PDA

View Full Version : Nigh immunity to damage?

Immabozo
2013-04-09, 09:33 PM
So regeneration changes all damage into non-lethal except for the stated damage types. So I made a druid that changes into things with regen/cold and acid, but buffs give him immunity to cold and items give acid resist 60. Is it possible to get immunity to non-lethal damage?

Is it also possible to be unable to die from aging? Or, is it possible to be undead and a druid and shift into living things? Doesn't seem very druid-ly, though.

EDIT: outside epic spellcasting

Karnith
2013-04-09, 09:38 PM
I believe that Favor of the Martyr (a 4th-level Paladin spell in Spell Compendium) is the usual way to become immune to nonlethal damage, because of all the things the spell gives you. I'm sure there are other ways, though.

Arcanist
2013-04-09, 09:46 PM
I believe that Favor of the Martyr (a 4th-level Paladin spell in Spell Compendium) is the usual way to become immune to nonlethal damage, because of all the things the spell gives you. I'm sure there are other ways, though.

Is there a way to become immune to normal damage and only be vulnerable to nonlethal? :smallwink:

JaronK
2013-04-09, 09:47 PM
One easy way to become immune to nearly anything is to be a Learnean Lumi. ECL 10, but the only thing that can kill you is a disintegrate spell. Absolutely nothing else can do it.

JaronK

Immabozo
2013-04-09, 09:53 PM
hmmm, I'll have to check out all of the above, thanks

Karnith
2013-04-09, 09:55 PM
Is there a way to become immune to normal damage and only be vulnerable to nonlethal? :smallwink:
Half-black dragon human with the troll-blooded feat and the spell Mantle of the Fiery Spirit cast on it (or some other way of getting the Fire subtype)?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-09, 10:04 PM
There was an official ruling from WotC that if a creature has both regeneration and immunity to nonlethal damage, then its regeneration ability is simply no longer capable of converting lethal damage to nonlethal damage, and any damage they take remains as lethal damage.

Yogibear41
2013-04-09, 10:06 PM
There is a prestige class that is probably designed for monks in Frostburn that makes you stop aging at its 10th level.

Cloud Anchorite I believe is the name

TuggyNE
2013-04-09, 10:10 PM
There was an official ruling from WotC that if a creature has both regeneration and immunity to nonlethal damage, then its regeneration ability is simply no longer capable of converting lethal damage to nonlethal damage, and any damage they take remains as lethal damage.

Really? All I know of is the general rule that Con - creatures can't have Regeneration, which was obviously intended to do that, but didn't. I would, however, be much interested in any actual fix they released for this problem.

Arcanist
2013-04-09, 10:21 PM

I'm actually curious where this was listed. :smallconfused:

No disbelief, just a little surprised that WoTC, at one point, had their **** together.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-09, 11:13 PM
It was in the same section of Ask Wizards that contained their confirmation that a Sorcerer with Extend Spell and Versatile Spellcaster could spend two of his highest level spell slots to cast an Extended version of one of his highest level spells known. There were quite a few others in with those, most of the Ask Wizards (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/askwiz) questions and answers are still up but quite a few were tossed away carelessly. (Check out post fifteen right here (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19568886/?pg=last).) Some remember this differently (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/28080465/need__this_guy_made_up_for_an_epic_campaign.) (post #7), though I'm guessing they had multiple answers addressing all sorts of Regeneration shenanigans.

Arcanist
2013-04-10, 12:01 AM
It was in the same section of Ask Wizards that contained their confirmation that a Sorcerer with Extend Spell and Versatile Spellcaster could spend two of his highest level spell slots to cast an Extended version of one of his highest level spells known. There were quite a few others in with those, most of the Ask Wizards (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/askwiz) questions and answers are still up but quite a few were tossed away carelessly. (Check out post fifteen right here (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19568886/?pg=last).) Some remember this differently (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/28080465/need__this_guy_made_up_for_an_epic_campaign.) (post #7), though I'm guessing they had multiple answers addressing all sorts of Regeneration shenanigans.

Thus I have a quest... :smallamused:

panaikhan
2013-04-10, 07:35 AM
I know that Warforged Juggernauts can be immune to non-lethal damage, but I am not sure how to get them to Regenerate. They do have a Con score.

Immabozo
2013-04-10, 04:59 PM

Damn :smallfrown:

back to the drawing boards for stupid shenanigans!

CIDE
2013-04-10, 06:32 PM
I know that Warforged Juggernauts can be immune to non-lethal damage, but I am not sure how to get them to Regenerate. They do have a Con score.

Troll blooded feat. Regen 1 in exchange for fatigue in sunlight and I think one other feat prereq both at first level.

Karnith
2013-04-10, 06:34 PM
Troll blooded feat. Regen 1 in exchange for fatigue in sunlight and I think one other feat prereq both at first level.
The prereq feat for Troll Blooded is Toughness, which is always what you want to be taking at level 1.

dascarletm
2013-04-10, 07:01 PM
The prereq feat for Troll Blooded is Toughness, which is always what you want to be taking at level 1.

It does hold the most weight at level 1 than any other level.....

Karnith
2013-04-10, 07:04 PM
It does hold the most weight at level 1 than any other level.....
And it's still terrible and not worth it at first level (except as a pre-req, I suppose), particularly if you ever plan on leveling up.

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-11, 02:37 PM
Half red dragon / half black dragon warforged charger warforged juggernaut with toughness and troll-blooded can make this happen.

You also happen to have silly amounts of strength.

And a ton of LA and levels, but meh.

Immabozo
2013-04-11, 04:23 PM
Half red dragon / half black dragon warforged charger warforged juggernaut with toughness and troll-blooded can make this happen.

You also happen to have silly amounts of strength.

And a ton of LA and levels, but meh.

But low HD is barely a concern when nigh immune to damage

CIDE
2013-04-11, 05:33 PM

Regen 1 at the cost of 2 feats--even one of them ****ty--is still awesome.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-04-11, 05:54 PM
There are many ways to get immunity to physical damage.

Go look up the Emerald Legion. It's a study in making something immune to pretty much 'Yes'.

There was also a cute little spell combination... some spell that prevented you from dying at -10, then persisting it.

Easiest is War Troll + Half Black Dragon. Unlike a regular troll, a War Troll's immunity is only bypassed by Acid. This is strictly better than using Half Red Dragon due to metamagic feats such as Searing Spell to bypass immunity, so it's best to simply not have it be a vulnerability in the first place. Fortunately, there is no such metamagic spell for the Acid type.

Aegis013
2013-04-11, 06:04 PM
If the regeneration and immunity to non-lethal thing doesn't work then this won't, but you can use the Bone Knight PrC from Eberron's Five Nations book to gain immunity to non-lethal.

Immabozo
2013-04-11, 07:20 PM
There are many ways to get immunity to physical damage.

Go look up the Emerald Legion. It's a study in making something immune to pretty much 'Yes'.

There was also a cute little spell combination... some spell that prevented you from dying at -10, then persisting it.

Easiest is War Troll + Half Black Dragon. Unlike a regular troll, a War Troll's immunity is only bypassed by Acid. This is strictly better than using Half Red Dragon due to metamagic feats such as Searing Spell to bypass immunity, so it's best to simply not have it be a vulnerability in the first place. Fortunately, there is no such metamagic spell for the Acid type.

True, but war trolls come at such a HUGE cost! LA infinite and RHD too many!

If the regeneration and immunity to non-lethal thing doesn't work then this won't, but you can use the Bone Knight PrC from Eberron's 5 Kingdoms book to gain immunity to non-lethal.

True, but thank you, I'll check it out

ksbsnowowl
2013-04-11, 07:51 PM
If the regeneration and immunity to non-lethal thing doesn't work then this won't, but you can use the Bone Knight PrC from Eberron's 5 Kingdoms book to gain immunity to non-lethal.

The book is Five Nations, not Five Kingdoms.

kardar233
2013-04-11, 07:58 PM
Bone Knight also gets you essentially the full suite of Undead immunities (except immunity to Fort saves that don't work on objects) without changing your type, so you still are healed by Cure spells and can't be Turned or Rebuked. Quite handy.

Also makes me wonder if a Cleric of Zarus could Turn Demihumans/Rebuke Humans.

Zeb
2013-04-11, 09:04 PM
Note that as a regional feat specific to Greyhawk troll blooded isn't usually available for warforged.

Darius Kane
2013-04-11, 09:13 PM
My character is/was a war troll/half-green dragon. Unarmed Fighter archetype gave him immunity to non-lethal. Fun character to play.

Aegis013
2013-04-11, 09:26 PM
The book is Five Nations, not Five Kingdoms.

Thanks for the correction, I appreciate it, and will edit the previous post to be correct.

Arcanist
2013-04-11, 10:05 PM
Also makes me wonder if a Cleric of Zarus could Turn Demihumans/Rebuke Humans.

I'd allow this. I'd allow this so hard :smallamused:

CIDE
2013-04-11, 11:45 PM
Note that as a regional feat specific to Greyhawk troll blooded isn't usually available for warforged.

I generally forget that since any game I play in is either a homebrew universe/world or the DM's just don't give no f@#$!@#! about regional stuff unless it's something really big like dragons in Eberron.

Immabozo
2013-04-12, 12:51 AM
I generally forget that since any game I play in is either a homebrew universe/world or the DM's just don't give no f@#$!@#! about regional stuff unless it's something really big like dragons in Eberron.

There are no dragons in Eberron?

TuggyNE
2013-04-12, 02:05 AM

There are lots of dragons in Eberron. There aren't any half-dragons, because the dragons are Not Happy with that kind of tomfoolery.

Immabozo
2013-04-12, 02:35 AM
There are lots of dragons in Eberron. There aren't any half-dragons, because the dragons are Not Happy with that kind of tomfoolery.

ah, ok, thanks

ksbsnowowl
2013-04-12, 09:02 AM

Also, most of the dragons are on a continent other that the main one described in the campaign setting. Any that are there are generally incognito, and wouldn't be recognized as such.

