PDA

View Full Version : When You Were 'That Guy'

Vknight
2013-04-09, 05:44 AM
Or at least when your group though you were that guy.
This is for all those people that may have done one thing with there build that got them that type of stigma attached with there group when they play. Or under a specific DM and/or game

This is for us to vent, carefully about these sometimes weird, sometimes bizzare but always head-banging when the happen encounters!

Seeker Softly Seeking or The Female Problem

I played a female character in a group with my players.
I am a guy
Crossplay is somehow freaky and weird
I made her competent in a fight and relying on hunter skills not good looks or charisma to win the day
She had thunder powers to be used for various purposes.
I wrecked an encounter in 2 rounds with planning
And am claimed to be abusing my character etc.
The planning for said encounter that caused this out-burst?
Flaming corpse down some stairs which I then shot when enemies went to check it out blasting them with the aftershock[thunder]....

Its Math Simple Math or How the Fighter beats the Mage

I dealt with a special type of stupid.
BAB increases every level is the best thing ever
The Wizards low HP sucks. The Cleric is a heal bot. The druid is a dirty hippy with a useless owl...
So join game
Party
-Ranger 5[Elf]
-Fighter 2/Ranger 3[Dwarf]
-Cleric 5[Forget] I help her make her character so has that great-hammer from Races of Stone huge size version at that. She rolls max damage on one attack and is called broken.
-Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Ranger 1[Elf]

-Sorcerer 1/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 2
Why am I 1 level ahead? The Gm though it would even out the balance between me and the group playing the squishy... We got Pathfinder Charisma rules for undead... Seeing a problem? Why was I an undead the Gm had these special templates each person started with one; I got the Water one either made you a ooze or undead[?]
Here is how the session went. Wand of Whatever(Probably Colour Spray). Walks through room. Coup De Graces things. Rogue takes second wand. I buff and go on to finish a extra room in the dungeon cause the party did not want to. Why cause it involved the broken guys character.
What had I done that was broken? Win or cripple a encounter or two. Most of the time he didn't get involved and tried to help with his ability to use Wisdom for Bow usage[template]
Point being. I buff up everything step into bonus room...
Its a Gelatinous Cube(At the bottom of a pit)... I have a graft that gives me flight... I fly above the pits its moving around in and drop a coin every now and then. And when it comes into view pelt it with arrows and alchemist fire. This super dangerous enemy beaten in a few rounds. Oh no a Cube of Jello beaten by not charging at it blindly

Were these template broken as all horrible stuff. No
They gave you a type. And a special thing like using Wisdom for ranged attacks and to AC. There was a Constitution one for earth which add Con mod to Natural Armor or something

So what got them actually so angry? I had made some broken character they assumed. Using some obscure 3rd party source or something. What actually happened GM ruled Arcane/Magic domain spells count as Arcane for purpose of Mystic Theurge... that is it. Told him otherwise he thought it was more awesome and balancing... I was a Lvl 5 Cleric, Lvl 3 wizard casting wise.
And after that Mystic Theurge is now considered banned because its broken.......

Its One More Attack! or Seriously its one more attack a fight

All you need to know is once a fight I could teleport and get another attack for free.
That was the problem
I wasn't adding in the other two things that let it recharge, give bonuses to everything defensively or let it hit every creature next to me.

No just the basic one extra attack... ONE extra attack was to far with these people somehow the idea of getting to hurt a person an additional time was to much

Simply Ask or Assume And Fail

I asked if I could seduce someone with another female character.
Long and short somehow using my Charisma for my Sorcerer to get money out of the Kenku asking us for help was out of the question.
Nope we had to go along.
The idea of payment was power gaming and being that guy
I flipped at that point why?
Cause this guy hiring us wanted us to fight 10 goblins. Which we needed to take in 3 different fights. Well he could take on the whole party.
Why was everything so strong? Cause I helped 2 of the 5 players make there characters[this was before the hammer incident]. The super broken builds? A Bard and Druid

So yeah some stories that came to me of just how obtuse some people can be with systems

NikitaDarkstar
2013-04-09, 06:11 AM
I was never "that" guy(/girl) with builds. I however had my problems. When I started out with the hobby as a teenager I had issues showing up on time, would forget dates, fail to show up, and pretty much always forgot snacks, or even to bring money for pizza. Looking back I wonder why that group even put up with me. I'm glad they did, but I do wonder. :smalleek:

TuggyNE
2013-04-09, 07:00 AM
I was never "that" guy(/girl) with builds. I however had my problems. When I started out with the hobby as a teenager I had issues showing up on time, would forget dates, fail to show up, and pretty much always forgot snacks, or even to bring money for pizza. Looking back I wonder why that group even put up with me. I'm glad they did, but I do wonder. :smalleek:

Perhaps it's because you're a girl. :smallsigh:

Lorsa
2013-04-09, 07:02 AM

People have a tendency to put up with a lot of crap in the name of roleplaying, or simply because they think the person is so generally fun that a few problems can easily be overlooked.

DigoDragon
2013-04-09, 07:18 AM
One member of my group used to be "That Guy", the one who picked another character and made his character emulate the other like they were long-lost brothers or something. Usually ended with this guy starting arguments.

Thankfully he's mellowed out and now is a decent player with slightly more original concepts. :smallbiggrin:

We now have a different kind of "That Guy", a different player who builds his characters solely to dish out as many attacks with as much damage as possible. It annoys the rest of us because we like puzzles and RPing too. Not just combat.

Krazzman
2013-04-09, 09:59 AM
Ouh that's a hard one...

I think a few times it has fit to me. I was a few times calles powergamer or had things revoken because it was "too PG".

I assume that one of our "friends" no longer dmed for us because of my Dwarf Druid in a all Dwarven Pathfinder game.

Anders the Dwarven Druid (Anders means different in german) was a Druid that walked around and hit people with his stick or slingshot, using his Domain Spell of Magic Stones. Having Charisma with 12 as lowest stat helps... having no other stat under 16 and a 20 in constitution... rocks. Yeah rolled attributes.

I asked here for forms to wildshape in, assuming never been in another place as his "home-mountain". Got some weird advice... DM asked me about it rather angrily, we resolved it but still he never "recovered" from his I think it was a flu. From my point of view he grew more introvert.

Other times I tried new things out because... well I found the stuff I found to be exiting (tried out a Soulknife, Psion, Duskblade, Dragon Shaman) and were called a Powergamer for using "PG" classes. But using a Necromancer wizard getting a Skeleton as Familiar on level 1, that had something around 18 Str and 20 Hit Points... was my fault for buying Unearthed arcana and Complete mage...

Many times when I tried to pull a trick someone else used in a one-shot before I was called PG, but when they used it... nope.

When I DM'es it was assumed to be a dungeoncrawl. I made a few things and let them have quite many funny things and I had the feeling that when I tried something at their games it had been "revoked". Best thing was One-shot, build level 16 chars, around 100k gold and such stuff... Introduction: you lose all your gear. It took 4 hours to even search through the DMG for the stuff we bought... that could've been time better spent gaming.

Sometimes I even felt my luck in rolls was that envied on that it made the others angry and... led to more grave circumstances than when I simply failed.

And now... I am "that" guy when I underestimate the group strength. As such I seemed far more powerful with my Warblade. Or the DM not used to this kind of playstyle and seeing how nice a warlock can play (unlimited power is fun). But those things that are called "PG" are just said in a more funny tone.

