PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Movie: who would you cast

screwtape
2013-04-09, 03:56 PM
Pardon if this has been done already. I looked and did not find a thread on it.

If they made a live action OOTS movie, who would you like to see cast as the different roles?

Mine:
Roy - Michael Jai White

Belkar - CGI Bruce Willis

Varsuvius - This is wide open.
- Tilda Swinton, since she's played men before. Kinda old now.
- Rooney Mara, but I don't know if she's masculine looking enough.
- Justin Bieber. So effeminate he may not be ambiguous enough.
- Cillian Murphy. I don't know if he's pretty enough.
- Ezra Miller. Kinda elfy looking too.

Haley - Emma Stone

Durkon - CGI Alan C umming (had to spell his name that way or the cuss-word filter replaced it with ***)
- CGI Zach Galifianakis

Elan - Justin Bieber is the only human annoying enough

Xykon - voiced by George Clooney

Red Cloak - Hugh Grant

martianmister
2013-04-09, 05:38 PM
Qarr - Daniel Radcliffe
MitD - Jennifer Lawrance
CoL - Alan Arkin

never_shades
2013-04-09, 06:54 PM
Donald
Glover
As
Elan.

Bam.

shamgar001
2013-04-09, 07:47 PM
I can't explain why, but Wayne Knight's "Mr. Blik" voice from Catscratch has always seemed to perfectly fit Xykon in my head, even though it doesn't fit the in-strip description.

Rakoa
2013-04-09, 08:05 PM
This topic tends to pop up quite a bit from what I've seen. I would love to have The Giant's opinion on some of these, or to know what he imagined some of his own characters to sound like.

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-09, 08:45 PM
Haley - Emma Stone

I'll bet 10 gp you're only saying this because of the red hair (which isn't natural BTW).

IMO, Emma Stone is too cheerful to play Haley.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-09, 08:51 PM
MitD - Jennifer Lawrance

YES. Oh my goodness yes. So much yes it cannot be contained in one post. You won the thread. No other suggestion will ever reach that level of amazingness.

Speaking of Jennifer Lawrence, I'd cast Liam Hemsworth as Elan. It's the only way I imagine all the fuss raised about his incredible handsomeness being completely true to the hype. And he's got the acting chops to portray Elan, Nale and (thanks to Could Atlas-like make up effects) Tarquin.

Shred-Bot
2013-04-09, 08:56 PM

If they made a live action OOTS movie, who would you like to see cast as the different roles?

Mine:
Roy - Michael Jai White

Haley - Emma Stone

Durkon - CGI Alan C umming (had to spell his name that way or the cuss-word filter replaced it with ***)
- CGI Zach Galifianakis

Red Cloak - Hugh Grant

Justin Bieber as both V and Elan? NEVER SAY NEVER

screwtape
2013-04-10, 06:55 AM
I'll bet 10 gp you're only saying this because of the red hair (which isn't natural BTW).

You owe me 10gp. I say Emma Stone because she is flipping adorable and she has the comedic chops for it.

IMO, Emma Stone is too cheerful to play Haley.

Okay. So who is your alternative? Juno Temple? Ari Graynor? Danielle Panabaker?

Gorfnod
2013-04-10, 07:35 AM
Without a doubt, Neil Patrick Harris for Elan, Nale and Tarquin. Is there anything that NPH can't do?

This of course would setup Felicia Day for Haley.

Olinser
2013-04-10, 08:13 AM

Mine:
Roy - Michael Jai White

Haley - Emma Stone

- CGI Zach Galifianakis

Red Cloak - Hugh Grant

Lord Shojo has to be Morgan Freeman.

Amaril
2013-04-10, 11:40 AM
I think Karen Gillian would make a fantastic Haley. Although I'm not sure what accent she actually has (I don't know if Amy Pond's Scottish accent is real or affected) or if it would matter.

Xelbiuj
2013-04-10, 03:26 PM
Donald
Glover
As
Elan.

Bam.

That's actually not a bad choice, charisma and musical talent already. Troy and Abed from Community actually have similar traits to Elan, Troy has the childlike innocents and Abed is genre savvy. I doubt he'd have too much trouble pulling it off.

