PDA

View Full Version : Malconvoker Help (bullrush, trip, grapple)

macdaddy
2013-04-09, 12:48 PM
So, I am playing a Malconvoker, just entered the class Wiz 5/ Malconvoker 1.
Feats: Rapid Summoning, Spell Focus(Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Extend Spell, Sculpt Spell, Meta Magic School Focus (Conj).

I have my full summon-able monster list, with all modifications (+4Str/+4Con), special abilities, etc. And I know which to use for given situations.

Now, I know that one of the keys to playing a Malconvoker successfully are tied heavily to understanding the bull rush, trip and grapple rules.

I am pretty sure I understand trip well. You knock them down, and when they try to stand or crawl away, everyone in range gets a free AoO. If they stay on the ground and attack, they get a whole bunch of minuses. Check!

I don't really understand the utility of Grapple, or the full rules behind it. It looks like you make a grapple check, succeed, and hold them (they get minuses/etc). Then you can make another check next round to pin them(?). If they are pinned and break free, what happens? are they still grappled? It looks like the sole purpose of grapple is to tie up enemy spell casters or force an enemy fighter to waste an action on freeing themselves. Is this right?

As for bull rush, I don't get it at all. I guess you could try and force some enemy back away from an ally, but is there more too it? Also not entirely sure how the mechanics work.

Also, while I know I can communicate with my summons (most speak common, and the ones that don't I have the languages for), can I reliably "direct" them in combat without giving up standard actions to issue orders? It seems to me that anything beyond a simple 2-3 word command would require me to use an action to accomplish.

Thanks in advance

Gwendol
2013-04-09, 01:24 PM
Grappling effectively holds enemies down regardless of pin. When grappling you don't threaten, lose dex to AC, have difficulties attacking, can't cast spells with somatic components. So if your summon grapples, the rest can simply pile on the attacks with little to risk of eating a full attack.

Bull rushing also can trigger AoO's. Bull rush a threatened enemy and those who do get to whack him. Then you got the obvious pushing off a cliff and whatnot.

Dayaz
2013-04-09, 04:40 PM
Those rules are helpful for utilizing a lot of the fiendish animals. But the Malconvoker shines with their access to all the different demon's SLAs. Have to play a castle defense quest? Summon a slew of Vrocks and ROFL at Ruin Dance. Need to assassinate a noble? Summon/Bind a few succubi and let them drain him to death.

Ice Walls, Contagions, it's all possible if you know what you're summoning.

I usually refresh myself by glancing at Treantmonklvl20's Malconvoker Guide (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker)

EDIT: Also, go all the way with Malconvoker, and you can Greater Bind a Balor <3 My DM hates me because my character has come to an agreement with a Balor for constant Binding him in exchange for him stealing all the souls of any enemies we kill.