for Soulborn soulmelds, removing some and adding others.
They gain the ability to shape a single soulmeld at first level

Incarnum defense (Su): As vanilla Soulborn

Bonus Feat: At 3rd, 8th, 13th and 18th levels, you gain a bonus feat from the following list: Bonus Essentia , Incarnum-fortified Body, Split Chakra, any feat that requires Smite as a prerequisite, or any feat.

Soul Protection (Su) : At 4th level, a Soulborn receives a bonus to their saving throws equal to half their Constitution bonus. Beginning at 14th level, they receive a bonus equal to their full Constitution bonus.

Share Incarnum Defense (Su): Every ally within a radius of 20ft whose alignment does not oppose your shares your Incarnum Defense class ability. You may invest additional essentia into this ability; for every point of essentia, your aura’s radius expands by 10ft (subject to normal limitations).

Chakra Binds: As vanilla Soulborn

Combative Shaping (Su): When you have a soulmeld shaped in certain body slots, you receive a bonus based on your level.
[i]Crown: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your crown chakra, you receive uncanny insight into battle. Beginning at 8th level, enemies do not receive the +2 bonus to attack while flanking you (although you are still considered flanked). At 12th level, you receive the Uncanny Dodge ability. At 16th level, you are never considered flanked unless you choose to be.
Feet: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your feet chakra, you can react more quickly to danger. Beginning at 8th level, you gain a +2 insight bonus to Initiative and are treated as if you had the Combat Reflexes feat. At 12th level, you can make attacks of opportunity even when flat-footed. At 16th level, your Dexterity is considered 4 points higher for determining the amount of attacks of opportunity that you can make.
Hands: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your hands chakra, your hands guide your attacks to where they’ll inflict the most damage. Beginning at 8th level, you receive an insight bonus to melee damage rolls equal to ¼ of your meldshaper level.
Arms: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your arms chakra, you can deal devastating blows in combat. Beginning at 12th level, you are treated as if you have the Power Critical feat for any melee weapon that you wield. At 16th level, you are also treated as if you have the Improved Critical feat. This ability stacks any existing quality that improves the critical range of your weapon.
Brow: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your brow chakra, you have an instinctual sense of where your foes are. Beginning at 12th level, you are treated as if you have the Blind-fight feat. Need a 16th level ability for this chakra.
Shoulders: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your shoulders chakra, you can feel Incarnum infusing your body, rendering you more resistant to physical blows. Beginning at 12th level, you have a 25% chance to negate sneak attacks and critical hits. At 16th level, this increases to 50%. This ability does not stack with the fortification armor enhancement, or any similar ability that grants it.
Throat: Not sure yet.
Waist: Any ideas?

Improved Soulmeld Capacity (Su): At 9th level and again at 17th level, the essentia cap of your soulmelds increases by 1, superseding the normal essentia cap. This applies only to your soulmelds, not any [incarnum] feats that you may have, nor your Share Incarnum Defense class feature.

Timeless Body (Ex): As vanilla Soulborn.

Soulborn Soulmelds (by Chakra)

Crown Crystal Helm
Diadem of Purelight
Hunter’s Circlet
Soulspeaker Circlet
Feet Cerulean Sandals
Impulse Boots
Thunderstep Boots
Hands Gloves of the Poisoned Soul
Lightning Gauntlets
Lucky Dice
Mauling Gauntlets
Rageclaws
Arms Armguards of Disruption
Bluesteel Bracers
Lammasu Mantle
Lifebond Vestments
Mauling Gauntlets
Riding Bracers
Sailor’s Bracers
Brow Fearsome Mask
Great Raptor Mask
Silvertongue Mask
Truthseeker Goggles
Shoulders Adamant Pauldrons
Lammasu Mantle
Pauldrons of Health
Therapeutic Mantle
Wind Cloak
Throat Ankeg Breastplate
Brass Mane
Silvertongue Mask
Soulspeaker Circlet
Winter Mask
Waist Flame Cincture
Lamia Belt
Strongheart Vest
Vitality Belt
Wormtail Belt
Heart Lifebond Vestments
Spellward Shirt
Strongheart Vest
*note: remove the [Evil] descriptor from the Lamia Belt soulmeld.

Thoughts?

Garryl
2013-04-09, 08:28 AM
I like where this is going, but it's still missing something. In particular, you're no better or more interesting at the lowest of levels (level 1 has no class features other than a 1/day smite, level 2 is still a very situational immunity). I'd add one extra soulmeld at each level. That also helps with the fact that your essentia is right up with your total class-granted essentia capacity up through level 6 (thus negating the reassignment mechanic as everything is full all the time), gives you a few more options earlier on, and makes it so you have a bit more difference between the number of melds shaped and the number of melds bound.