Without a doubt, Neil Patrick Harris for Elan, Nale and Tarquin. Is there anything that NPH can't do?

He can't play someone in their early twenties. ;)
He'd make a great Tarquin though.

Howler Dagger
2013-04-10, 04:36 PM
I would cast Matt Smith as Elan (along with Nale and Tarquin), Jennifer Lawrence for Haley, Donald Glover as Roy, and Toby Jones as Durkon.

I really have no idea for Belkar though.

NPH's silliness never comes off a genuine for me, which is why I would dislike him as Elan.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-04-10, 05:37 PM
I think Karen Gillian would make a fantastic Haley.

Karen is thin and Haley is not.

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-10, 06:13 PM
I think Karen Gillian would make a fantastic Haley. Although I'm not sure what accent she actually has (I don't know if Amy Pond's Scottish accent is real or affected) or if it would matter.

She is actually Scottish, yes.

Amaril
2013-04-10, 07:52 PM

What makes you say that? I don't know how anyone can tell with the OotS art style, but I personally always imagined Haley being relatively thin and light, since I tend to imagine characters with body types naturally suited to their class unless it becomes important. Regardless, I don't think that's a significant enough detail that it would prevent Karen from playing the character--Haley's most recognizable physical traits are her red hair and (I assume) attractiveness, both of which Ms. Gillian has in spades.

Of course, I typically picture Haley with an American accent (I read Elan as British for some reason), but I don't think that's particularly important either, since the characters have never been given voices before and if it really did matter, Karen might be able to fake it. I've seen actors fake accents really well for long-term roles (Hugh Laurie as Dr. House, for example).

rodneyAnonymous
2013-04-10, 08:38 PM
What makes you say that?

"Actually, a LOT roomy in the hips, I had to pin the waist." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html)

Also, compare Celia and Haley; Celia is much more slender. Other information also, but I don't remember it clearly enough to find it.

More importantly, in my opinion Karen Gillian is not a good actor. Just being a hot redhead isn't nearly enough, I don't think. Start there, don't end there.

Amaril
2013-04-10, 09:08 PM
"Actually, a LOT roomy in the hips, I had to pin the waist." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html)

Also, compare Celia and Haley; Celia is much more slender. Other information also, but I don't remember it clearly enough to find it.

More importantly, in my opinion Karen Gillian is not a good actor. Just being a hot redhead isn't nearly enough, I don't think. Start there, don't end there.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree--I like her acting a lot. Anyway, I'd forgotten those parts of the comic. Clever of you to spot that (although given that Celia is a Faerie, I think she'd probably be thinner than most humans, so the comparison still might not be entirely accurate).

rodneyAnonymous
2013-04-10, 09:10 PM
I think she'd probably be thinner than most humans...

KG also.

shamgar001
2013-04-10, 09:23 PM
Kristen Bell as Celia

J. August Richards as Roy

I always used the voice of Alfonse Elric from the English dub of Fullmetal Alchemist for MitD

David Borneaz as Hinjo

Blue1005
2013-04-11, 06:53 AM
Morgan Freeman as Himself, walking into random scenes and explaining the psychological underpinnings of it.

Sunken Valley
2013-04-11, 10:07 AM
Morgan Freeman as Himself, walking into random scenes and explaining the psychological underpinnings of it.

No, Morgan Freeman as Roy's Archon.

Neil Patrick Harris as Tarquin

But seriously, by the time an OOTS movie comes out everyone you could possibly mention will be dead or in their 90s.

screwtape
2013-04-11, 11:35 AM

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2394794/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

She's actually from Scotland. Maybe she could be Durkon?

screwtape
2013-04-11, 11:40 AM
Kristen Bell as Celia

good call. me likey. Me likey a lot.

screwtape
2013-04-11, 11:53 AM

So, you'd like an actress who's a little more... roomy?

Christina Hendricks, perhaps?
Rebel Wilson?
Kat Dennings? (can act)

Though, I don't picture Haley as quite that voluptous.

