View Full Version : Horse wielding a shield

Qc Storm
2013-04-09, 08:09 PM
Is there a way to do that?

One of my friends is building a mounted crusader for a new game (level 1). He's taking a lot of Tower Shield related feats, like Shield Ward, Shieldmate (he is technically adjacent to his horse, right?), White Raven Defense.

Not super optimized I know, but its his theme and the party is not that powerful.

Shield Wall is a feat that would fit him greatly, but nobody else uses a shield. Is there a way for his horse to wield a shield, have shield proficiency, and take Shield Wall?

I was thinking of a Steel Shield with Mouthpick Shield Spikes but that may be entering Cheddar territory.

Siosilvar
2013-04-09, 08:20 PM
You can get the shield as an Animated Shield. Minimum cost: 9150 + shield.

As for proficiency, 5 levels of Paladin gets a heavy warhorse with 2 extra HD and an "as normal" feat due to that. Getting another feat would require a Warpony, Riding Dog, or something else with 2HD base and 8 levels of paladin to get it up to 6HD (two feats beyond the standard statblock). Or, you could get a friendly caster to cast Heroics on the shield-proficient horse when necessary; it's only a second-level spell. A druid could do the same thing as the paladin with his animal companion.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Pally din
2013-04-09, 08:32 PM
It is called a Centaur. ;) Or maybe a werehorse in hybrid form. Otherwise, I don't see a horse having the hands to wield anything.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-09, 08:47 PM
You can graft arms to it.

Maybe you can get your horse the Half Golem template via robot arms. It's not like the horse is worried about Level Adjustment :smallbiggrin:

Alefiend
2013-04-09, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure a rider can even use a tower shield while mounted. I'm AFB with a bad connection as well, but this seems like it should be a thing.

Qc Storm
2013-04-09, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure a rider can even use a tower shield while mounted. I'm AFB with a bad connection as well, but this seems like it should be a thing.

Logically, this should be the case. But rules do not mention this anywhere.

Better not shaft shield users more than they already are.

Deaxsa
2013-04-09, 10:11 PM
Logically, this should be the case. But rules do not mention this anywhere.

Better not shaft shield users more than they already are.

true, but there are other ways to un-shaft shield users (all shields other than buckler get +1 or 2 ac, shields add to touch ac, etc) while staying relatively realistic.

edit: btw that is a hilarious concept, i totally adore it.

Fates
2013-04-09, 10:19 PM
...what.

Erm, are you completely sure this is what you want to do? I'm...really having a hard time imagining a horse being part of a shield wall. Just how serious does the crusader want to be taken?

I suppose you could graft arms onto it, or use an animated shield, but it'll probably be a few levels until that's an option.

He could always just hire a few 1st-level warriors to help him out, though too many would probably annoy the crap out of your party, especially at first level when they're actually capable of contributing meaningfully to combat.

Namfuak
2013-04-09, 11:07 PM
Shields, like armor, have pricing and weight modifiers for large, non-humanoid shields. Simply buy one of those for the horse and it can use it, since it is non-humanoid. Shield proficiency similarly has no prerequisites, so the horse could take it as a feat. If need be, you could DCFS the original feats for it or level up the horse and take a level of fighter, but heroics does not work because shield proficiency is not on the fighter bonus feat list (like martial weapon proficiency, it would be redundant).

Coidzor
2013-04-09, 11:44 PM
gloves of man? Mouthpick weapon property?

Qc Storm
2013-04-09, 11:45 PM
I've yet to receive confirmation on whether or not the Horse you ride could count as an adjacent ally.

I'd also like to know if, by RAW, a shield with mouthpick shield spikes could work.

I like your ideas so far. Especially the half-golem. Expected level is not an issue since he can't take shield wall at level 1 anyway (other feats getting in the way.)

Rubik
2013-04-10, 12:50 AM
Shields are considered weapons even without spikes (see: shield bash), so a mouthpick shield would TECHNICALLY, work, though you'd have to find some way to allow the horse to actually see.

Andezzar
2013-04-10, 12:56 AM
I've yet to receive confirmation on whether or not the Horse you ride could count as an adjacent ally.Thje horse obviously is not adjacent (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_adjacent&alpha=A) to its rider. They occupy the same square(s).
For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat.

Qc Storm
2013-04-10, 01:14 AM
Thje horse obviously is not adjacent (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_adjacent&alpha=A) to its rider. They occupy the same square(s).

Oh.

Well this thread is pointless then.

Shields are considered weapons even without spikes (see: shield bash), so a mouthpick shield would TECHNICALLY, work, though you'd have to find some way to allow the horse to actually see.

Poke holes into the shield. Horses are already used to these things around their eyes to restrict their vision. An extreme shield won't make a big difference.

Ashtagon
2013-04-10, 01:38 AM
Oh.

Well this thread is pointless then.

Poke holes into the shield. Horses are already used to these things around their eyes to restrict their vision. An extreme shield won't make a big difference.

I'm having difficulty seeing a mouthpick anything as believable for any creature that isn't either an aberration or has an obviously prehensile tongue. Without that, although they could conceivably carry something (in the same way a pirate could carry a dagger in his mouth while climbing a rope), they can't really manipulate it.

[/grinch]

Killer Angel
2013-04-10, 04:21 AM
You can graft arms to it.

...is this one, the campaign of the "island of dr. Moreau"? :smallamused: