PDA

View Full Version : Blue Slaad's Bite/Disease on a non-humanoid Arcane Spellcaster?

ksbsnowowl
2013-04-09, 05:08 PM
A Red Slaad's implanted eggs can work in any creature, creating a Blue Slaad that busts out H.R. Geiger-style.

However, the Blue Slaad's disease ability seems a bit more selective in what it will transform. But exactly how selective is it?

Slaad Fever (Su): Supernatural disease—bite, Fortitude DC 18, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Cha. The save DC is Constitution-based.

An afflicted humanoid reduced to Charisma 0 by slaad fever immediately transforms into a red slaad. It retains none of the features, traits, memories, or abilities of its former self, and is a normal red slaad in all respects.

If the infected being is an arcane spellcaster, the disease instead produces a green slaad.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, a Blue Slaad's diseased bite has three possible outcomes (aside from surviving and fighting off the disease):
1) The victim is a humanoid; when his Charisma reaches 0, he becomes a Blue Slaad.
2) The victim is an arcane spellcaster of any creature type that isn't immune to disease, be it humanoid, fey, outsider, whatever; when his Charisma reaches 0 (I'm inferring that, as the wording is vague), he turns into a Green Slaad.
3) The victim is a non-humanoid non-arcane spellcaster; his Charisma goes to 0 and he sits there in a coma until he fights it off, or he is healed.

Is that correct? A Blue can only make more Red's via Humanoids, but can make Greens from ANY arcane spellcaster, regardless of type?

Tvtyrant
2013-04-09, 05:11 PM
I believe it still only works on humanoids. The last sentence is a modifier of the previous paragraph.

But I could be wrong.

Edit: On the other hand, there isn't that many interactions between Slaadi and humanoids in the first place. If there were a loophole for arcanists, there would be hundreds of times more green slaads than other types. Outsiders are far more numerous than humanoids, and SLAs count towards casting.

ksbsnowowl
2013-04-09, 05:24 PM
Well, as it is, the Red Slaad's implant ability works on anything, regardless of type, creating a Blue Slaad, or a Green Slaad if the implanted host is an arcanist.

So, there would still be LOTS of Blue Slaad, and a proportional number of Green Slaad to arcanists in the populations encountered.

So, whether a Blue Slaad can create a Green from an arcanist of any type isn't of much consequence to the species as a whole.

But making Red Slaad is pretty well restricted to humanoids. But Gith are humanoids, IIRC, so that's probably where the majority of Reds come from.

More than anything, I want to know for story/plot reasons.

Asmodai
2013-04-10, 09:12 AM
Considering what the Slaadi actually are, I'd ignore the humanoids thing.