How about...
Bryce Dallas Howard?
Scarlet Johansson? (can act, but I don't think she's quite right)
Jessica Biel? (terrible actress though)
Zooey Deschanel?

rodneyAnonymous
2013-04-11, 12:18 PM
Kate Winslet would be great.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-11, 01:27 PM

- CGI Zach Galifianakis

That sounds like a horrible idea!

I just...words fail me. No! NO!!!!! No times over 9,000.

Antipode
2013-04-11, 08:23 PM
Tom Hanks as Hobgoblin Warrior from Strip #433, Panel 3.

Amaril
2013-04-11, 11:24 PM
You know, now that I think about it, Morgan Freeman could actually be pretty good as Horace Greenhilt. I doubt they could get him for a more involved role, but come on, you've gotta have Morgan Freeman in this somewhere.

CrispyCriminal
2013-04-12, 01:12 AM
Jeff Anderson as Belkar.

Bit of a stretch but I can't help but hear his voice every time I read the wise cracks at the plot and characters.

GigaGuess
2013-04-12, 10:44 AM
Speaking of Jennifer Lawrence, I'd cast Liam Hemsworth as Elan. It's the only way I imagine all the fuss raised about his incredible handsomeness being completely true to the hype. And he's got the acting chops to portray Elan, Nale and (thanks to Could Atlas-like make up effects) Tarquin.

And I'm sure I speak for many, many people that would like to see him "invisible." :p

And I gotta admit, Kat Dennings as Haley would be good. She has the sardonic wit that I think would bring her to life.

screwtape
2013-04-12, 12:53 PM
I like Kate Winslet a lot, but I just don't see her as Haley.

That sounds like a horrible idea!

Which is a horrible idea? Bruce Willis? Alan C? Zach G? All of the above? Come on, use words.

I just...words fail me. No! NO!!!!! No times over 9,000.

Why? Is it because you love Biebs so much or because you don't love him at all? What's the objection? Kindly propose alternatives. I didn't make this thread just ot be criticized. I want to hear your ideas too.

Here's a few new ones:
John Lovitz as Xykon
Jack McBrayer as Elan <-- my best pick yet.

as Belkar...
...Elijah Wood (hilarious for the irony)
...Aaron Paul (angry enough and can deliver comedy)
...James Franco (maybe too good looking)
...Jonah Hill (great sarcastic delivery)
...Frankie Muniz

AngryHobbit
2013-04-12, 01:11 PM
as Belkar...
...Aaron Paul (angry enough and can deliver comedy)

Well , one Aaron Paul's character is a "cook", just like Belkar.
But isn't "[insert random sentence], bitch!" more a Haley's thing?

Doctor Foreman
2013-04-12, 03:11 PM
For some reason, I think Trey Parker would voice a really good Belkar.

Edit: If Belkar's accent is British (though his dialect doesn't seem to be), I'd go for David Mitchell.

'Nother edit: Peter Weller for Xykon.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-12, 03:39 PM
And I'm sure I speak for many, many people that would like to see him "invisible." :p

Yes. Yes, you do. :smallamused:

Ramax
2013-04-12, 09:01 PM
Lord Shojo - Patrick Stewart.

Unkillable_Cat
2013-04-12, 09:38 PM
I'm not even gonna touch the main cast, but as for the supporting cast...

George Takei as Lord Shojo.
Brian Blessed as Thor.
Rowan Atkinson as Lord Kabuto.
Bill Cosby as Eugene Greenhilt.
Alan Rickman voices Malack.
Sigourney Weaver voices 'Mama' Black Dragon.
Noomi Rapace as Lien.

Doctor Foreman
2013-04-13, 01:37 AM

Brian Blessed as Thor.
Noomi Rapace as Lien.

I'd have preferred Tony Jay as Malack, but otherwise not bad!

shamgar001
2013-04-13, 03:14 AM

Brian Blessed as Thor.
Noomi Rapace as Lien.

I have never supported a post as much as this one.

Unkillable_Cat
2013-04-13, 06:18 AM
I'd have preferred Tony Jay as Malack, but otherwise not bad!

I get you, but sadly Tony Jay passed away more than 6 years ago.

Doctor Foreman
2013-04-13, 08:11 AM
I get you, but sadly Tony Jay passed away more than 6 years ago.

