PDA

View Full Version : Critical-Focused Build [3.P/PF]

PlusSixPelican
2013-04-09, 03:22 PM
Since I'm not the best on mechanics, what are the existing/good builds for racking up critical hits? I'm not too familiar with how one would do it past using some kind of 18-20/x2 weapon. Also curious if trying to focus on getting more -attacks- would be a reliable means of increased damage compared to criticals, or perhaps some third melee thing.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-04-09, 08:02 PM
Idealy you want to get keen or improved crit on a 18-20 range weapon to bring it to 15-20 threat range... then its all about getting more attacks..

Dual wielding is a great way to increase the number of attacks.

Daftendirekt
2013-04-09, 08:20 PM
Let me walk you through the process:

1) Play a Magus.
2) Go for a high dex build.
3) Get a scimitar, and pick up the Dervish Dance feat.
4) Use your arcane pool to give it Keen once you are able.
5) Get Magical Lineage as one of your traits, and apply it to Shocking Grasp.
6) Take the Intensified Spell metamagic (NOTE: Not Intensify Spell. Totally different crap feat).
7) Enjoy critting 25% of the time (15-20 crit range) with your 1st level 10d6 shocking grasps channeled through your keen weapon.

:smallbiggrin:

Curious
2013-04-09, 09:29 PM
Let me walk you through the process:

1) Play a Magus.
2) Go for a high dex build.
3) Get a scimitar, and pick up the Dervish Dance feat.
4) Use your arcane pool to give it Keen once you are able.
5) Get Magical Lineage as one of your traits, and apply it to Shocking Grasp.
6) Take the Intensified Spell metamagic (NOTE: Not Intensify Spell. Totally different crap feat).
7) Enjoy critting 25% of the time (15-20 crit range) with your 1st level 10d6 shocking grasps channeled through your keen weapon.

:smallbiggrin:

In addition to this, there are a couple other wicked things you can do with the Magus, like:

Grab the Experimental Spellcaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power) feat (most of the way down the page) and learn to cast Accelerate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power/effect-words/accelerate). Now you can move and full attack ages earlier than any other class.

Depending on how your DM interprets the Spell Combat ability, two weapon fighting. While feat intensive, it can work alongside Dervish Dance (which every Magus should be using). All you have to do is declare your off-hand as your secondary weapon. Then, once you've started your full attack, you either swap the scimitar over to your other hand as a free action and make your secondary attacks with it, or declare that the hand holding the scimitar is now the off-hand and make your secondary attacks with it. Keep in mind that this all requires your DMs cooperation, 'cause if he interprets Spell Combat or Two-Weapon Fighting differently it just doesn't work.