PDA

View Full Version : Cleric/Rogue of the Bad Touch. (pathfinder only)

Valdras
2013-04-09, 12:13 AM
Hello all,

My group of friends that play pathfinder have been taking turns at being the GM, and now that I have had a go and someone else is GMing, I get to play a PC again. She is running an evil campaign, and we have been given no real background at this point.

So, I want to make a Dhampir Cleric, probably of Norgorber, and be bad touch, including using things like inflict wounds, and then take levels of Rogue, until I can qualify for assassin. It's very fluffy, but probably not optimised even slightly.

I just wanted to know some things..

1. If I was flanking, could I do a Sneak Inflict Light Wounds. (I think this is a yes as it is an attack roll)

2. I count as undead, but I am living, so if I channel neg energy, can I harm others while healing myself?

2b. If that is a no to begin with, is there a way of making it happen.

3. I love archetypes, any suggestions on the rogue or cleric options?

4. Or should I make a Fletchling? is there advantages to it over being a Dhampir?

5. I figure assuming this build would work, I would go Wis > Cha > Con > Str > Dex > Int?

Any help is appreciated, and you are all awesome whether or not you reply :).

Psyren
2013-04-09, 12:28 AM
1. If I was flanking, could I do a Sneak Inflict Light Wounds. (I think this is a yes as it is an attack roll)

2. I count as undead, but I am living, so if I channel neg energy, can I harm others while healing myself?

2b. If that is a no to begin with, is there a way of making it happen.

4. Or should I make a Fletchling? is there advantages to it over being a Dhampir?

5. I figure assuming this build would work, I would go Wis > Cha > Con > Str > Dex > Int?

Any help is appreciated, and you are all awesome whether or not you reply :).

1) Yes, you can sneak attack with any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage.

2) No - with Channel Energy, you must choose whether to harm or heal with each use, whether you channel positive or negative energy.

2b) There may be a feat of some kind that lets you do both at once, but I'm not familiar enough with PF feats to say for certain.

3) One of my favorite cleric archetypes is Theologian, which lets you prepare domain spells in non domain slots. This means that if you picked up a domain like Destruction, you could prepare multiple SA Disintegrates.

4) Someone else can field this better than I.

5) I would probably prioritize Dex over Str and take Weapon Finesse (Which applies to touch spells.) Dex will also help your rogue side with being sneaky. In fact, I would likely dump Str altogether since your spells and SA are doing most of the work.

Chaosvii7
2013-04-09, 12:34 AM
1. If I was flanking, could I do a Sneak Inflict Light Wounds. (I think this is a yes as it is an attack roll).

Not by default, no. Spells attacks are apart from melee and ranged attacks in that they cannot sneak attack. However, taking the Arcane Trickster Prestige Class(Core Rulebook) will eventually allow you to sneak attack with damaging spells. Given the route your character is on, it could be interesting, but it won't prove particularly useful, because it takes a while to get to(I think it's actually the capstone of the class).

Yes, you are healed by negative energy, and are in turn hurt by positive energy. Be very careful with regards to healing amongst yourself and your party - You ideally would want to selectively channel your allies so they do not take damage, but playing an evil cleric, who cares, right?

None off the top of my head, no.

There isn't much of a difference mechanically, and it's only as different fluff-wise as you decide to make it.

If you're going for a primary caster type using Cleric and Rogue, then you would want Wis => Dex > Con => Cha > Str > Int. This will allow you to competently fight while optimizing your spellcasting capabilities. Your channeling will suffer slightly, but it is numerically bound to fall flat after a certain point anyways.

(=> means greater than or equal to, if you can manage that)

Feralventas
2013-04-09, 12:42 AM
1) asked and answered.
2) are you sure about that Psyren? I don't see why you'd have to designate healing or harming effects in addition to the decision to channel negative or positive. Is there a line in the Cleric description that demands that?
2b) Doubt you can do all of them at once though.
3)Theologian does seem to work nicely. I'd also point out that the Night domain could work well for a stealth cleric/thief.
Rogue archetypes are heavily dependent on how you want to go about your business. Do you want to be a sneaky rogue, a semi-stabby rogue, talking rogue, maybe a snipe rogue?
4) Neither of them are human :p
But really either of them should work out nicely.
5) Personally, I'd say Wis Dex Cha Int Con Strength. You're a sneaky cleric and if you're doing well odds are you shouldn't be getting hit much. Alternatively, if you can convince your DM that your sneak-spells are your detiy's favored weapon, Channel Smite and Guided Hand mean you can also ignore Dex since Wis will be your attack stat.

Psyren
2013-04-09, 12:44 AM
Not by default, no. Spells attacks are apart from melee and ranged attacks in that they cannot sneak attack. However, taking the Arcane Trickster Prestige Class(Core Rulebook) will eventually allow you to sneak attack with damaging spells.

This is incorrect. Any spell with an attack roll can score a sneak attack.

The Arcane Trickster ability you're thinking of is different - it lets you add SA damage to spells that DON'T have attack rolls, such as Fireball or Magic Missile, so long as the target is flatfooted.

Yes, you are healed by negative energy, and are in turn hurt by positive energy.

This is true, but the Channel Energy ability specifically only lets you choose "damage X" or "heal Y" when activated.

"An evil cleric (or a neutral cleric who worships an evil deity) channels negative energy and can choose to deal damage to living creatures OR to heal undead creatures."

This is the direct mirror of the good cleric's channel ability - they must choose between blasting undead foes or healing allies, they cannot do both with the same channel by default.

A different effect, like Inflict Light Wounds, would be able to heal you or damage foes interchangeably as you would expect, but not Channel.

Valdras
2013-04-09, 12:45 AM
1 and 2 seem to have conflicting answers... but considering I know you can scorching ray Sneak attack I'm gonna assume Psyren is right for question 1.

Looking into Theologian.

Any other suggestions?

Roog
2013-04-09, 12:46 AM
Not by default, no. Spells attacks are apart from melee and ranged attacks in that they cannot sneak attack.

Could you tell me where the rules state this?

Valdras
2013-04-09, 01:04 AM
I also figured I would be more of a talky rogue than anything else, as I was considering armour for safety while touching people in close combat/flanking

Vaz
2013-04-09, 03:46 AM
Take a level of Bard, and try and get the Animal Domain. Just so they can do it like they do on the discovery channel.