I know...just thinking in hypotheticals.

Carry2
2013-04-13, 10:43 AM
George Takei +1.

It's struck me recently that Burn Gorman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1218607/) could make a pretty decent Belkar. Owen from Torchwood had the same wise-cracking-borderline-sociopath-with-a-hint-of-reform vibe going.

Amaril
2013-04-13, 01:13 PM

Brian Blessed as Thor.
Noomi Rapace as Lien.

SO MUCH WIN :smallbiggrin:

Belkar<3
2013-04-13, 04:19 PM
Lord Shojo has to be Morgan Freeman.

YESSIR

Thread won.

Cizak
2013-04-14, 03:42 PM
This thread again, and this time it just seems like a thinly veiled excuse to hate on Beiber.

Conte_Vincero
2013-04-15, 09:17 AM
David Tennant for Xykon anyone? He is very good at doing insanity.

GigaGuess
2013-04-15, 09:22 AM
Lord Shojo has to be James Hong. Just listen to him play Covetous Shen in Diablo II and tell me he wouldn't be right at home telling everyone what Mr. Scruffy is saying.

Shred-Bot
2013-04-15, 10:32 AM
This thread again, and this time it just seems like a thinly veiled excuse to hate on Beiber.

There really was a lot of Bieber venom in the OP, wasn't there?

At least nobody has suggested Will Smith as Roy this time. (Though Roy punching out the Snarl and saying "Welcome to the Prime Material" would be hilarious.)

Silverionmox
2013-04-15, 11:20 AM
Tom Cruise as Elan (and therefore Nale). Can't think of anyone else combining annoyingness and self-aggrandizement to such an extent.

Danny Devito as Belkar (saves on the CGI budget as well :p )

Jared Leto as Redcloak. Angst!

Javier Bardem as Xykon. I want to see what he can with naught but a skull and a twinkle in his eye sockets.

Amaril
2013-04-15, 12:08 PM
David Tennant for Xykon anyone? He is very good at doing insanity.

Hmmm...I don't know the name of the guy who played the Master in season 3 of the new show, but I actually think he'd make a better Xykon (the characters are incredibly similar). Tennant would still be awesome, though.

screwtape
2013-04-15, 01:15 PM
...this time it just seems like a thinly veiled excuse to hate on Beiber.

What's wrong with that?

Olinser
2013-04-15, 03:52 PM
In retrospect, I retract my earlier casting.

I now state that Lord Shojo should be played by Christopher Walken.

JustSomeGuy
2013-04-15, 04:46 PM
I don't care who be Nale and Elan, as long as Timothy Dalton gets to be Tarquin.

And Rowan Atkinson was born for, and lived his life in preparation to be, an evil scheming noble. But would need much more screen time to prepare his terribly cunning plans.

Olinser
2013-04-15, 04:57 PM
I don't care who be Nale and Elan, as long as Timothy Dalton gets to be Tarquin.

And Rowan Atkinson was born for, and lived his life in preparation to be, an evil scheming noble. But would need much more screen time to prepare his terribly cunning plans.

I submit that Tarquin should be played by Christopher Waltz (Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds).

He had just the perfect blend of calm civility, competence, and pragmatism covering his complete and total evilness.

JustSomeGuy
2013-04-16, 04:31 PM
I don't read Tarquin as so unpredictable and goofball... plus, did you see Flash Gordon, several Bond movies and Hot Fuzz? Dalton displays literally everything you'd expect from Tarquin with serious style.

Also, as a further thought - Robert Carlisle as Belkar (in Begbie from trainspotting character mode).

wingnutx
2013-04-29, 01:03 AM
Belkar - Bill Burr

Breccia
2013-05-01, 08:59 AM
Obviously some of the characters need to be CGI, and my personal choice would be a full-animated movie in stick figures. However, to comply with the OP's requests when possible:

Roy: Tall, dark-skinned, can fight, but can play a smart and caring individual, and be able to drop humor when called for. Will Smith might do it.
Belkar: Honestly I think Martin Klebba, this guy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0458514/?ref_=tt_cl_t14), could do the job.
Durkon: Sean Connery would never do it. James Cosmo might, having been in Narnia.
Haley: A woman who can both handle a bow nimbly in combat, but also handle the "talking to yourself" scenes in her own head. Hmm. Scarlett Johansson?
V: Jim Parsons. It's typecast, but I'm sure he can handle the cold logic part and fairly sure he'd have the sense of humor to do D&D in half-drag.
Elan/Nale:I'd go with Hayden Christensen. Young, blonde, good-looking, fairly sure he can do a swordfight, and fairly sure he can act like (a) a complete idiot and (b) a murder hell-bent on revenge.