Note that the 12th level Feet ability is redundant with the Combat Reflexes granted by the 8th level ability.

Zireael
2013-04-09, 09:33 AM
1) What source is soulborn from?
2) I like the pic.
3) What did you change?

kestrel404
2013-04-09, 02:17 PM
Start with soulmelds from 1st level. In fact, just add one at first level and carry it through. You're not going to overpower anything, especially since you don't get any essentia until 3rd level.

@Zireael - Soulborn is from Magic of Incarnum. They're like a paladin with spellcasting replaced by Meldshaping (MoI's core mechanic). They're considered the worst meldshaping class because the other classes are, at best, tier 3, and the Soulborn is basically a 1/2 meldshaper at best.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-09, 09:01 PM
I like where this is going, but it's still missing something. In particular, you're no better or more interesting at the lowest of levels (level 1 has no class features other than a 1/day smite, level 2 is still a very situational immunity). I'd add one extra soulmeld at each level. That also helps with the fact that your essentia is right up with your total class-granted essentia capacity up through level 6 (thus negating the reassignment mechanic as everything is full all the time), gives you a few more options earlier on, and makes it so you have a bit more difference between the number of melds shaped and the number of melds bound.

Note that the 12th level Feet ability is redundant with the Combat Reflexes granted by the 8th level ability.

Well well, would you believe that I've been reading Combat Reflexes wrong all these years? I'll be damned. I'm going to shift the entire soulmeld column up 2 levels, so you get access to a single soulmeld at first level, giving you something cool to play around with at first level.

1) What source is soulborn from?
2) I like the pic.
3) What did you change?

The image is from the Magic of Incarnum web gallery over at WotC's offical website.

Start with soulmelds from 1st level. In fact, just add one at first level and carry it through. You're not going to overpower anything, especially since you don't get any essentia until 3rd level.

@Zireael - Soulborn is from Magic of Incarnum. They're like a paladin with spellcasting replaced by Meldshaping (MoI's core mechanic). They're considered the worst meldshaping class because the other classes are, at best, tier 3, and the Soulborn is basically a 1/2 meldshaper at best.

Excellent suggestion. Any more for the Combative meldshaping features?

And I'd argue that the Incarnate (at least) is a pretty solid (low) T3, as is the Totemist.

Ammutseba
2013-04-09, 09:56 PM
I have a suggestion.

Combative shaping (waist): As long as a soulmeld occupies your waist chakra, you gain temporary hit points equal to one half your meldshaper level at the beginning of each round. These temporary hit points last for 1 round, and do not stack with temporary hit points gained from other sources.

vasharanpaladin
2013-04-09, 10:05 PM
And I'd argue that the Incarnate (at least) is a pretty solid (low) T3, as is the Totemist.

It is, in fact. :smallcool:

Soulborn as written languishes in T5 along with the fighter and paladin.

kestrel404
2013-04-10, 07:28 AM
I have a suggestion.

Combative shaping (waist): As long as a soulmeld occupies your waist chakra, you gain temporary hit points equal to one half your meldshaper level at the beginning of each round. These temporary hit points last for 1 round, and do not stack with temporary hit points gained from other sources.

That's significantly more powerful than any of the soulmelds that exist.

Far more appropriate would be:

Combative shaping (waist): As long as a soulmeld occupies your waist chakra, you gain temporary hit points equal 1/2 the amount of essentia invested in that soulmeld (round up) at the beginning of each round. These temporary hit points last for 1 round, and do not stack with temporary hit points gained from other sources. Scratch this, see below.

Accomplishes the same effect without requiring the GM to double the amount of damage he's throwing at you.

Edit: I'll just go through the whole Combative Shaping thing:

Combative Shaping (Su): When you have a soulmeld shaped in certain body slots, you receive a bonus based on your level.

Crown: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your crown chakra, you receive uncanny insight into battle. Beginning at 8th level, enemies do not receive the +2 bonus to attack while flanking you (although you are still considered flanked). At 12th level, you receive the Uncanny Dodge ability. At 16th level, you are never considered flanked unless you choose to be.
Feet: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your feet chakra, you can react more quickly to danger. Beginning at 8th level, you gain a +2 insight bonus to Initiative and are treated as if you had the Combat Reflexes feat. At 12th level, you can make attacks of opportunity even when flat-footed. At 16th level, your Dexterity is considered 4 points higher for determining the amount of attacks of opportunity that you can make.
Hands: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your hands chakra, your hands guide your attacks to where they’ll inflict the most damage. Beginning at 8th level, you receive an insight bonus to melee damage rolls equal to ¼ of your meldshaper level.
Arms: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your arms chakra, you can deal devastating blows in combat. Beginning at 12th level, you are treated as if you have the Power Critical feat for any melee weapon that you wield. At 16th level, you are also treated as if you have the Improved Critical feat. This ability stacks any existing quality that improves the critical range of your weapon.
Brow: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your brow chakra, you have an instinctual sense of where your foes are. Beginning at 12th level, you are treated as if you have the Blind-fight feat. Need a 16th level ability for this chakra.
Shoulders: As long as a soulmeld is occupying your shoulders chakra, you can feel Incarnum infusing your body, rendering you more resistant to physical blows. Beginning at 12th level, you have a 25% chance to negate sneak attacks and critical hits. At 16th level, this increases to 50%. This ability does not stack with the fortification armor enhancement, or any similar ability that grants it.
Throat: Not sure yet.
Waist: Any ideas?

