PDA

View Full Version : Best SR/ECL tradeoff?

Curmudgeon
2013-04-08, 11:54 PM
I'm working on a mage takedown character (using, among other things, the Mage Slayer feat line). However, one thing I'm missing is good spell resistance. What's the best SR available for the lowest cost in levels? Right now my guess is Pixie with SR = 15 + class levels at ECL +4 (all LA) isn't as good a choice as Bariaur (Planar Handbook, pages 7-8) with SR = 11 + class levels at ECL +2 (LA +1; 1 racial HD of Outsider). No, I'm not going to have the argument about how somehow the Humanoids with 1 HD class conversion rule can be stretched to non-Humanoids. I'm only going to stick with the RAW. With LA buyoff the Bariaur's LA+1 drops off for only 4,000 XP, and an Outsider HD isn't so bad for initial skill points, BAB, and saves. Conversely, the Pixie can't buy off any LA until ECL 16. :smallfrown: Also, that LA is mostly buying Greater Invisibility, which is of no use against any mage with common permanent spells.

What other race choices are there with good Extraordinary SR?

CyberThread
2013-04-09, 12:02 AM
I don't want to be that ..sort of guy..

but I have to..

Baurier do not have any racial die.....

Look at the racial stats, they have no racial die like all the other monsters that do, it only has a +1LA.

I will be using an ogre as an example

Racial Hit Dice: An ogre begins with four levels of giant, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1.

tyckspoon
2013-04-09, 12:18 AM

but I have to..

Baurier do not have any racial die.....

Look at the racial stats, they have no racial die like all the other monsters that do, it only has a +1LA.

Trust me, if Curmudgeon wants to saddle himself with an unnecessary racial die you aren't going to convince him otherwise.

Hmm.. From what I can recall and have on hand to easily search, I'd agree that Bauriar looks like the best bet. The only things I know of that are near would be the Karsite and of course the Drow, which are both LA +2 Humanoid races. Everything else has too much LA, HD, both, or is LA -. (Although if you want a particularly impressive/obscure way of getting Spell Resistance.. piss off a god bad enough to get an Aleax sicced on you. Kill it [the means of doing so is left as an exercise for the reader >.>] A character who successfully destroys his own Aleax gets a few neat permanent bonuses, one of which is SR 10+HD.)

Curmudgeon
2013-04-09, 12:19 AM
Then please don't. Examples, whether correct or incorrect, don't change the rules in the games I play in. You're not my DM, and you're not going to change his mind.

CyberThread
2013-04-09, 12:21 AM
. I'm only going to stick with the RAW .

Hmm , well that sucks if that is how your DM plays, maybe just be a drow then with lesser rules they have SR and makes them +1 without any racials (( they are not outsiders))

Edit: If an outsider has no racial dice, would your Dm play them with no health?

ZeroNumerous
2013-04-09, 12:23 AM
Then please don't. Examples, whether correct or incorrect, don't change the rules in the games I play in. You're not my DM, and you're not going to change his mind.

Then maybe you should post those houserules in the opening post? Because, otherwise, you're just hamstringing any possible help.

Regardless, RAW the Bariaur is flat-out the best non-magical SR available for the lowest LA.

Curmudgeon
2013-04-09, 12:30 AM
... maybe just be a drow then with lesser rules they have SR and makes them +1 without any racials (( they are not outsiders))
I'm not sure where you're getting that from. The Lesser Drow I know about is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040215a&page=2), and they don't have any SR.