PDA

View Full Version : I Just Caught A Snapping Turtle

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-09, 02:35 PM
What should I do with it?

Tvtyrant
2013-04-09, 02:50 PM
Make sure to wash your hands after touching it, as they are a good source of salmonella.

I would probably take some pictures of it and then return it to its home, as it will likely be happier in the wild. Also, it can bite off fingers so do not put them near its face.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-09, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, it's home happens to be my pond, and, as you mentioned, I would rather not lose any fingers. Or toes.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-09, 03:37 PM
Then why not leave it in your pond? How long has it been there?

Starwulf
2013-04-09, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately, it's home happens to be my pond, and, as you mentioned, I would rather not lose any fingers. Or toes.

Take it to the nearest river, snapping turtles live in rivers just as well as they do ponds(I should know, I've caught two snapping turtles when fishing for catfish).

Then why not leave it in your pond? How long has it been there?

I think the idea is, he wants to enjoy his pond, without fear of being bitten, which is pretty reasonable ^^

razark
2013-04-09, 03:38 PM
I believe soup is a traditional method.

Palanan
2013-04-09, 06:16 PM
How large is your pond? And what's the habitat like where you live?

As it happens, I caught a snapper in my pond a year or so ago...by hand, actually. Fortunately he was small enough that I still have all my fingers.

:smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2013-04-09, 07:17 PM
Video, please!

userpay
2013-04-09, 07:46 PM
Is there a wildlife organization nearby? Explain the situation to them and handing the turtle over should work pretty well.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-09, 08:00 PM
Feed it pizza and teach him ninjutsu.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-09, 08:44 PM
Is there a wildlife organization nearby? Explain the situation to them and handing the turtle over should work pretty well.

Snapping turtles aren't endangered.

Kindablue
2013-04-09, 09:19 PM
Get some newspaper or old sheets and cover the back seats of your car with them, then grab the back of the turtle's head with one hand and its body with your other, pick it up, put it in the back of your car, drive it a few miles away to a nearby river or pond, and drop it off. If you don't have a car, or you're lazy, then kill it with a rock.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-09, 10:07 PM
>_> I may have been unclear. I was less asking for advice on "How should I best care for a wild animal?" and more "How should I best turn a wild animal into wild animal soup?"

Kindablue
2013-04-09, 10:16 PM
Start with the rock.

TaiLiu
2013-04-09, 10:31 PM
Start with the rock.
I see. How should the rock be applied?

Starwulf
2013-04-09, 10:55 PM
Start with the rock.

Issue with that is, the moment you attack the turtles head, it'll just retreat back into the shell. Not to mention, they are pretty damn resilient. One of the snapping turtles I caught while catfishing was pretty freaking big(about the size of my torso). I tried to brain it with a rock so I could get my damn hook back(one of the few times I was using an expensive hook due to where I was fishing), It didn't even phase the damn thing, it just tried to bite my hand off ><. Eventually I gave up on getting my hook back, cut the line and let it wander off back into the water.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-09, 11:00 PM
Sheriff: Graphic violence against animals is still graphic violence. At least one post removed and thread locked.