PDA

View Full Version : Wu Jen and Guardian Spirit

Zia Menna
2013-04-09, 05:12 AM
Hi folks!

I'm struck with the interpretation of how the feat Guardian Spirit (Complete Arcane) influences the class feature Watchful Spirit of the Wu Jen base class (also Complete Arcane).

Is the feat Guardian Spirit granting a total of 3 initiative rolls (original roll + 2 rerolls) in the same encounter?
It states that i get an additional reroll per day, not an additional use of the WuJen ability Watchful Spirit. Can i expend the two rerolls in the same initiative roll, rolling a total of 3 times?

Thank you in advance and in 3.5. :smallbiggrin:

Vaz
2013-04-09, 07:34 AM
Once per day, a wu jen can reroll an initiative roll she has just made before she knows her place in the initiative order. She takes the better of the two rolls.

Your watchful spirit allows you to reroll your initiative two times per day, as well as allowing you to reroll any saving throw once per day. These effects must be used immediately after the initial initiative check or saving throw is made.

Not entirely sure what's unclear about that. Twice a day, you can reroll your Initiative. And no, you cannot use the reroll on the reroll, as it's no longer the "initial roll" on a reroll.

Zia Menna
2013-04-09, 09:03 AM
Not entirely sure what's unclear about that. Twice a day, you can reroll your Initiative. And no, you cannot use the reroll on the reroll, as it's no longer the "initial roll" on a reroll.
Thanks Vaz.
I assume that i can't decide to use the ability in a fashion like: "ok, i roll the initiative *annnnd* i reroll it twice" before even rolling a dice. :smallsigh:

MesiDoomstalker
2013-04-09, 12:47 PM
Thanks Vaz.
I assume that i can't decide to use the ability in a fashion like: "ok, i roll the initiative *annnnd* i reroll it twice" before even rolling a dice. :smallsigh:

There isn't much point in doing that. What if your first (original) roll was a 20? Then the rerolls were irrelevant you couldn't roll higher and you wasted your rerolls. Save rerolls for when they are needed, using them preemptively is counter intuitive.

Zia Menna
2013-04-10, 05:10 AM
There isn't much point in doing that. What if your first (original) roll was a 20? Then the rerolls were irrelevant you couldn't roll higher and you wasted your rerolls. Save rerolls for when they are needed, using them preemptively is counter intuitive.

I fully agree with you: it is sub-optimal to reroll 2 times in normal conditions, but not in a tournament with only one encounter per day! (that is my case).

In such cases a second reroll will statistically grant me an "equivalent" bonus of circa +2 (I've done some statistical study via http://rumkin.com/reference/dnd/diestats.php).
Remember that i can take the best result from my 3d20. :smallsmile:

My question is "it is possible doing 2 rerolls after the initial initiative roll in a single encounter?".

Ashtagon
2013-04-10, 05:24 AM
My question is "it is possible doing 2 rerolls after the initial initiative roll in a single encounter?".

Yes you can. But unless you absolutely know you are facing no more encounters that day, it is better to roll them one at a time, in case the 1st or 2nd roll is a 20.