PDA

View Full Version : Duel whip wielder

kingsolomon
2013-04-09, 05:18 AM
Ever since Mass Effect 3 hit and the N7 Vanguard came out.I have wanted to create a duel whip wielder. I thought a warlock would make the best class because you can channel your blast threw a melee weapon down side whips are ranged. My question is there a way to make a Whip a melee weapon and not ranged. Can't be a made up rule DM is a rule stickler.

ArcturusV
2013-04-09, 05:27 AM
It... IS a melee weapon? I mean, right there, page 117 of the Player's Handbook, table, one handed melee weapons, Exotic. Whip.

It's a melee weapon with Reach, not a Ranged weapon, which is the distinction. However, as per it's text entry on page 121, it doesn't Threaten, which can be an issue for you.

thethird
2013-04-09, 05:29 AM
What game system are you talking about? How can a warlock channel its blast through a melee weapon?

If this is 3.5 Why not use two kusari-gamas DMG pg. 144, or two spinning swords Secrets of Sarlona pg. 136?

panaikhan
2013-04-09, 07:11 AM
There was a 3.0 PrC that gave whips threaten, if i remember, out to their normal reach. (Lasher?)

Arc_knight25
2013-04-09, 07:51 AM
I've seen a lasher/rogue build based more on tripping and sneak attacking. His trips stop being affective around lvl 8 or so. When we started coming up against giants and large creatures with a good Str score. His sneak attack was alright, but that's all he had late game was sneak attack.

All the power to ya if you can pull it off.

Norin
2013-04-09, 12:07 PM
Best dual-whip wielding char EVER!

Well, i have not statted it out level by level yet, but the general idea is:
1: Duskblade base with full attack arcane channeling and TWF feats
2: Dip Bard or prestige bard
3: Go into Sublime chord
4: Full attack channel Otto's Irresistable dance on everything within reach while shouting "DANCE! DANCE!!!"
5: ????
6: PROFIT! (Or maybe laugh your ass off?)

It could be impossible to set up within 20 levels, but the idea had me and a friend giggling like little elven maids. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry if that was a bit far removed from what you really wanted. :smallwink:

Deadline
2013-04-09, 12:35 PM
What game system are you talking about? How can a warlock channel its blast through a melee weapon?

He's probably referring to the Hideous Blow invocation.

thethird
2013-04-09, 12:45 PM
The hideous blow is well... hideous.

Phippster
2013-04-09, 02:59 PM
Sword and Fist had the Spiked Whip, which had all the nice things about the whip (15 ft. reach, trip/disarm bonuses) but also dealt lethal damage, threatened all squares within range, and let you make attacks of opportunity.

Divide by Zero
2013-04-09, 03:27 PM
The hideous blow is well... hideous.

Hideous Blow blows hideously.

Since the invocation is a standard action, you can only make one attack with it, meaning dual-wielding is completely worthless for that purpose. Try a duskblade instead; once you get to level 13 you can channel on a full attack.

Elric VIII
2013-04-09, 09:28 PM
Would I be amiss to suggest Eldritch Glaive, reflavored as a whip?

saxavarius
2013-04-09, 10:06 PM
Best dual-whip wielding char EVER!

Well, i have not statted it out level by level yet, but the general idea is:
1: Duskblade base with full attack arcane channeling and TWF feats
2: Dip Bard or prestige bard
3: Go into Sublime chord
4: Full attack channel Otto's Irresistable dance on everything within reach while shouting "DANCE! DANCE!!!"
5: ????
6: PROFIT! (Or maybe laugh your ass off?)

9/10 I want to play

Metahuman1
2013-04-09, 11:02 PM
Duskblade or Bardblade with those spiked whips form sword and fist are probably your best bets.

Urpriest
2013-04-09, 11:57 PM
Pyrokineticist also works. For maximum benefit go with Diopsid (Dragon Compendium) for wielding two whips two-handed.

Psyren
2013-04-10, 01:08 AM
1) Actually the Cerberus Vanguard is the one with the dual whips - the N7 guy has a sword.

2) A cool way to do this might be the Psychic Whip power from Secrets of Sarlona, possibly twinned. Psychic Whip is much longer than regular whips (close range, 25ft. + 5ft./2 lvls), functions with sneak attack, and every hit forces a will save vs. stun in addition to the damage. you can also "draw" them both as a swift action using the 2 PP augment, letting you form both whips in an instant and full attack a foe 30 ft. away at level 8.

UnjustCustos
2013-04-10, 11:15 AM
1) Actually the Cerberus Vanguard is the one with the dual whips - the N7 guy has a sword.

2) A cool way to do this might be the Psychic Whip power from Secrets of Sarlona, possibly twinned. Psychic Whip is much longer than regular whips (close range, 25ft. + 5ft./2 lvls), functions with sneak attack, and every hit forces a will save vs. stun in addition to the damage. you can also "draw" them both as a swift action using the 2 PP augment, letting you form both whips in an instant and full attack a foe 30 ft. away at level 8.

We have a winner.

Talderas
2013-04-10, 01:19 PM
Water Whips from MiC are your friend. They deal lethal damage and don't have the issue with armor that a regular whip does. You'll still provoke AoOs for attacking with them.

They're actually very good for a disarm/trip based whip user. Since you can avoid being tripped by dropping the whip and this whip will rearm itself as a free action if you drop it.