Morbis Meh
2013-04-09, 10:28 AM
Well oddly enough I am pegged 'That Guy' but in a good way and not by my own group per se. First time I played with my friends i made a really powerful cleric (DMM ftw) what did I make the character into? The tank plain and simple I picked a role and stuck to it and didn't step on anyones toes. Our group had a great time in game and then the friend that GM'd this game spoke of it to a new group... Suddenly my character became a legend and I was immortalized as 'That Guy' by this new group of players that I didn't even play with. Though to be fair it was more of a positive since they came to me for character building advice. Though I did get to face off with them and their 'broken' characters (DM fiat powers were the only reason they were special and my oringinal character didn't have none of that and also they also broke several rules in character building due to not reading a feat entry properly). The best part, I TPK'd them with a single ubercharger barbarian (they thought they knew what one was until I brought this bag of joy to the table hehehe only time when a frenzied beserked is playable) that wasn't even the character they were worried about :smallbiggrin: Though when they realized I wasn't being malicious or trying to go neaner neaner neaner 'I am teh bestest' they calmed down and remarked at how silly dnd could get. It was soon followed with laughter and rejoicing at playing not for power but for having fun with friends. Though my dm friend and I are still considered the go to guys for character building... though they don't know that I am a very small fish in a very big pond :smalleek: (I bow before the real wizards of gitp and humbly request to not be smited for my blasphemy)

SimonMoon6
2013-04-09, 10:59 AM
This was in the days of 3.0.

I noticed that wizards seemed to have a variety of ways to increase their AC a lot more than in previous editions. So, I just decided that I'd make a wizard who focused on improving AC. And the plan was to go into Incantatrix (3.0 version) and also get feats to make debuffing me harder.

Also, as it happens, I love shape-changing abilities and so the 3.0 polymorph seemed perfect. Now my original plan for my character was to polymorph into a marilith but before I could do that, they errata-ed 3.0's polymorph so that only outsiders could become outsiders! :( Drat! So, I was stuck turning into a troll for a while.

And then we got a wish. So, with DM's permission, I wished to become a +1 LA outsider race (some obscure one from Dragon magazine that would allow my multi-classing without XP penalties since I had taken a level of 3.0's monk for AC bonuses) at the cost of a level.

So... soon my AC was out the stratosphere. And since I could become a marilith, I had six arms, so I could hold a lot of things, including a bunch of staves that granted AC bonuses that stacked with all the ones I already had (at least one was an artifact that we found; another was a staff of... power?magi? I forget). My last character sheet had an AC of 66 with spells up.

And I wasn't too bad in a fight either, with a magic spear we got from a salamander boss guy. In fact, we didn't really need any of the fighter types except the ridiculous archer guy.

The last adventure in this campaign involved just me and the archer (the other players couldn't come or something), where I was the tank while the archer was acting like a vulnerable mage sending death from afar while hiding behind me.

Trinoya
2013-04-09, 02:20 PM
I played a character who focused (ultimately) on being a merchant. Character would be played in multiple campaigns and even became a recurring NPC (not a party npc) in my game that I run.

Ultimately though I could never get anyone past the stigma that he was some sort of greedy manipulative, horrible merchant who is out to screw everyone over.

Sad thing is: Dude is basically extremely fair with his prices, and tries to keep them at market value (unless 'dueling' with another merchant as it were). Ultimately he is a pretty good guy, though he would generally prefer to 'avoid' dungeons, and doesn't quite understand why people can't be perfectly happy trading with the orc camp, rather than burning it to the ground.

And yet.. it's still, "he clearly must be greedy."

laeZ1
2013-04-09, 02:30 PM
Not sure if this counts, but my DMing style favors humorous situations, with probably a 5:1 humor to scary ratio. Because of this, when I'm a player, playing a serious character, s/he usually becomes the butt of jokes, since my friends and players can't fathom me being serious or scary.

Averis Vol
2013-04-09, 05:42 PM
At one time I was "That Guy" (long story I've told a dozen times here. DMM persistomancy cleric because the DM wouldn't let me play a monk/cleric/sacred fist. Figured I'd teach him what a straight up cleric could do. Solo'd CR 16 encounters at level 10 because the DM played dragons like a moron, and later made us switch characters for a "Second Group" where I played a fighter/Cavalier with a colliding lance and some mundane full plate, again we are level 13 by now, as my only gear. we never played the first again...)

but after the first incident, a friend of mine took over the "that guy" role (I no longer play things above tier 3 as a personal preference); he only ever uses builds that come directly from the {insert tier 1/2 class here} handbook. Thankfully he's about as imaginative as my brain damaged dachshund, so it isn't much of a problem, but we always have to worry about out fighting him or he tries to strong arm us into doing stuff.

Kane0
2013-04-09, 06:47 PM
I'm 'That Guy' cause I always try to fit in some kind of homebrew when I play. No matter what it is, I always ask "Can I pass a brewed class/feat/spell/whatever by you?".

Some see it as me trying to get the upper hand over everyone else, some see it as me being unable to stay with stock rules, and others think that I'm an endless stream of "Wouldn't this be cool?" kind of ideas. More often than not some combination of the above.

Doorhandle
2013-04-09, 08:37 PM
People have a tendency to put up with a lot of crap in the name of roleplaying, or simply because they think the person is so generally fun that a few problems can easily be overlooked.

I can agree with that one, as I have two minor "that guys" in my current group for dark heresy. One who wants to see the current plot burn (he thinks he can do a better job, and between setting knowledge and rules knowledge may be right), and another who doesn't but can't play a serious character consistently (Leading to such hilarity as the tech-priest trying to scrimshaw poetry into my character's flesh, and trying to steal a scribe's hands.)

Two time when I was that guy was when I was playing a revenant dragonbon monk (Zombie ninja dragon GO) and another where I was tyring to play the Belkar/yoshimitsu clone and failing massively (Entirely my own fault. Going up to a paladin and saying "I'm a convicted criminal, please lock me up?" at the G.M who has a history of turning out-of-character against me? The hell was I thinking!)

Vknight
2013-04-09, 09:41 PM
Great stories so far everyone!!

saxavarius
2013-04-09, 10:00 PM
I had a warlock that used fell flight a lot to avoid being hit; one guy said it was BS that I was always landing my EBs for 3d6 and was never getting hit. Probably a good thing that campaign died before i could enter hellfire warlock.

NikitaDarkstar
2013-04-09, 10:20 PM
Perhaps it's because you're a girl. :smallsigh:

We usually averaged 2-3 girls in the group (and 1 guy + the DM.. also a guy), so not exactly an "Oooohhh boobies!!! group" :smalltongue: . But I suppose Lora is right, I must have had other things going for me to make me likable enough. I'm just surprised now when I look back, cause I wouldn't have been that nice to myself. :S

Slipperychicken
2013-04-09, 10:41 PM
When a mechanic I'm using takes more than a minute of explanation and involves me rolling fistfuls of dice. Like when I played an Iaijutsu Focus Factotum in a game where the DM ruled max ranks =2*level for everyone and every skill. They loved calling me a munckin back then. That campaign was awful.

The party split (same gaming group), and one group had been ordered to enter an area and kill everything they saw. They wound up in a hallucinatory terrain (basically the spirit-world from Dragonball, as a path with clouds on the sides), and a crazed man leaps out of the clouds declaring "I'm the greatest thief who ever lived! I stole a Fly spell from the Mage's Guild!" The group just would not engage him, and decided to ally with this person. I tried to encourage them to kill this guy, because he practically had "recurring villain" written on his forehead. My character wasn't there, but eventually I stopped providing reasons to murder him, and lost it and started chanting "kill kill kill..." for a minute or two.

That enemy turned out to be a serious villain. Not like it mattered, since it was a Mr-nice-guy-fluffy-pillows-no-one-ever-dies dnd game (evidence: The DM regularly fudges, and once ruled, on the spot, that Con damage doesn't reduce hit points, because a PC would have died from it). It seems like the only source of amusement in the game was watching the DM badly act out his fiat-powered villains teleport over to our party, taunt us, and leave.