Immabozo
2013-04-12, 12:07 PM
Also, most of the dragons are on a continent other that the main one described in the campaign setting. Any that are there are generally incognito, and wouldn't be recognized as such.

ah, ok. Interesting. Is there an explained reason for this?

ksbsnowowl
2013-04-12, 01:42 PM
ah, ok. Interesting. Is there an explained reason for this?

The dragons have some type of prophecy about the future. They mostly work on understanding that prophecy and watching it unfold in the world. They have particular interest in the Dragonmarked Houses, as the dragonmarks (they believe) have something to do with the prophecy. I forget specifics though.

Immabozo
2013-04-12, 02:09 PM
The dragons have some type of prophecy about the future. They mostly work on understanding that prophecy and watching it unfold in the world. They have particular interest in the Dragonmarked Houses, as the dragonmarks (they believe) have something to do with the prophecy. I forget specifics though.

Is this like a "This continent will explode in a massive fireball/the zombie apocalypse" or a "hide away in our ivory towers to study it" prophecy?

TuggyNE
2013-04-12, 06:36 PM
Is this like a "This continent will explode in a massive fireball/the zombie apocalypse" or a "hide away in our ivory towers to study it" prophecy?

More the latter, but because the Draconic Prophecy is remarkably detailed and complicated, not to mention rather ambiguous and confusing, there's a lot of study and preparation they can do.

Millennia worth, in fact.

Immabozo
2013-04-12, 06:55 PM
More the latter, but because the Draconic Prophecy is remarkably detailed and complicated, not to mention rather ambiguous and confusing, there's a lot of study and preparation they can do.

Millennia worth, in fact.

I see, and is this a well know prophecy, or the dragon's secret?

Karnith
2013-04-12, 06:58 PM
I see, and is this a well know prophecy, or the dragon's secret?
The Draconic Prophecy is pretty nebulous (in real world terms) as to what it means, and in-game is generally only understood in any significant manner by the dragons and other ancient beings (i.e. not the players). Other races on Eberron know about it, but they generally only get access to tiny, insignificant pieces of it. See e.g. here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20041227a) or Dragon Magazine #359 for some more details about the Draconic Prophecy and how it's meant to be used (also, I'm sure some Eberron books detail it).

Immabozo
2013-04-12, 07:20 PM
The Draconic Prophecy is pretty nebulous (in real world terms) as to what it means, and in-game is generally only understood in any significant manner by the dragons and other ancient beings (i.e. not the players). Other races on Eberron know about it, but they generally only get access to tiny, insignificant pieces of it. See e.g. here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20041227a) or Dragon Magazine #359 for some more details about the Draconic Prophecy and how it's meant to be used (also, I'm sure some Eberron books detail it).

So, basically, its a big nebulous plot hook for any number of campaigns and variations thereof?

Karnith
2013-04-12, 07:29 PM
So, basically, its a big nebulous plot hook for any number of campaigns and variations thereof?
Yeah, pretty much. Though it is an interesting and quite well-done open-ended plot hook, in my opinion.

Immabozo
2013-04-12, 08:16 PM
Yeah, pretty much. Though it is an interesting and quite well-done open-ended plot hook, in my opinion.

I whole heartedly agree!

Arcanist
2013-04-12, 08:49 PM
I whole heartedly agree!

Same with the cause behind the Mourning. One of my favorite theories is that the Mourning was caused by one of the House Cannith's Artificers accidentally activating an old Xen'drik artifact. It would explain Cannith South's obsession with Xen'drik and the Mournlands (beyond obviously to take old artifice from their destroyed foundries).

Immabozo
2013-04-13, 03:34 PM
Same with the cause behind the Mourning. One of my favorite theories is that the Mourning was caused by one of the House Cannith's Artificers accidentally activating an old Xen'drik artifact. It would explain Cannith South's obsession with Xen'drik and the Mournlands (beyond obviously to take old artifice from their destroyed foundries).

Although I always homebrew the settings I play in, I gotta admit, WotC came up with a few pretty good settings

Karnith
2013-04-13, 03:41 PM
Although I always homebrew the settings I play in, I gotta admit, WotC came up with a few pretty good settings
If by "WotC," you mean "Keith Baker," then yeah. Baker created the setting as part of a contest in 2002 as part of the Fantasy Setting Search contest, and as a prize for winning Wizards turned it into an official, published campaign setting. Obviously I can't tell you how much of it was him and how much of it came from the other people who worked on it with him/since, but the idea didn't come from WotC.

Interestingly, Rich Burlew was also a finalist in the contest.

Immabozo
2013-04-14, 05:20 AM
If by "WotC," you mean "Keith Baker," then yeah. Baker created the setting as part of a contest in 2002 as part of the Fantasy Setting Search contest, and as a prize for winning Wizards turned it into an official, published campaign setting. Obviously I can't tell you how much of it was him and how much of it came from the other people who worked on it with him/since, but the idea didn't come from WotC.

Interestingly, Rich Burlew was also a finalist in the contest.

Oh, cool. Well, yeah, I guess that, haha