PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me build my Gnome Crusader :D

TomPliss
2013-04-09, 01:53 AM
Hey guys,

I'm doing a little one-shot D&D 3.5 next week-end. Will be my first game (and second character I build). We are playing lvl3 characters.

I think i'll play a Gnome Crusader of GlitterGold.

I've looked at the Tome Of Battle, at the maneuvers, and i'll focus on the Devotion part. Outside of this, i think about taking the "Minotaur Charge" and the "lead the attack" maneuvers.

What i'm wondering is whether I sould make a crusader3, or multiclass a little. Fighter, maybe, for the bonus feat ?

Other than that, i'm more used to d&d 4e, where there are some feats for the gnomes and the small-size races, to overcome the small-weapons disadvantages ...
I've taken a look through the Races Of Stone book, and only saw the +4AC dodge bonus VS medium+ size interesting ... Am I missing something ?

So, basically ... how would you build a lvl3 Gnome Crusader, for a one-shot ?

Jopustopin
2013-04-09, 02:38 AM
If it's just a one shot I recommend making a mounted build that forces opponents to attack you and not your allies.

1) Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)
3) Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)

Crusader's Strike
Stone Bones
Leading the Attack
Douse the Flames
Vanguard Strike
Mountain Hammer

Leading the Charge (Or Martial Spirit depending on group)
Iron Guard's Glare + Spiked Chain = Enemies can't easily attack your allies.

TomPliss
2013-04-09, 03:14 AM
Oh, I didn't think about the spiked chain for reaching threat with the Iron Guard's Glare stance, that's good ... But it means no more shield, right ?
Is the "no shield" malus big or not ?

I may try to overcome this, betting on medium and larger opponents, by getting Fighter1 to have Dodge as a bonus feat, and that Race Of Stone feat I talked about just above... Is this a good idea ?

About the mount : i'm clearly a noob about this. How is it supposed to help ?

Jopustopin
2013-04-09, 04:32 AM
Honestly, when I played a crusader I wanted my opponents to hit me. I'd provoke AoO while moving into flanking just to get larger bonuses to hit for my furious counterstrike. Your maneuvers are worthless if you're not hitting the guys. Ditch the shield.

The mount is so that you can move quickly around the battlefield. A gnome with medium/heavy armor has a speed of 15. On a riding dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dogRiding.htm) it's 40. Not to mention that the riding dog is, in it's own right, a capable combatant. So when you charge you can move 80 feet instead of 30. Baller? Then just move around the battlefield provoking AoO to fuel up your furious counterstrike (within reason) and position yourself where your enemies are most frustrated by your reach/Iron Guard's Glare.

Don't waste your time picking up a level of fighter. Mountain Hammer is better than any feat you could get.

TomPliss
2013-04-09, 07:58 AM
OK, now I like the mount idea :)

but ditching the shield means no more "Shield block" maneuver, which was quite nice.
By the way, is there any other "medium range" threatening weapon like the Siked chain ?
It doesn't look quite right for a mounted gnome, in my opinion :p

And if i'm not going for the shield, and as I am not really looking for damages (so maybe no Mountain Hammer), I may multiclass ...
I'll search whether I can find something good for a mounted soldier...

Jopustopin
2013-04-09, 08:21 AM
I also didn't like the fluff of using a spiked chain (it looks silly). When I did this same build my Gnome just used a greatsword and would use the "Dismount Attack" skill trick (Complete Scoundrel, Pg.86) to quickly get off his riding dog and into the thick of things. Then he would flank with his riding dog instead of staying on it the entire time.

1) Wild Cohort
3) Stone Power

This lowers the amount of battle field control you'll have but it'll make you much better at absorbing damage. You can use a longsword and shield or lance and shield depending on how often you plan on getting onto and off your riding dog.

Edit: Also Mountain Hammer isn't really just for offense. It's out of combat utility is amazing and if you come up against a creature with damage reduction it can be a life saver.

TomPliss
2013-04-09, 08:54 AM
I looked at "Dismount Attack" on the SRD, and it looks nice... Is it possible to use it with a Charging Minotaur maneuver, or some charging maneuver ?

Also, the small-size race keeps the Reach weapon advantage ?

And finally, little rule question :
What action does it use (normally) to change from the back of a mount with a lance in one hand and a shield in the other to on my feet, with a heavy pick (one-handed weapon) in one hand and still the shield in the other ?

Jopustopin
2013-04-09, 09:53 AM
I looked at "Dismount Attack" on the SRD, and it looks nice... Is it possible to use it with a Charging Minotaur maneuver, or some charging maneuver ?

If I was the DM I would say yes. I think RAW the answer might be no but only because dismount attack says you can use a standard action to attack someone as if you had charged and the maneuver is a full round action that requires you to actually charge.

Also, the small-size race keeps the Reach weapon advantage ?
Absolutely

And finally, little rule question :
What action does it use (normally) to change from the back of a mount with a lance in one hand and a shield in the other to on my feet, with a heavy pick (one-handed weapon) in one hand and still the shield in the other ?

Free action to drop the lance. Free action for quick dismount. It's a move action to pull out your heavy pick (or part of a move action). 300 gp and you can attach a "Least Crystal of Return" (Magic Item Compendium. Pg. 65) to your heavy pick. Then it would be a free action to draw your heavy pick.

Assuming all that you would leap off your riding dog while dropping your lance and pulling out your heavy pick all as free actions. You would still have your entire turn.

TomPliss
2013-04-09, 10:05 AM
Assuming all that you would leap off your riding dog while dropping your lance and pulling out your heavy pick all as free actions. You would still have your entire turn.
I love you :smallredface:

Rijan_Sai
2013-04-09, 10:36 AM
Just as a suggestion, see if you can get your DM to allow the Unofficial Errata (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13292.0), due to the horrid failure that is the Official Errata (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a).

If not, multiclassing for two level before you take your third Crusader level would not be a bad thing, due to the nasty progression of stances. (Personally, I would take two levels of Warblade instead of Fighter, but I prefer maneuvers to feats...)