Vknight
2013-04-09, 11:03 PM
We usually averaged 2-3 girls in the group (and 1 guy + the DM.. also a guy), so not exactly an "Oooohhh boobies!!! group" :smalltongue: . But I suppose Lora is right, I must have had other things going for me to make me likable enough. I'm just surprised now when I look back, cause I wouldn't have been that nice to myself. :S

I remember having numbers like that with male to female. And luckily we didn't have those predicative issues that normally arise.

Maybe I remember stuff like that happening with another group with the females it was 3girls 3guys and one girl was kind of getting singled out it ways

Dr.Epic
2013-04-09, 11:05 PM
Dude, I've spent more money on Munchkin cards than I care to say. The better question to me is "When are you NOT that guy?":smallwink:

Fates
2013-04-09, 11:21 PM
Okay, gonna don my book-proof vest for a second here....

That's better. You wanna know how "that guy" I got? DO YOU?

In my very first D&D game (version 3), when I was a high school freshman, I made a glorified DMPC. Now, mind you, our group had NO idea what we were doing (it was agreed that we'd ban the Favoured Soul because it got energy resistance, wings, and weapon specialization without even being a fighter! :smallsigh:), and we actually had three of us taking turns DMing, so all the DMs had characters. The other two DMs played a lizardfolk druid/monk and a werewolf druid/ranger. I played a straight-out sorcerer- a half gold dragon, Mary-Sue, poorly acted and frequently described in excruciating detail. I was in love with this character, and honestly, the character concept wasn't that bad, but I did a terrible job of portraying him correctly. The sorcerer was also the most powerful character in the party (the druid/monk wasn't far behind, but he didn't step on everyone's toes like I did, and he certainly didn't do it when he was DMing), and frequently did most of the work for us...in my adventures. I'd even set up encounters specifically for him to dominate them, because I thought he was just that much of a badass.

Now, besides this, I was also a horrible railroader at the time. The last straw came when I made a long adventure that took us three sessions, with a totally ridiculous plotline and all-around horrible interactions on my part (my character basically told all the others what they needed to do, and I had scripted out all of the PC dialogue beforehand, prepping for about two or three possible player courses of action- when they didn't interact with NPCs the way I wanted them to, I just gave them different options for what to say, not unlike in many video games.

When the players finally found the BBEG, he was in the process of a ritual to destroy the world (can't recall why), but guess what? He was surrounded by a magical barrier (somehow immune to antimagic), created by his giant wind/fire elemental hybrid. While the players were forced to fight this lame-arse elemental, my character suddenly teleported inside the barrier (the other players had tried this and failed) and beat up the BBEG in a pre-determined fight, which I pretended I was rolling for. All the while, I was trying to draw attention to all the "awesome" stuff my character was doing, but they were all way too bored and pissed off to care. It was at that point that I finally realized what an arse-hole I was being and condemned my character to deal with our party's paperwork, political matters, healing, and all the other thankless tasks the other players were too important to stoop to.

TuggyNE
2013-04-10, 12:47 AM
We usually averaged 2-3 girls in the group (and 1 guy + the DM.. also a guy), so not exactly an "Oooohhh boobies!!! group" :smalltongue: . But I suppose Lora is right, I must have had other things going for me to make me likable enough.

For what it's worth, even lacking the blatantly immature response of a lot of gamers, there's still likely some subtle bonus going for you.

But who knows?

I'm just surprised now when I look back, cause I wouldn't have been that nice to myself. :S

Hmm. That's kind of an awkward thing to realize, I guess. Ah well, sometimes we're harder on ourselves than we should be….

DigoDragon
2013-04-10, 07:15 AM
We usually averaged 2-3 girls in the group (and 1 guy + the DM.. also a guy), so not exactly an "Oooohhh boobies!!! group" :smalltongue:

My group used to have numbers like that, but in recent months my wife is the only remaining female and it does affect the dynamic of the group. Odd note about it, the females we had in our group tended to play very good warrior characters without ever becoming "That Guy".

Maybe they were just better at building characters?

Kalmageddon
2013-04-10, 07:20 AM
I used to play a soft-spoken, polite and detached necromancer wizard, LN and devoted to Jergal, the Forgotten Realms god of proper burial and death, itself LN.
The idea was to play a character who's main objective in life was to prepare himself for the great mysteries of death, he had no intention of ever becoming immortal and as Jergal dictated that life shouldn't be prolonged more then necessary he usually didn't create any undead.

This didn't prevent anyone who met him to assume that we was Evil and secretly wanted to become a lich, to the point where anything pertaining to undeads and the like was actively hidden from him by the rest of the party, because they assumed my character would have screwed them over.
Nothing seemed to convince them, not even repeated Detect Evil casted on my character after a Detect Magic showed that he hadn't any active enchantments on him.

Joe the Rat
2013-04-10, 10:23 AM
I was the GM's Boyfriend. Shenanigans ensued.

Back in the 1e & 2e days, I had ridiculous luck whenever someone said "Oh, let's check for Psionics." When your dull-witted half-ogre was a more powerful wild psionicist than the Illithid Psionicist, things have gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I also tend to be a bit of a Ham.

Vknight
2013-04-10, 09:44 PM
I am trying to join a game. And there are two players from my group.
Who are treating me as That Guy without actually starting the game with me and threatening to leave.
Why? Cause I don't like Pathfinder over 3.5
And I start characters with 18 in there best stat
That somehow makes me That Guy

Slipperychicken
2013-04-10, 11:18 PM
And I start characters with 18 in there best stat
That somehow makes me That Guy

For me, it's less that I have 18 in my best stat, and more that I have 7 in my worst :smallbiggrin:

Mnemophage
2013-04-11, 12:01 AM
I just don't think I should play a character with a medical background anymore. Cleric? Sure. I can do whatever I want if it's through the power of magic, but whenever I gain the ability to apply a basic knowledge of biology to the game I just start trying for bigger and more game-breaking things. Like using a Dark Side-corrupted Heal Other Force power to burst the spinal nerves of a guy who was supposed to torment the group for a while. I figured out, while having a smoke break earlier, how I could justify inflicting cancer upon anyone I wanted and it wouldn't even count as a Dark Side corruption. I really don't trust myself not to be the Cancer Fairy flinging tumors around the galaxy. It's horrible. It's disrespectful. I shouldn't. But I'm probably going to.

I inevitably pick some little class feature I think is cool and wind up running it in such a way that it is massively disruptive to everything. If one of my class features is a mount, I'm going to pick the one with wings, and then force the DM to redesign the game world because I'm flying over everything dropping firebombs on formerly challenging encounters. Running an Independant/Antitribu V:tM campaign? Cool, I'ma play a Baali. Hey, cool, I get fireballs...

Gorgondantess
2013-04-11, 11:18 AM
I used to believe in the stormind fallacy- that roleplaying and optimization were mutually exclusive. And was horrible about it.
I am... so, so ashamed.:smallfrown:

Sith_Happens
2013-04-11, 12:42 PM
I just don't think I should play a character with a medical background anymore. Cleric? Sure. I can do whatever I want if it's through the power of magic, but whenever I gain the ability to apply a basic knowledge of biology to the game I just start trying for bigger and more game-breaking things. Like using a Dark Side-corrupted Heal Other Force power to burst the spinal nerves of a guy who was supposed to torment the group for a while. I figured out, while having a smoke break earlier, how I could justify inflicting cancer upon anyone I wanted and it wouldn't even count as a Dark Side corruption. I really don't trust myself not to be the Cancer Fairy flinging tumors around the galaxy. It's horrible. It's disrespectful. I shouldn't. But I'm probably going to.

Yes... Give in to the Dark Side... Let the lulz flow through you...

Running an Independant/Antitribu V:tM campaign? Cool, I'ma play a Baali. Hey, cool, I get fireballs...

