PDA

View Full Version : Help for short adventure / dungeon in Gehenna

CalamaroJoe
2013-04-09, 11:22 AM
Hi Playground!
My players are soon going to be gated into Gehenna, and I'd like to present them a little adventure or dungeon to find a mean to return home. The problem is that I'm stuck and can't come out with anything interesting.

I read from various sources that Gehenna is a place where creatures continually struggle to gain influence and increase their power above others, but my players (and I myself) are not much into political games.
So I'd prefer a more straightforward dungeon, or a puzzle or some kind of test of valor or the like... (you see, I have no idea).

Any thoughts / hooks?
Fort information, the party is 6 people, level 6, non optimized.

Pally din
2013-04-09, 03:58 PM
1, Play the plane. 2, Play the inhabitants. This should not be a normal dungeon crawl. And the goal sure seems like escape to me.

And that is because the place is deadly. It is not as bad as some other planes, but I think if you play the place right that it is a TPK for level 6 players. Even if your players are evil, no one there wants to help them. The only reason it is not a total mob attack is because some of the inhabitants are using their intelligence to defeat the party.

So google gives me several pages on Gehenna. Seems like you should be making the players roll climbing or balance all the time. http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/planejammer-setting/wikis/gehenna

I recommend you rethink sending the party to such a hellish place.

CalamaroJoe
2013-04-10, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the insights.
I see your point, I also understand that the question is rather general to obtain some answers.

The point is I cornered myself in this kind of plot and now I would like to come out with something scary and with the feeling of being deadly but with some chances to escape.
I mean, there should be also low-level threats and creatures on the plane, isn't it?
Another doubt is: are there not buildings on the plane, except that city that walks around?

BWR
2013-04-10, 07:24 AM
Try digging up the old Planescape supplement "Planes of Conflict". It has the most and best info.

The not-so-nice planes are generally a bad place for low-level adventuring, because even if the PCs are lucky enough to avoid the inhabitants, the environment is usually lethal.

The best I can come up with is that they are pawns of the yogoloths. The 'loths are manipulators extraordinaire but they start low down. If a bunch of least 'loths like mezzoloths or piscoloths find chewy, sacred little mortals wandering around they may want to play with them. Just killing then is no fun.

First, have the PCs swaet trying to survive the terrain, then have them discovered and rescued by a lone 'loth. It will play up the friendly angle. Maybe it pretends to be nice and all, maybe it plays the 'you scratch my back I scratch yours', maybe it picks them up and hugs them and squeezes them and calls them George.

Then the 'loth starts asking for favors. Send them on gofer missions, ask them to try to deceive certain other rivals, do menial labor it can't be bothered to, give info on their home town and important people there, etc.

Then, depending on how you want to play it, the 'loth can find out a way to get them home - a gate to a Gate Town is most likely, or they can trick it and slip away ('loths of the lowest rank aren't terribly bright and are rather inexperienced; lucky bashers can pull the wool over their eyes). Maybe they have illusions passing themselves off as other 'loths, join a group of 'loths on a mercenary mission and sneak off in the heat of battle.

Just make sure that they come away feeling they've gotten the worse part of the bargain.