PDA

View Full Version : How Does Am Do Website? (Specifically, Uploading HTML Files to a Site)

Deth Muncher
2013-04-09, 02:51 PM
Hey! It's been too long since I failed at computers, so I felt like I should pop back here and throw down some fail for you guys.

Actually no, in all seriousness, I need your help here.

For one of my final projects, I have to create a website. Now, this isn't actually as hard as I thought it would be - or at least, it wouldn't be, if I was doing it the same way as the rest of the class. See, everyone else gets to use Dreamweaver, and it looks super easy! But since this is an e-literature class, I decided I'd go make a Choose Your Own Adventure in Twine. (http://www.gimcrackd.com/etc/src/) This seemed like a great idea - it exports as an HTML, and that's what websites are, right? Yeah! No problem!

Except I don't actually know what to DO with it once I get an HTML. Now, for my university, we're provided with webspace, so I don't have to worry about hosting or domains or whatever. I just have to figure out how to get the HTML file onto the site and have it function. This is the portion of the thing where I use words I'm not comfortable with, so I apologize if I misuse words or terms - but, the school has an FTP server, and we have programs that SAY you just upload the file onto the website with them, like Filezilla or somesuch. Can I just use that program, import the HTML file onto the website and be done with it? Is it that simple?

Please and thanks guys.

KuReshtin
2013-04-11, 10:27 AM
Yep, it's pretty much that simple.
You'd want an index.html page to start with, and then it's just a question of uploading stuff to the folder (or subfolders) where you want the pages to be.

factotum
2013-04-11, 03:35 PM
Chances are that the FTP login you've been provided with (you have one of those, right?) will take you straight to your own homepage's area on the web server, and like Ku says, you just upload the files there. index.html is a common choice for a default page (e.g. the page that loads if you don't explicitly specify what file you're after in the URL), but you might want to double-check that's how your university server is configured.

Flickerdart
2013-04-11, 06:07 PM
Is your FTP hooked up to a web address (probably something asinine like faculty.university.edu/department/students/storage/class_name/class_section/your_name)? If it isn't, then no amount of uploading is going to matter, because you won't be able to access your files through HTTP.

Having said that, if all you want to do is present locally, you can just dump your files on a flash drive or something and "Open With" using a browser.

Deth Muncher
2013-04-12, 02:53 AM
Is your FTP hooked up to a web address (probably something asinine like faculty.university.edu/department/students/storage/class_name/class_section/your_name)? If it isn't, then no amount of uploading is going to matter, because you won't be able to access your files through HTTP.

Having said that, if all you want to do is present locally, you can just dump your files on a flash drive or something and "Open With" using a browser.

Yup, it's not quite that asinine but you're really close.

Can't just do it locally, though, as per project requirements, which makes me sad.

Yep, it's pretty much that simple.
You'd want an index.html page to start with, and then it's just a question of uploading stuff to the folder (or subfolders) where you want the pages to be.

Okay. So, I got the basic gist of that the other day when we did a tutorial with Dreamweaver, but my question is, can I upload a further HTML file? Like, I guess what I'm saying is, I figured, let's say I've got my Project.html file. My original thought is that I can't import this to Dreamweaver to upload, because it just wants files generated within it, so I can do things like index.html in there. But IS there a way to do it and have it accessible? Because that would be lovely. If I could just have one file be the index, and have that be the homepage, and have it link to my project (the thing with Twine is it is a browser-interactive story, so it's already got all of its code and stuff within it), then that'd just be super great. AND, it'd let me have all of the image and/or sound files for it right there and ready to go, as opposed to having to upload them to somewhere else and have the links access like that.

Flickerdart
2013-04-12, 09:27 AM
Okay. So, I got the basic gist of that the other day when we did a tutorial with Dreamweaver, but my question is, can I upload a further HTML file? Like, I guess what I'm saying is, I figured, let's say I've got my Project.html file. My original thought is that I can't import this to Dreamweaver to upload, because it just wants files generated within it, so I can do things like index.html in there. But IS there a way to do it and have it accessible? Because that would be lovely. If I could just have one file be the index, and have that be the homepage, and have it link to my project (the thing with Twine is it is a browser-interactive story, so it's already got all of its code and stuff within it), then that'd just be super great. AND, it'd let me have all of the image and/or sound files for it right there and ready to go, as opposed to having to upload them to somewhere else and have the links access like that.
Yes, you can upload as many HTML files as you want. Linking to an HTML file in the same folder is just <a href="filename.html">Link body</a>.

Deth Muncher
2013-04-12, 10:48 PM
Yes, you can upload as many HTML files as you want. Linking to an HTML file in the same folder is just <a href="filename.html">Link body</a>.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh5510vYi61qzaxefo1_500.jpg

I'm really ashamed at myself for never having learned programming of any flavor, other than the basic coding for typing forum posts here. Maybe now that I'm about to graduate and become a real adult, I'll have time to study things I want to learn like that and do fun things that are cool like websites.

Sparkify
2013-04-12, 10:57 PM
Well, not to break your heart or anything, but HTML/CSS isn't really programming, more like... making things look pretty. But yeah, it's a cool skill to have.

TaiLiu
2013-04-12, 11:01 PM
Well, not to break your heart or anything, but HTML/CSS isn't really programming, more like... making things look pretty. But yeah, it's a cool skill to have.
[Right me if I'm wrong, but] I don't see HTML referred to as a programming language [in this thread] at all.

Deth Muncher
2013-04-12, 11:09 PM
[Right me if I'm wrong, but] I don't see HTML referred to as a programming language [in this thread] at all.

Well, I mean, I'd said that I wanted to learn programming of some flavor, so that's probably what's being referenced here.

TaiLiu
2013-04-12, 11:24 PM
Well, I mean, I'd said that I wanted to learn programming of some flavor, so that's probably what's being referenced here.
Ah. This is in another thread, I presume.

Flickerdart
2013-04-12, 11:32 PM
The word you're looking for is markup language.

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-13, 07:58 PM
Ah. This is in another thread, I presume.

No, dude, it was 5 posts ago.

I'm really ashamed at myself for never having learned programming of any flavor, other than the basic coding for typing forum posts here. Maybe now that I'm about to graduate and become a real adult, I'll have time to study things I want to learn like that and do fun things that are cool like websites.

And yeah, there is a difference about the size of the Grand Canyon between HTML/forum codes and actual programming. And the most programming you're likely to do for an average website is gonna be some basic scripting which, while similar to programming, is generally a lot less involved.

KuReshtin
2013-04-17, 02:35 AM

Yes, like Flickerdart said, you can just upload as much as you like to the folder where your project needs to be stored and dump as much stuff in there as you have space for.
I'd even suggest that you create sub-folders for ease of finding your stuff, so that you have your top-folder for the HTML-files, then a sub folder for your images, and another for your sound files and so on.
It's a whole lot more convenient to have it sectioned off into individual groups like that than to try and have all of it in the same folder.