Now that's just White Wolf's fault. Really, who gives fire magic to a highly flammable character, in a game where most hostilities are expected to be against one's own kind?

Togath
2013-04-11, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure if it counts, but I once had a group think I was "that guy" when I suggested that I'd try a fighter(which I decided to use since the rest of the group was low tier)..
Upon that I decided to see what would happen if I suggested ToB and me playing a warblade instead.. which somehow worked.. they also for some unfathomable reason thought warblades were weaker than fighters..
I do wonder how they thought fighters were stronger than warblades, and OA samurai even "worse"(seriously?, I almost wonder if they were purposefully trying to be dumb, it's like they saw a backwards tier list)

sktarq
2013-04-11, 04:55 PM
Being that guy rarely had to do with stats more with a mindset.

I always have a had a problem distinguishing between fluff a ST makes up on the spot and things that are supposed to be key information. Thus everything is potential key info.
Example. underground tunnel system trying to get from our entry point into a separate building. Stealth not really an issue. We all have underwater breathing tech. ST describes scene including that there are big pipes above us. Including colour coded ones labeled-Water, Sewer, Gas, HVAC etc. . . a bit later we have a big fire based monster facing off against us. It is described in huge scary ways. The pipes are mentioned again. The limited space of the tunnels. . . so I shoot the Water pipe pull out my mini breather and that's that. So That wasn't the plan? oops. Later I use the gas pipe to -well, a distraction was requested and we REALLY didn't like what was going on that building. Did the St figure we wouldn't TRY and destroy that research? Later I figured that the NPC character who couldn't be damaged but could be pushed was there BECAUSE we had force wave cannons (ship based in my case) blast weapons and telekinesis not as the ST felt as an unstoppable force for us to run away from.
This is rather normal for me btw.
Some ST's love it for others I'm THAT GUY

Averis Vol
2013-04-11, 07:52 PM
I don't know why DM's keep putting in fluff if they don't expect their PC's to use it. I mean, don't describe the group of {insert evil organisation here} walking fully armed over a rickety bridge, and get flustered when your pc's with access to fly just cut the ropes.* :smallbiggrin:

*happened once, DM apparently didn't expect it from the 24 int swashbuckler. go figure.

Vknight
2013-04-14, 03:31 PM
I don't know why DM's keep putting in fluff if they don't expect their PC's to use it. I mean, don't describe the group of {insert evil organisation here} walking fully armed over a rickety bridge, and get flustered when your pc's with access to fly just cut the ropes.* :smallbiggrin:

*happened once, DM apparently didn't expect it from the 24 int swashbuckler. go figure.

And that is how you make players feel awesome give them a setup and go.
If the Dm got upset and says your That Guy its a problem on his end
Otherwise its good planning or the Dm playing along

Fable Wright
2013-04-14, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure whether I'm currently a That Guy or not in my D&D 3.5 group. Given that it's an online game and no one has sent out overly obvious signals to tone down the character...

Nevertheless, my Duskblade's able to one or two-shot every monster we come across (though they always come in groups of at least 6 and he can only do one at a time), outdamaging even the homebrewed rogue variant that can get maxxed SA damage with TWF some of the time, calls out the name of his attacks (I swear, the habit started with an in-game justification), often winds up talking to the NPCs as the face of the party's reason despite entirely dumping Charisma and social skills and debatably setting g the party's agenda, and somehow is also most of the group's out of combat utility and healing through item use. The kicker, though, was when he and the other potential That Guy in our group's (who plays, fairly exclusively in what I've seen, attractive female elf magic users that act as party faces, though entirely without overt sexualization) character got into PvP over a roleplaying issue. The combat lasted probably no more than 5 or 6 rounds. Each round took at least 5-10 minutes due to the rules arguments that came up every single round as we both abused the poorly written RAW of D&D 3.5. (Surprisingly, the result was a draw, as when the tower shield came out, neither character could make a move without getting one-shotted.)

My serious question to the playground, though, is whether or not that would qualify as That Guy behavior...

Deffers
2013-04-14, 11:25 PM
I think I was That Guy in my first attempted campaign, but I hope the DM and I were in a vitriolic buddies situation so it was OK. Mostly, I managed to make him repeatedly mutter "It's only a one-shot" numerous times before the campaign even started.

-Asked, quite innocently I will admit, for a homebrew race (I like Tieflings, OK? AD&D retroclones don't have them.)

-When another player asked for a homebrew race (AD&D retroclones also don't have drow because copyright), I egged another player into asking for a race from another gaming system (Lawful Good Skaven Cleric? Why the hell not.)

-When the DM let us make our own gods for the setting, that's where he finally broke down. Turns out "David Bowie" and "Ra, but with vinegar instead of the sun" justified as "a dichotomy between flux and preservation!" was too much for our poor DM.

Anyway, when your That Guy is a loonie, that's kind of what happens.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-15, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure whether I'm currently a That Guy or not in my D&D 3.5 group. Given that it's an online game and no one has sent out overly obvious signals to tone down the character...

Nevertheless, my Duskblade's able to one or two-shot every monster we come across (though they always come in groups of at least 6 and he can only do one at a time), outdamaging even the homebrewed rogue variant that can get maxxed SA damage with TWF some of the time, calls out the name of his attacks (I swear, the habit started with an in-game justification), often winds up talking to the NPCs as the face of the party's reason despite entirely dumping Charisma and social skills and debatably setting g the party's agenda, and somehow is also most of the group's out of combat utility and healing through item use. The kicker, though, was when he and the other potential That Guy in our group's (who plays, fairly exclusively in what I've seen, attractive female elf magic users that act as party faces, though entirely without overt sexualization) character got into PvP over a roleplaying issue. The combat lasted probably no more than 5 or 6 rounds. Each round took at least 5-10 minutes due to the rules arguments that came up every single round as we both abused the poorly written RAW of D&D 3.5. (Surprisingly, the result was a draw, as when the tower shield came out, neither character could make a move without getting one-shotted.)

My serious question to the playground, though, is whether or not that would qualify as That Guy behavior...

With the combat, how long did other players take to beat down similar enemies? What's the party composition? If you're the only full BAB character in the group, your combat prowess may be well-deserved.

I think I'm in a similar situation, combat-wise, with my current PF switch-hitting Hippogriff Rider Ranger4 as the most effective character (Granted, the other two PCs are an unoptimized Magus4 and an Inquisitor4, only one of whom knows how to compute attack/damage bonuses, and neither use their class features or spellcasting effectively).

Fable Wright
2013-04-15, 12:37 AM
With the combat, how long did other players take to beat down similar enemies? What's the party composition? If you're the only full BAB character in the group, your combat prowess may be well-deserved.

Well, there was the time that it took he level 5 homebrew Rogue (giving it extra stuff, not taking anything away) variant 3 rounds to deal with a single wolf, but otherwise, the Warlock mows them down in 2 rounds now, and the Factotum just uses a homebrew legacy item best summarized as the distilled essence of "A Wizard Did It" and can probably drop non-mooks in 3 rounds by himself. And he is currently the only full BAB character in the party right now, though his ability to mini-nova (2/9 1st level slots and 5hp) to reliably deal more damage than the TWFer with Max damage sneak attacks worries me somewhat.

Doxkid
2013-04-15, 06:07 AM
Building a "tank"-Marshal once got me yelled at and kicked out of my group.

To expand on that, I built my character in a minute after finding out about the game late...and then helped another guy build a warlock since he wanted a warlock (and I love playing them, so my party viewed me as an expert). When the DM noticed I had the wrong type of shield I changed it going off memory alone and that annoyed him(not the mistake, butknowing off the top of my head the different values and costs).

"Tanking" consisted of my Medium AC character who was actually focused on using a Greatsword grabbing one of the shiled I carried around (just in case) and changing my auras to give my allies +2 or +3 damage while we fought an encounter which was slightly above our CR.

