PDA

View Full Version : Are the powers for my new profession too complex?

Denihilist
2013-04-09, 10:21 AM
For background, I am creating a Monk type profession called Mors Manu (meaning Death Hand), and have decided to have a system where each day, the Mors Manu has a number of Inspirato (power) points which can be spent to use specific powers.

In my mind, as a Mors Manu grows in experience, the powers should cost less and less. However, writing it out is starting to look complicated. Will you look at the power description below and tell me if something like this is too complex please, or what ideas you would prefer?

Note, not all powers are this complex, I just thought I would show the worst of the lot.

Arx

Arx means keep or citadel, and the defenses a Mors Manu can create are like the walls of a stronghold. Essentially, this ability is a variation of the Jactus ability listed below. In this case, the projected power of their shout along with their responses and exceptional hand-eye coordination allows them to deflect or even stop ranged attacks. This ability can be extended to giving themselves better protection even to melee attacks.

Power Cost:

Arrows cost: 1 until level 3, then it is free

Level Available: 1

Duration: 1 round until level 3, 2 rounds levels 4-6, always available from levels 7 - 20

Crossbow Bolts cost: 1 until level 6, then it is free

Level Available: 3

Duration: 1 round until level 6, 2 rounds until level 9, always available from levels 10 - 20

Bullets cost: 2 until level 9, 1 until level 12, then it is free

Level Available: 6

Duration: 1 round until level 9, 2 rounds until level 12, always available from levels 13 - 20

Drynwyn
2013-04-09, 01:18 PM
This seems unnecessarily complicated to me (paticularly splitting arrpws and bolts.) Why not just "as protection from arrows, but costs X,Y,Z." If feeling ambitous, change the DR a bit by level- but no need to make a whole new thing whexisting bug abilities do the same thing. You definitely shouldn't list weapon types seperately, lest you miss something, E.G, thrown weapons.

Furthermore, note that an ability that jumps from costing something to costing nothing either increases considerably in power in many cases, or was effectively free to begin with and therefore gains no real power from being actually free. I can't make a full judgement from just this info, though- more would be nice.

DracoDei
2013-04-09, 01:37 PM
This may be explained badly, but there is basically no way it is "too complex".

I write stuff that is "too complex", so I know it when I see it. You have a paragraph of (mostly?) fluff, and then a few scant lines of rules. You have nothing to worry about. Just explain it more carefully (with examples if all else fails), and THEN we can start maybe talking about complexity.