Overall, you've got a bit of a problem. At lower levels this would work fine, but at the higher levels, you start to get a LOT of misc. powers from having 5 soulmelds shaped, with 2-3 EXTRA effects from each shaped soulmeld. Considering what mages are doing at this level, I wouldn't really consider this to be an issue normally, but Meldshapers already have the problem of having a lot of random, miscelasneous effects going on at once, and this just makes it worse. I'd strongly consider changing each of the combative meldshaping powers into a static 'insight' bonus to something appropriate. That way you can increase the boni without causing headaches.

Crown: Uncanny dodge, and increase your bonus when flanking by +1. Increase bonus by +1 every 4 levels.
Feet: +2 insight bonus to Initiative and are treated as if you had the Combat Reflexes feat. Increase bonus by +1 every 2 levels
Hands: Weapon focus in a weapon chosen when you shape the soulmeld, and +2 damage. Increase damage by +1 every 2 levels.

Arms: Power Critical feat for 1 weapon, chosen when you shape the soulmeld. +1 to crit threat range (after multipliers), increased by +1 every 4 levels.
Brow: Blind Fight, and +2 AC when you have any form of cover. Increase AC by +1 every 4 levels.
Shoulders: Fine as written.

Throat: Improved Bluff feat, and +2 insight bonus to all saves. Bonus increases to +3 at 20th level.
Waist: Improved Toughness feat (+1 HP/level) and gain 2 temp HP at the beginning of each round (temp HP don't stack). Increases to 3/round at 20th level.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-12, 08:32 PM
You know, I was going to write up a scathing reply about how soulborn don't need higher numbers, but then I realised - they so. They get enough variety of abilities from their soulmelds that with some higher numbers they might eke their way to a mid-hig T4 (my goal here).

As for the abilities, I cribbed them off of the Incarnum Blade (surprised nobody called me out on that, actually), because the concept is awesome, but Incarnum Blade sucks more than the Soulborn.

Crown: Uncanny dodge, and increase your bonus when flanking by +1. Increase bonus by +1 every 4 levels.
Feet: +2 insight bonus to Initiative and are treated as if you had the Combat Reflexes feat. Increase bonus by +1 every 2 levels
Hands: Weapon focus in a weapon chosen when you shape the soulmeld, and +2 damage. Increase damage by +1 every 2 levels.

Arms: Power Critical feat for 1 weapon, chosen when you shape the soulmeld. +1 to crit threat range (after multipliers), increased by +1 every 4 levels.
Brow: Blind Fight, and +2 AC when you have any form of cover. Increase AC by +1 every 4 levels.
Shoulders: Fine as written.

Throat: Improved Bluff feat, and +2 insight bonus to all saves. Bonus increases to +3 at 20th level.
Waist: Improved Toughness feat (+1 HP/level) and gain 2 temp HP at the beginning of each round (temp HP don't stack). Increases to 3/round at 20th level.

Crown: I like the Uncanny Dodge, but I'm not so sure I like the improvement to flanking bonus. While this does make you the melee rogue's bestie (as you'll always want to flank), it doesn't feel quite right to me.
Feet: This is one I quite like. Stacking bonus to Initiative, and Combat Reflexes.
Hands: Pretty much exactly what I envisioned, but perhaps I'll just change it to 1/2 meldshaping level for the bonus damage.

Arms: Again, you've hit the nail on the head.
Brow: I'm not quite sure why you'd propose a bonus to AC (which is beginning to become irrelevant at these levels anyways) to an uncommon situation here. I'll keep my Blind-fight and figure something else out.
Shoulders: Nothing needs to be said here.

Throat: By Improved Bluff I assume you mean either Skill Focus (Bluff) or Improved Feint. Neither really fit, and I'm hesitant to give the Soulborn another stack to his saving throws (after all, he's already getting Constitution to saves).
Waist: Maybe phrase it as "The Soulborn receives 2 temporary hit points per round, up to a maximum of X (perhaps twice his meldshaper level?) So effective fast healing 2 for the top bit of his health. I'm actually liking that more and more I look at it (and since it's received at 16th level, it's not too overpowering).