My amazingly overpowered character spent the 5 rounds struggling to not die against a Purple Worm while everyone else slapped it around with impunity. Having made my character competently I...basically bled on the creature for several rounds until the party finally killed it. With a DM fiat someone managed to stop me from bleeding out after the battle; at -9 the DM allowed a guy to throw me into a healing pool right after I rolled another failed stabilize.

Ten minutes later the DM started raging at me for "Making an OP, broken character like I always do" and "forcing a broken Warlock into the group." my history of characters was:

*Healer.
*Melee Dread Necromancer
*Warlock with no real special abilities (he was just very hard to kill and it pissed the DM off)
*Cleric that was basically a healbot with Turn Undead
*Another Warlock like the first
*A third Warlock who sniped

I can admit my characters were all durable and annoyingly hard to kill...but that's it. I never had the 500 skeleton hoard (I did cast Summon Undead to get a single meatshield), or ended an encounter with one spell, or stacked things to get 507d6 damage on an autohit eldritch blast.

After arguing that I hadn't done anything wrong and that I helped the guy make a warlock because I was asked to help, the DM outright said he never wanted to DM or play with me again and ended the game early.

It felt bad because I knew these guys really well and they had been my friends for years; we all played online together, called each other on birthdays/Christmas, knew each everyone's significant others and one of the guys in the group even visited me via roadtrip. The guy who came by to visit is the only one I still talk to.
---

TLDR

I got kicked out of a circle of friends because my support character didn't die when the DM put a high power encounter against your party...

Angel Bob
2013-04-15, 08:15 AM
A sad story, but the way you tell it, the DM is definitely at fault. Whether or not the DM has fun shouldn't depend on how many PCs he can kill.

Paragon468
2013-04-15, 09:04 AM
Whether or not the DM has fun shouldn't depend on how many PCs he can kill.

Blasphemy!

Mnemnosyne
2013-04-16, 05:51 PM
Heh, I have two stories of this, back from my silly ridiculous munchkin days. Almost...twenty years ago now. Luckily, I broke out of my complete munchkinism for the most part after these stories.One of my most ridiculous characters ever was a redheaded elven fighter/mage that was super-pretty and super-awesome. I really wish I had her character sheet still. This was in the earliest days of online gaming, back in the 2nd Edition era. I was living in a place I couldn't find any other players, so I got into a play-by-email.

Now, as a wizard back then, we needed all sorts of weird things as material components. And there was no 'spell component pouch' rule that allowed the wizard to have all material components accounted for. When I was building the character, I thought I had to list every single material component on my sheet. I also was afraid of running out of them. And of how much space they would take. So, I homebrewed an item called the Pouch of Infinite Containment. This was basically a bag of holding, cranked up to eleven...thousand. You could store literally anything in the pouch. I even wrote a rule for what happens if you try to store an entire plane of existence in the pouch (it works, but since you have to be inside the plane to store it, you get sucked in too, so the end result was that basically nothing changes, although technically the entire plane is now contained within the pouch). For some reason, the DM allowed this - perhaps they knew I would very soon screw up with it.

With an infinite pouch I then set forth to ensure I would never run out of spell components. One spell needed a chip of stone. I had a mountain in my pouch. Another spell required a little water. I had an ocean. Animate Dead required a few drops of blood; I had a lake of it. I never actually explained where all this ridiculous stuff came from, and the DM never questioned it. The only possible explanation I can think of is if my character stole an entire planet with her pouch. In any case, the game actually started with my character like that. Also, she had a horse (none of the other characters had mounts for some reason) and was a bit stuck up and superior seeming. Oh, and she had a Tent of Luxury.

I'm not even sure why one of the other players pretty much instantly hated my character. I can see why he might hate my character, but I didn't even get to the point of showing off all the silly stuff that should have rightfully prompted that hate. She was a little snobbish in her introduction, but not to the point where I think she should have provoked such hate right off the bat, at least not until I had gotten a chance to let her silly mary-sueness shine. In any case, the game got started, we proceeded along and did our first encounter with a pair of giants. I don't even remember exactly what I did during the battle, but immediately afterward, I set up my Tent of Luxury and walked into it because my vain character wanted to immediately wash up.

In 2nd Edition, there was a general rule that anytime one extradimensional space came in contact with another, it'd cause an explosion and suck things into the ethereal or astral plane. The tent of luxury is an extradimensional space. So was my ridiculous infinite bag. One battle in, and I pretty much obliterated my own character. She actually survived that, though not well. Her spellbook was lost because of it. She managed to make her way back to the Prime Material even so, based purely on her fighting skills and her remaining memorized spells. She even managed to meet up with the rest of the party...at which point the guy that hated her immediately killed her, the moment she stepped in the room. I still don't know why he hated her that much, but in retrospect he probably saved the party from a huge pain in the ass.Some time after this, I then played an even more ridiculous character. This was, I think, my last totally ridiculous character; I was still a bit munchkiny after this, but somehow this particular campaign snapped me out of it. I can't remember as many details about this second one as I do the first, but I basically reworked my pouch of infinite containment to be even better, prohibiting all unpleasant extradimensional interactions within a 1 mile radius. And being an elven Fighter/Mage wasn't good enough this time. This time I went with Fighter/Mage/Cleric, and I was an Avariel, a winged elf. I don't remember what I did or what happened, exactly, but eventually the DM removed me from the campaign. I wish I could recall exactly what triggered it, but I sadly can't recall the specific incident. I do think that being kicked out finally made it 'click' with me that I was being a jackass and mary sue with my characters, and ever since then I've never gone to crazy ridiculous lengths like that with them.

Roderick_BR
2013-04-17, 03:03 PM
I was that guy once, playing an mage evoker (yeah), in a group that never plays arcane casters (all fighters, barbarians, rangers, rogues, and the ocasional cleric or druid that only casts cure spells).
All I did was stay out of the way and pelt enemies from far. The DM was just not used with casters, and his creatures often died whenever trying to charge (grease, sleep, etc) or stay away and being burned away.
At one time, the group invaded a cave, the druid used a spell to make a stone bridge over a room (avoiding all traps. I could have used a flight spell as well, but he decided to be useful for once). When we fetch the needed item... I had a staff with teleport in it. And the rest was history.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-17, 09:06 PM
When we fetch the needed item... I had a staff with teleport in it. And the rest was history.

Why does that make you "that guy"? Was your DM planning to have a big confrontation on the way back?

Vknight
2013-04-18, 06:36 AM
You obviously don't know the power of all the traps resetting on the way back out

genderlich
2013-04-18, 08:25 AM
Mine is an entire character: Pavo (http://imgur.com/hUnFF), the human wizard/Loremaster. He had a pretty neat little backstory about being from an isolated desert nation, traveling to learn more about the world since knowledge was the most important thing to him. I really liked him as a character, probably the second-best I ever played.

Unfortunately, the rest of the party knew him as "that overpowered powergamer wizard". In an attempt to play his backstory right, I optimized him to have as high Int as possible (27 at level 8), and had an extremely good spell selection. Mostly I buffed the party and did a lot of utility stuff, but then I completely trashed what we thought was the final boss, solo. (Pyrotechnics to blind everyone in the room except me, summon a bunch of Lantern Archons and Earth Elementals, and the Lord of Shadows is dead in four rounds without anyone else being able to act or even see what's happening) To make matters worse, this was Pathfinder, and I took the Teleportation subschool of Conjuration, letting me teleport 10 feet as a swift action over 10 times per day. Goodbye, locked and trapped doors.

I also garnered a reputation as a greedy old bastard, stealing stuff, asking for high rewards for the altruistic deeds I "helped" my party with (and by that I mean mostly accomplished them myself), and hoarding my gold for spells and magic items. I told the rest of the party I was saving up to build a badass wizards' tower and library in the desert, but in reality I was saving the 125,000 gold for a lich's phylactery - after all, he was in his late 60s and haden't amassed all the world's secrets and lore yet! The campaign ended at level 10, unfortunately, but I could definitely bring him back in the future...

So, yeah, now my reputation in my group is the powergamer who has all the rules memorized. I regret nothing.

Vknight
2013-04-18, 10:17 AM
Remember to make your phylactery out of a simple thing like a farmers hoe
And gift it to him as a hoe that shall never break

That or feeblemind a person and give them 100 gold pieces one of which is your phylactery and see what happens

Malrone
2013-04-18, 10:29 AM
Can't say I've been That Guy yet, though I certainly game with (and under) one. He'd elaborated at one point that it wasn't so much that he had to make characters extremely optimized, but just that he had to be the best individual in the group.
I recall at New Year's, everyone else was getting a little into their drinks, and we started talking D&D. He up and says "I've never made an OP character," and the entire party stops. Was hardly a person there who didn't hear, nor immediately refute, that particular claim, let me tell you.

On phylacteries: Aren't they explicitly required to be gaudy gem-and-platinum laden MacGuffins? I can't argue with the wisdom of disguising it as something utterly mundane (one of the million bricks that built a tomb), but I recall there needing to be steps between "craft" and "common household object."

Vknight
2013-04-18, 10:48 AM
I actually feel for that guy Malrone. I never played a broken character just played guys how they would act among things. The guy with a giant weapon masters learning huge weapons and using them to his full advantage, was broken for his large die pool

Phylactery
The most common form of phylactery is a sealed metal box containing strips of parchment on which magical phrases have been transcribed. The box is Tiny and has 40 hit points, hardness 20, and a break DC of 40.

Other forms of phylacteries can exist, such as rings, amulets, or similar items.

Rings are generally about the same size as coins.

Note though most of the items are a type of jewelry it seems to be something that can be hand held.
Also if it needs writing like the strips of cloth put that on the inside of the hoe head or something

SilverClawShift
2013-04-18, 01:37 PM
I wanted to use a spiked chain.

Druids are no problem, keeping your gold count loose and literally shopping in the middle of a fight isn't a problem, killing things for having green skin isn't a problem. The fact that I wanted to be a sorcerer wasn't a problem.

The fact that I wanted a magical spiked chain was way, way too far for this group though, and I was a horrible player for even trying it.

Vknight
2013-04-18, 02:00 PM

Druids are no problem, keeping your gold count loose and literally shopping in the middle of a fight isn't a problem, killing things for having green skin isn't a problem. The fact that I wanted to be a sorcerer wasn't a problem.

The fact that I wanted a magical spiked chain was way, way too far for this group though, and I was a horrible player for even trying it.

What
No really a magical spiked chain that well that. I honestly don't know what to say to something that ridiculous

Cool to here that sometimes even something really tiny can somehow be this huge deal

genderlich
2013-04-18, 02:11 PM

My DM hated composite bows. He'd place an artificial limit of +1 strength for a character of like 9th level, because they were "just cheap ways to get magic weapons". He also tends to give out very little loot and not give much gold at chargen.

Felhammer
2013-04-18, 02:27 PM
Building a "tank"-Marshal once got me yelled at and kicked out of my group.

To expand on that, I built my character in a minute after finding out about the game late...and then helped another guy build a warlock since he wanted a warlock (and I love playing them, so my party viewed me as an expert). When the DM noticed I had the wrong type of shield I changed it going off memory alone and that annoyed him(not the mistake, butknowing off the top of my head the different values and costs).

"Tanking" consisted of my Medium AC character who was actually focused on using a Greatsword grabbing one of the shiled I carried around (just in case) and changing my auras to give my allies +2 or +3 damage while we fought an encounter which was slightly above our CR.

My amazingly overpowered character spent the 5 rounds struggling to not die against a Purple Worm while everyone else slapped it around with impunity. Having made my character competently I...basically bled on the creature for several rounds until the party finally killed it. With a DM fiat someone managed to stop me from bleeding out after the battle; at -9 the DM allowed a guy to throw me into a healing pool right after I rolled another failed stabilize.

Ten minutes later the DM started raging at me for "Making an OP, broken character like I always do" and "forcing a broken Warlock into the group." my history of characters was:

*Healer.
*Melee Dread Necromancer
*Warlock with no real special abilities (he was just very hard to kill and it pissed the DM off)
*Cleric that was basically a healbot with Turn Undead
*Another Warlock like the first
*A third Warlock who sniped

I can admit my characters were all durable and annoyingly hard to kill...but that's it. I never had the 500 skeleton hoard (I did cast Summon Undead to get a single meatshield), or ended an encounter with one spell, or stacked things to get 507d6 damage on an autohit eldritch blast.

After arguing that I hadn't done anything wrong and that I helped the guy make a warlock because I was asked to help, the DM outright said he never wanted to DM or play with me again and ended the game early.

It felt bad because I knew these guys really well and they had been my friends for years; we all played online together, called each other on birthdays/Christmas, knew each everyone's significant others and one of the guys in the group even visited me via roadtrip. The guy who came by to visit is the only one I still talk to.
---

TLDR

I got kicked out of a circle of friends because my support character didn't die when the DM put a high power encounter against your party...

Your DM has a case of misdirected rage. What he disliked was you - the player - and not your characters. I've seen this many times before. It's almost never the "OP Character" but the mentality of the player running said character. Some times personalities and playstyles do not mesh. If feelings are left to seethe in the background for long enough they will invariably come out as an vitriolic argument. Those kinds of arguments sunder friendships and destroy parties. :smallfrown:

Blueiji
2013-04-20, 01:16 AM
A fellow player of mine not only wanted to play a two-weapon fighting character (which is an expensive and ineffective method of combat), he wanted to play a two-weapon fighter with a third sword in his mouth. He came to me for help with this character concept since he didn't have much rules-knowledge.

I eventually found an enchantment that allows you to wield a weapon in your mouth if you have a bite attack, and after jumping through a few hoops to get one of those, I finally got my fellow player a character who wielded three swords.

However, in order to pay for enchantments I resorted to a very unsavory, and quite cheesy method. I bought the tri-wielding three sizing-morphing-shurikens, loaded up with various other enchantments, all for 1/50 of the cost each (since shurikens count as ammo).

My DM was quite upset (understandably), and I felt very bad as well.

Moral of the story; rules loopholes are bad, being "that guy" isn't a pleasant experience, and tri-wielding is an entirely possible (if expensive) combat strategy.

Doorhandle
2013-04-20, 01:36 AM
Well, adding insult to injury, it probably wasn't even his idea.
http://awilson92.50webs.com/RoronoaZoro2.jpg

(also, mouthpick/grip weapons are hilarious, and I fully support them.)

Inkidu
2013-04-20, 12:42 PM
I don't know if it made me that guy but I made an Arabian-style paladin who used a scimitar, a buckler, and a spiked chain. Also, he was more dexterous than he was strong.

Well, apparently that drop rule on the spiked chain pisses DMs off.

Trip, drop, draw, shank.

Actually though it was supposed to be a way my paladin could disarm and trip up people without killing them. Also, it's really good at pulling people off of walls, and other forms of higher ground, if they're not monolithic in nature.

Also I dodged all the lich's spells instead of tanking them so I got:

"Stop playing against stereotypes, dammit!"

Sith_Happens
2013-04-29, 05:20 AM
So here we are, putting a quick stop to a massive bandit raid on a festival, when suddenly the BBEG shows up out of nowhere.