Tarquin: Mark Hamill. For no other reason than the "I am your father" line and my casting choice for Elan. We also have proof Hamill has a great sense of humor, after playing himself in both Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and an episode of Third Rock from the Sun, both hillarious.
The Red Dragon Tarquin "works" For: Fran Dresher.
The two reptilian bounty hunters: Hank Azaria and Seth Rogen. Don't care which is which.
Lord Shinjo: Robin Williams. The skeleton-throwing scene cemented that.

Xykon: Needs to sound like a sociopath who would dip his own minions in acid for a laugh, but gets bored with tactical planning. Needs to sound like a badass, too. I'm actually going with Ron Perlman, based on his work in Hellboy.
Redcloak:Needs to be someone who sounds like a criminal mastermind and deeply sinister. I say William DeFoe.
MitD:It's a bit of a reach, but I kind of picture his voice slow, calm, somewhere between childlike and stoned. Problem is, he has these outbursts of rage. I couldn't think of anyone good. My best guess is Brad Neely, the voice of Babycakes on Adult Swim's "China IL", and that's not a very good choice I admit.

gorocz
2013-05-01, 12:15 PM
He does evoke Lord Blackadder, now you mentioned it.
---

Brian Blessed as Thor.
Read as (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html):
DAMN YOU WOMAN! HE GOT THAT DISEASE WHILE DEFENDING AN ORPHANAGE, FOR MY SAKE!
---

Mark Hamill as Soda (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html).

KillingAScarab
2013-05-01, 04:43 PM
Tom Hanks as Hobgoblin Warrior from Strip #433, Panel 3.Nah, see, that strip featured the character as a baby (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0703.html), so clearly you want him voiced by Bruce Willis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097778/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). :smallwink:

He's hip, he's cool, and he's not even in his first age category.

On the other hand, 1980s Tom Hanks would be perfect for Leeky Windstaff. Turning into a bear is just like a hairier version of Big, right?

Deepbluediver
2013-05-01, 04:59 PM
I submit that Tarquin should be played by Christopher Waltz (Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds).

He had just the perfect blend of calm civility, competence, and pragmatism covering his complete and total evilness.

This might sound weird, but I think that Pierce Brosnan would make the perfect Tarquin; he seems very much like an evil James Bond.

Also, who else thinks Samuel Jackson would make a good Roy? And it's not just because he's a hot item atm thanks to Avengers. I'm picturing Sammy J. in the movie Deep Blue Sea, in which he spends most of his screen time dragging a totally un-prepared group of scientists through an unfolding disaster scenario.
At least until his completely unexpected death when he gets eaten by a shark, right after giving everyone the "suck it up" speech.

Laurence Fishburne plays Roy's grandfather (Horace).

I'm also thinking Bruce Willis for O-Chul, and I'm still brainstorming on who we can get to be Julio Scoundrel.

Edit: Oh, and does anyone think Angelino Jolie has the acting chops to pull of an evil character? Like Sabine?

R-Group
2013-05-01, 05:18 PM
I have only two suggestions. Someone on the other page mentioned Ron Perlman for Xykon, which I think is a perfect match. He is deep-voiced, and can be very menacing, but (like when he played the Teller in the Island of Dr. Moreau) he can convey a sense of cold arrogance into his acting, which I feel would match quite well.

Second, I personally would love to see Christopher Lee voice Red-Cloak. I think he'd get the internal turmoil spot on, but be able to balance in RC's intelligence and tactical planning well.

Just my two cents.

Hattish Thing
2013-05-03, 01:09 AM
Oh, Bill Nighy as Xykon. Scariest villain. Ever. (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nighy)