PDA

View Full Version : How to Gain Immunity to the wind?

Zero grim
2013-04-09, 07:04 PM
While sat on your ship that's magically blown by a hurricane you think to yourself, "man I hope I don't get blown off into the sky!"

Is there a spell or magic item that grants you immunity to the wind without stopping the wind itself?

(worst comes to worst ill just have to chain everyone down to the deck, which has a certain charm already)

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-09, 07:26 PM
Hmm, there is a druid spell in Spell Compendium that grants immunity to high winds. I think it's called stormrage.

EDIT: Personal range, though.

ArcturusV
2013-04-09, 07:32 PM
Well there's the second level Wizard/Sorcerer spell Stormrunner's Ward, which gives your ship a bonus to not sink during a storm. Stormwalk, Wizard/Sorcerer level 8 spell, could get yourself and your crew to safety. And level 9 on the Sorcerer/Wizard list has Planar Navigation which would let you just pop the ship wholesale into another plane.

Though at the point you're tossing out high level magic like Stormwalk and Planar Navigation, you have other options for it I suppose from just killing off the storm easily, to Wishes, or more esoteric options.

Control Currents (Druid 4), and Favorable Wind (Druid 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 3) combined could just let you laugh as you make a pocket of very favorable conditions for your ship in the middle of a raging storm.

Zero grim
2013-04-09, 07:34 PM
Sorry should have been a bit more clear, I wanted spells to make the crew on the ship immune to the wind, the ship itself is fine.

storm rage is level 8 and a massive amount of overkill for my needs (grants flight and immunity to a bunch of things), ideally I want something that would make a cheap magic items, or just a cheap magic item to begin with.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-09, 07:42 PM
Sorry should have been a bit more clear, I wanted spells to make the crew on the ship immune to the wind, the ship itself is fine.

storm rage is level 8 and a massive amount of overkill for my needs (grants flight and immunity to a bunch of things), ideally I want something that would make a cheap magic items, or just a cheap magic item to begin with.

I thought there was some kind of favorable wind spell somewhere...just override the natural winds with calm winds.

Are you using the Stormwrack supplement?

Zero grim
2013-04-09, 07:49 PM
Yes I'm using storm wrack, the reason i need the immunity to wind is so that I can actually crew a ship in a hurricane, its the fastest way I can think of travelling with a ship.

elonin
2013-04-09, 08:00 PM
Hmm, there is a druid spell in Spell Compendium that grants immunity to high winds. I think it's called stormrage.

EDIT: Personal range, though.

Isn't there a druid variant that lets you wildshape into a construct? If so then wildshape into a construct then cast this on yourself.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-09, 08:25 PM
Yes I'm using storm wrack, the reason i need the immunity to wind is so that I can actually crew a ship in a hurricane, its the fastest way I can think of travelling with a ship.

Hmm, the winds in a hurricane blow in a circular pattern, though. Maybe not the best way to go in a straight line, assuming you mean a normal hurricane.

If you just mean hurricane force winds, then I would suggest everyone be below decks. Even if everyone were immune to the wind, the waves that might wash over the decks due to the force of the ship moving through the water could make being on deck a poor life choice.

Zero grim
2013-04-09, 08:34 PM
Yea I did mean hurricane force winds, didn't think about the waves and such, perhaps just one bad-ass captain to stay on deck and make sure the ship doesn't do something terrible, everyone else inside their extra padded Fortifying Bedroll's.

would be nice if there was a none-epic teleport spell with a ship.

also favourable winds doesn't stop other winds, it just is a longer lasting gust of wind spell as far as I can tell, you'd need control wind/weather for that.

ArcturusV
2013-04-09, 08:34 PM
Yeah. I mean Stormrunner's Ward will help prevent your ship from sinking. But it specifically doesn't protect the crew against Winds or Greenwater. So you'd need something to protect against that. Favorable Winds with a crew that isn't small sized would be a way to get the speed without a lot of drawbacks. Combine a 30 mph wind with a Favorable Current spell, and you could end up hitting something like 70 mph with no risk. That's about the best you could hope for.

Alefiend
2013-04-09, 08:59 PM
Stormborn sorcerer bloodline (Pathfinder) eventually makes you unaffected by wind conditions. Some others might also.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-09, 09:05 PM
Yea I did mean hurricane force winds, didn't think about the waves and such, perhaps just one bad-ass captain to stay on deck and make sure the ship doesn't do something terrible, everyone else inside their extra padded Fortifying Bedroll's.

would be nice if there was a none-epic teleport spell with a ship.

also favourable winds doesn't stop other winds, it just is a longer lasting gust of wind spell as far as I can tell, you'd need control wind/weather for that.

Umm, isn't there a spell planar navigation? Hmm, yeah, there is. And it is terribly written, never going into it's accuracy beyond "you go to plane x". But you could use it to eyeball a level for a spell that teleports a ship on the same plane. Spell research is a thing, after all.

If the ship can fit through a gate, that's always nice. Wouldn't be practical for any of the nice, real-world style ships.

Jack_Simth
2013-04-09, 09:17 PM

Everfull Sails, Stormwrack page 131; 12,000 gp per sail unit for the ship.

If Stronghold Builder's Guide is in play, you can also ensure that your ship never is in stormy weather by way of the Orb of Pleasant Breezes for 33,000 gp on page 81 (cheaper than the Everfull sails if you've got three or more masts on the ship, although you'll either need to do a lot of rowing or have Everfull Sails anyway....)

Krobar
2013-04-09, 10:07 PM
I would probably go with the spell Submerge Ship. You don't need to worry about winds or green water or anything like that.

Scow2
2013-04-10, 09:27 AM
From what I gathered, he doesn't want to avoid the winds - On the contrary, he's hoping to use powerful winds to propel his ship insanely fast. What he needs is a way to let that happen without putting the crew at risk.

What's the ship design? A strong enough canvas enclosure could offer protection against excessive winds while also functioning as a sail. Maybe.

Zubrowka74
2013-04-10, 10:00 AM
How about becoming incorporeal ? Either through a polymorph effect or some other spell.

Krobar
2013-04-10, 10:07 AM
From what I gathered, he doesn't want to avoid the winds - On the contrary, he's hoping to use powerful winds to propel his ship insanely fast. What he needs is a way to let that happen without putting the crew at risk.

What's the ship design? A strong enough canvas enclosure could offer protection against excessive winds while also functioning as a sail. Maybe.

Then he probably wants a cloud keel so the ship can fly. Add a set or two of Fharlanghn's Lines, so the crew won't even need to be on deck at all, and that should take care of it.

If the ship is actually ON THE WATER in weather like that, there's a good chance it will sink due to too much green water coming aboard.

Valwyn
2013-04-10, 05:29 PM

If you want a single person to be immune to the winds, like the captain, you could try a 3rd level Stormlord (Complete Divine 65). They (and their mounts) get to move at regular speed despite storms (even magic ones), are unaffected by high wind/rain/waves/objects thrown by wind/thunder/natural lightning and other stuff that Talos/suitable god throws at you. That's a pretty big list, and it's all Ex. :smallamused:
At 6th level you also get to Fly during storms (and it specifically mentions that hurricane force winds don't matter), but that's a Su ability.

The requirements might make it not the best choice, though. Remember that rangers get Endurance for free at 3rd level.

dascarletm
2013-04-10, 05:37 PM
Enlarge Person should help, but I don't think that only 1 size increase will provide immunity.

EDIT: upon further digging at least you won't be blown away, but will just be risking falling down. If you can get Huge you will just be checked.