...And immediately auto-dispels everything in at least a ~100 foot radius. Then, in his next turn, teleports out of my Solid Fog, disintegrates a guy by touching him, and charges the scout (all in that one turn, mind you). All of which was perfectly in keeping with the capabilities we knew he had already, namely being able to enchant ~3000 dudes into a killing frenzy at once.

Seeing as we were 8th level, my natural response to this situation was "run the hell away," and in fact most of the party was getting ready to do just that. Until he locked us in a planar bubble with him and made it clear he was looking for a fight.:smalleek:

...At which point, try as I might, I just couldn't justify not Polymorphing most of the party into hydras (go go War Weaver!). We nearly killed him in two rounds before he fled.:smallamused:

I assured everyone else at the table that I was not expecting to ever actually do that and did not intend to again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all at least a bit wary of me now.

Scorpier
2013-04-29, 08:39 AM
Got an optimized deepwood sniper. For a good while I was popping targets before anyone else in the party even got close.

...We haven't had many long range encounters for a while...

Yukitsu
2013-04-29, 01:40 PM
This is me in every game ever. Whether it's a build that just goes way above and beyond everyone else's, or RPing past something that everyone else got stuck at, or me stealing expensive dungeon parts like trapped doors, I'm usually the one that makes the scenario spiral wildly out of control. I'm not super good at optimization, but I'm really good at optimizing certain things.

Conversely, my group just makes me consult on how to build characters, and much to the chagrin of the players involved, the DMs get me to build recurring villains, so it's not like I feel any reason to change here.

Arbane
2013-04-29, 02:19 PM
So here we are, putting a quick stop to a massive bandit raid on a festival, when suddenly the BBEG shows up out of nowhere.

...And immediately auto-dispels everything in at least a ~100 foot radius. Then, in his next turn, teleports out of my Solid Fog, disintegrates a guy by touching him, and charges the scout (all in that one turn, mind you).

(SNIP)

...At which point, try as I might, I just couldn't justify not Polymorphing most of the party into hydras (go go War Weaver!). We nearly killed him in two rounds before he fled.:smallamused:

I'm not seeing a problem, here. If the GM unleashes the Cheese, it's every players' right to cheese back in self-defense.

Vizzerdrix
2013-04-29, 02:24 PM
I've been That Guy for the oddest reason.

For using fireball on a group of weenies.
For NOT using fireball on a group of weenies.
For Buffing, not buffing, and using battlefield control.
I gave a demonstration one session as to why healing mid combat isn't a good idea.
I retired a character mid game after I realized I could one shot the current BBEG and it's swarm of trolls with a terrible gish build. My flying cleric wasn't appreciated either.
For complaining when two players wanted to take leadership. In a group of nine players. (They wanted to each have an army)
Using aid another to help pick a lock.
Using my wizard to flank for the rogue.
Not putting said wizard in robes.
Pointing out that a wizard doesn't have any reason to keep his spellbook in hand at all times (This almost got backpacks banned in games).

I can go on. I have tons more, and each one has a story to go with it. But needless to say, I've become very picky as to who I play with these days. (as in: I don't play with people who haven't looked through the core books anymore)

Sith_Happens
2013-04-29, 03:22 PM
I'm not seeing a problem, here. If the GM unleashes the Cheese, it's every players' right to cheese back in self-defense.

Well, the BBEG seemed like the sporting type, was pretty blatantly pulling his punches once the fight started in earnest, and our DM isn't the type to drop a thinly-veiled "rocks fall, you die" on us, so I imagine this was supposed to be one of those "show off/preview the villain" moments. I just wasn't taking any chances.

Not that the "show off the villain" thing failed because of me, mind you. Of particular note, everything the BBEG showed us in that fight was done via an item. Funny that I was flipping through Magic of Incarnum the day before the session and came across the Suppress Magic spell.:smallamused: Man I hope the DM doesn't read this forum, or I just ruined the surprise.

Dayaz
2013-04-29, 08:48 PM
I've been That Guy so many times my dm has come to just asking me if other players are trying to be That Guy, since I apparently "can sense my own kind".

first ever character was a barbarian/fighter who was based on battlefield mobility (or what we thought it was at the time). He could move 50ft a round, and had the Run and Endurance feats just because I already had PA, Cleave, and GCleave (And shortly thereafter had supreme cleave from Master Samurai). He could outrun warhorses, and he regularly was able to just ignore trapped hallways and just run down them and super-pwn the BBEG, who was almost always a wizard. Literally the most entertaining fight I ever had that campaign was we all got cloned in a labyrinth that had random teleporting pads in it. Me and my clone were constantly basing each other, attacking/counterattacking,, and then getting thrown to opposite sides of the damn labyrinth again. It was one of 3 fights in the campaign that took longer than 5 rounds. Also, I had Leadership w/ only a kobold cohort that rode a mount that was a pet to my guy. It was a hyena I had received from a quest, had paid for it to be perma-enlarged, trained into a Warbeast, and then gave it the ability to talk and do all sorts of kooky stuff.

The next one was using PF and Encyclopaedia Arcana: Demonology. She had a Cacodaemon as a familiar, and would use low level Binding to have a swarm of them that she would take all their soul gems from b4 the despawned, and then bound Balors and Pit Fiends by sacrificing the souls and using them to fight entire dungeons for more gold, which was then used to start the whole process over again but with more of them. She eventually just convinced to higher demons to let her Gate them in with a couple days warning w/ a considerable payment since she never lost control of them.

Then I made a villain for the DM, and he just ruining the whole campaign. He was a shapshifter Fiendbinder who would crossbreed succubi and vrocks, so he could have shapeshifting Ruin Dancers go and commit terroristic attacks on the populous. We never managed to find him b4 he killed us with 60 Vrockubi ruin dancing in sets of 3 all at once.

Deathkeeper
2013-04-30, 12:08 AM
I think I might be That Guy Who is the Rule Lawyer among my old friends, but it's only because all the campaigns with them were when we were all starting out and both of the GMs were new and made mistakes. And every once and a while you really need to point out that hey, you can't kill a PC with 10 HD with a Circle of Death. I don't think it's a real stigma, they just expect me to be paying attention enough to know there's no accidental cheese going on. Which isn't even true now that everyone's been playing for a while.

Vknight
2013-04-30, 03:01 AM
I became that guy to a friend cause I called him on a Mary sue character he added to the campaign and later had the group play a one-shot were we saved her.
He then made her get a romance with a another character.
Realized his character did not like that one decided to have her start dating the other one well still leading the other on...
After he had a character earlier on who had a love triangle with one of those two characters.

He got upset and called me that guy for saying he liked love triangles. Because I played characters that didn't cow toe to his ever nagging and demands In or out of Character

He kept getting worse and worse and left that group behind. Still sticks with you when the guy, calls you the guys cause your not bowing to his bad behavior

McDouggal
2013-04-30, 03:14 AM
This one falls into craft (cheese) category.

I rolled a 4th edition defender fighter Dwarf (with 18 in Strength and 20 in Wisdom), and my buddy rolled a Warlord that was also pretty tanky.

Yeah. I went overboard with opportunity attack ideas. He was squishy as all hell if I got hit, but I had a Cleric pretty much dedicated to keeping me alive.

I think, at level 5, I had +20 on opportunity attacks, and 1d10+17 damage on an opportunity attack. The Warlord had an at-will that allowed him to be attacked in exchange for buffing an ally's next attack on that target.

It reached the point where our Rogue and Ranger just started walking by the monster that we had locked down, to trigger another opportunity attack for me.

I'm no longer allowed to play Dwarves OR Fighters :smalltongue:

Or anything except Wizards :smallsigh: And my group doesn't work well with any type of Wizard build :smallbiggrin:

whydoibover
2013-04-30, 05:12 AM
I have three examples, two from the same (newbie) DM and one from another DM.

