PDA

View Full Version : [Legend] Polymorph and Disguise

Razanir
2013-04-09, 08:19 PM
Okay, so I'm assuming this goes here since Legend is d20, and, if TV Tropes is to be believed, started here as a set of houserules.

That intro aside, I just downloaded Legend today. I mostly like the system, except for its glaring lack of disguise and polymorph effects. Does anyone have houserules they use for this? Alternatively, would it be balanced to bring over 3.X disguise and PF polymorph? (I'll probably also bring over the Giant's Persuasion skill, but that's another thread)

Doorhandle
2013-04-09, 09:02 PM
First off, probably better in the other RPGs group, or even better, on Rule of Cool's own forums! (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php)

Back on topic: I have no idea. It IS quite annoying that their is very little shape shifting: most of it is achieved through refluffing things like path of rage and floating feats. Disguise in particular seems like it would go under their larceny or bluff, but isn't actually mentioned in the rules.

Regardless: The absesense of disguise spells and polymorph was probably to prevent spellcasters from eclipsing rouges and melee-types respectively. But the combination of nerfs to casters, buffs to mundane/mundane-ish types, and the general modular nature of the game means it could work: partially if the transformations just gave straight damage/stat bonuses rather than bonus to specific stats like most things in game now.

Larkas
2013-04-09, 09:36 PM
This is the right sub forum to ask this in GitP. That said, I don't know how to implement such a fix. Maybe lose the spellcasting track and gain the (or one of the) polymorphed creature's in its place for a set time?

Razanir
2013-04-09, 09:50 PM
This is the right sub forum to ask this in GitP. That said, I don't know how to implement such a fix. Maybe lose the spellcasting track and gain the (or one of the) polymorphed creature's in its place for a set time?

That... Might work. Trade the spellcasting track for a racial track. Possibly cap the racial track at whatever circle you used to transform.

Anyway, what about disguise (and persuasion)? Would they be balanced to port directly over?

Mystify
2013-04-09, 10:36 PM
That... Might work. Trade the spellcasting track for a racial track. Possibly cap the racial track at whatever circle you used to transform.

Anyway, what about disguise (and persuasion)? Would they be balanced to port directly over?

That doesn't really fit into Legend's balance paradigm. You would have access to spellcasting, AND access to at least one racial track. If if you can only utilize one at a given time, this is still a huge power boost.
There is homebrew (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,156.0.html) for shapeshifters, which does fit with Legend's design paradigm. Basically, you have a track that gives you shapeshifting abilities.

For disguise, I'd just use larceny vs. awareness. Apply circumstance modifiers are you see fit.

Flickerdart
2013-04-09, 10:56 PM
Executing Polymorph in a game like Legend is difficult because of complete transparency between player and monster options (unless, for some reason, you want to turn into a mook). It used to be that you could have Guild Initiation as your Floating Feat, and thus "transform" between tracks like Celestial, Demon, or Dragon, but I don't know if that still exists.

As for disguising yourself, Senseshift Magus will do that for you, and True Mage offers an illusory disguise in one of its circles (I think 4th).

Larkas
2013-04-10, 06:07 AM
That doesn't really fit into Legend's balance paradigm. You would have access to spellcasting, AND access to at least one racial track. If if you can only utilize one at a given time, this is still a huge power boost.
There is homebrew (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,156.0.html) for shapeshifters, which does fit with Legend's design paradigm. Basically, you have a track that gives you shapeshifting abilities.

For disguise, I'd just use larceny vs. awareness. Apply circumstance modifiers are you see fit.

I kept thinking that after I posted. It is a power boost, no doubts about it, and something that doesn't fit seamlessly into Legend. I still haven't checked the link you posted, being in a crappy phone browser and all, but what would you think about a track whose only power is being exchanged for, or turning into, a racial track for a limited time?

Mystify
2013-04-10, 08:38 AM
I kept thinking that after I posted. It is a power boost, no doubts about it, and something that doesn't fit seamlessly into Legend. I still haven't checked the link you posted, being in a crappy phone browser and all, but what would you think about a track whose only power is being exchanged for, or turning into, a racial track for a limited time?

Why not just take the racial track, and fluff it as a transformation at the start of combat?
You could also try homebrewing a modification to the skinjob feat, letting people take it with any track. Now you are a dragon or a vampire or whatever that looks like a human, has a bonus to larceny checks to disguise that nature, and can reveal their form in the beginning of combat. This is better than the first option if you feel you need a mechanical benefit for being able to transform, otherwise just fluff it as you want.