The First was my Warlock. He had max Charisma, bonuses out the wazoo to talking to people, but he was more than balanced compared to the grapplemancing MoMF and the necromancer with a DR 10/- pet at level 1. Noone was worried when the party waltzed out the dungeon we were being held in, and when the DM said he didn't expect us to escape we invented a bounty hunter who found and captured us, knocking us all out suddenly. We were playing nice. WE even had plans to make an Airship, and this is where things went wrong.

We wanted to use Awesome Sauce. Awesome Sauce, similar to potions from the BoED and BoVD is an extractable feeling of "that's so awesome". The plan was to make an awesome Airship, and synthesise awesome sauce from that. And to use the awesome sauce to augment the fuel, making the ship more awesome and helping gain awesome sauce. This has no discernable effect other than giving me an excuse to yell "You know what this ship needs? MORE AWESOME SAUCE!". The DM stopped the campaign and later said it would never ever be able to start again because of how insanely overpowered out awesome sauce idea was.

The second and third?
Second, I committed suicide ingame. I was an Inquisitor of Pelor. I had spent all game being an Inquisitor of Pelor. My dad had been a Paladin. The most tightly defined aspect of my character was love for the Sun God, he was the most cherished "son of Pelor" and was just about to become the King after receiving Pelor's Blessing.
My character died (or something) when I wasn't there, and the rest of the party went back in time to find him. When they got to him, he communed with Pelor to give him advice. No answer. We assumed something had happened to Pelor. The two PCs looked out the cave to the sky, and saw no Sun in the Sky. We spent the rest of the session slowly dying.

Third, same DM as second, I robbed a House. That was it. I robbed one Noble's House. The Noble had 2 very very drunk guards, and a maid. I had an adamantine katana and could open al chests I found. As a level 2 character, I got 1,000,000gp from that one House. And until I explained what I'd done very very slowly, the entire party thought I was to blame for making my character impregnable. I don't think much of this DMs system mastery.

Scow2
2013-04-30, 09:12 AM
The second and third?
Second, I committed suicide ingame. I was an Inquisitor of Pelor. I had spent all game being an Inquisitor of Pelor. My dad had been a Paladin. The most tightly defined aspect of my character was love for the Sun God, he was the most cherished "son of Pelor" and was just about to become the King after receiving Pelor's Blessing.
My character died (or something) when I wasn't there, and the rest of the party went back in time to find him. When they got to him, he communed with Pelor to give him advice. No answer. We assumed something had happened to Pelor. The two PCs looked out the cave to the sky, and saw no Sun in the Sky. We spent the rest of the session slowly dying.Why would a faithful servant of the Sun God commit suicide when his deity does not seem to be around to welcome him home (Or, likely, be spurned by the selfish termination). The proper course of action given such a circumstance is to either find a way to bring Pelor back, or, if he's gone for good (And your character is apparently "His most cherished son" or something?) to become the sun himself as Pelor MK 2.

Third, same DM as second, I robbed a House. That was it. I robbed one Noble's House. The Noble had 2 very very drunk guards, and a maid. I had an adamantine katana and could open al chests I found. As a level 2 character, I got 1,000,000gp from that one House. And until I explained what I'd done very very slowly, the entire party thought I was to blame for making my character impregnable. I don't think much of this DMs system mastery.
How'd you get an Adamantine sword at level 2? Why did the noble have 1,000,000 GP in loose coins? And how could you carry that much weight?!

Sith_Happens
2013-04-30, 12:56 PM
I think I might be That Guy Who is the Rule Lawyer among my old friends, but it's only because all the campaigns with them were when we were all starting out and both of the GMs were new and made mistakes. And every once and a while you really need to point out that hey, you can't kill a PC with 10 HD with a Circle of Death. I don't think it's a real stigma, they just expect me to be paying attention enough to know there's no accidental cheese going on. Which isn't even true now that everyone's been playing for a while.

I'm pretty sure I've become This Guy too, although in my case it's less "making sure no one/nothing gets screwed over" and more "pointing out when there actually is a rule for something that a player is trying to figure out how to do and/or the DM is wracking his head trying to arbitrate."

Slipperychicken
2013-04-30, 08:51 PM
Ooh, I remember two three more.

So the party defeated the BBEG (terrible campaign. I can rant for hours about it), who was probably only alive at the end by DM fiat. The Witch decided to Baleful Polymorph him into a cat, then set him free as punishment. Everyone laughed at this and saw it as a fitting end, until I reminded them that any of his living supporters could still find him with the most basic divinations, then undo it with a simple Dispel Magic or Remove Curse. The DM fiated it to work flawlessly (not even allowing the saving throw) and everyone there looked at me like I just threw their birthday cake on the ground.

Same campaign. I played a Warforged DMM: Persist Cleric who worshipped himself, since I had orignally planned on worshiping Mechanus, which didn't exist in the setting (sadly I did not know about Gurren Lagaan at the time, or things would have been much more awesome). The campaign consisted, and I kid you not, almost entirely of collecting mail and doing boring errands for nobles, with nothing exciting happening whatsoever until a rushed easy battle with a poorly-established BBEG. I once killed a bird and chucked its corpse across town for landing on the wine we were delivering (no, nothing interesting happened when we delivered the wine, either). I started flying into clouds because I was bored, in and out of character. I even started playing Skyrim during sessions, because the DM had to handle 8 other characters, none of them in the same party, leaving me playing for about two hours out of a five-hour session (he liked party-splittage. Worst DM I've ever had).

According to the guy playing a DFI Bard with Words of Creation (who maintains that his character is [Exalted], despite PvPing my character's rolls to fail for his OOC dislike of me), the game was boring because I was a power-gaming munchkin. My post-buff numbers were... exactly the same as the Unarmed Swordsage Vampire and the Ranger/MoMF.

Vknight
2013-05-06, 08:13 PM
I am becoming that guy to a player in my campaign.
We are playing a supers game and he is a shape-shifter.
One clear rule I put up is a shape-shifter looks and can imitate other people but a girl can look like a guy but her chromosomes are still XX blah blah blah
Point being every time this has come up he gets more and more dragged into it, arguing that he should be able to.
He can buy the extra for 4 points.
And has been getting continuously annoyed at me for making him have to pay for that ability. I have pointed out that he needs that extra for a lot of the other shape-shifting things he wants. But wants them for free... and my point is its only 4 points not a big deal.

Sylthia
2013-05-08, 11:50 PM
I try not to be too much of a munchkin, but I can sometimes hog the spotlight a bit too much when role-playing, though I try not to too much.

Winter_Wolf
2013-05-09, 12:11 AM
Ah, "that guy". If you don't know "that guy", it's probably you.

It was me when my PC died and I took over an NPC and discovered he had a scroll of raise dead on him. Said spell doesn't (or didn't, in 2e) work on elves, which my dead PC was, by the way. But I pulled the wheedling "but of course this guy (who doesn't even really deceased PC) would use it to make sure we're going into the big battle with everyone."

So embarrassing. About 15 years later, and it's still the most embarrassing RPG related thing I've ever done.

Makiru
2013-05-09, 03:26 AM
I once possessed a galleon and flung it near light speed at a guy in a wheelchair across town because he looked at me funny. Doing this destroyed everything between the harbor and him and very nearly killed the guy. Then, while he was unconscious in a pool of his own blood, I possessed his wheelchair and zoomed off like a cackling maniac.

Later in that game, I set a joke shop we were staking out on fire, which then proceeded to explode and ignite the whole neighborhood. Then I possessed a fire wagon and jumped off a sweet-ass ramp to get out after the city got put on lockdown.

When breaking into a laboratory (literally, one wall at a time), I put everything on hold to have an awesome fight with a burning duck that had been genetically engineered to have ice skates for feet. Three rounds later, I had a new mount.

Nobody ever said anything, but playing Speed Demon really made me feel like a That Guy.