PDA

View Full Version : Clericzilla: What spells to choose?

Lhurgyof
2013-04-09, 11:04 PM
I'm a DMM: Persist cleric and I gotta know, what spells will give me the most bang for my buck of each level? I'm currently level 6 and can persist 3 spells a day.

I would like to buff my team mates and myself, but my team is more important right now. What are some suggestions (Or ways to add ridiculous spells to my spell list, like haste and such)?

HunterOfJello
2013-04-09, 11:37 PM
List of Persistable Divine Spells up to 6th Level (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7260)

Check those out.

Urpriest
2013-04-09, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't bother adding Haste (unless you can do it while adding a bunch of other awesome stuff, like with the Time domain). Next level you'll get Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, which is Haste+.

Unless your party is already good for out of combat healing, Mass Lesser Vigor should probably be one of your slots.

Edit: Ice Axe is pretty good for making you a more potent combatant.

Kristinn
2013-04-10, 02:10 AM
My favourites by spell level.

Lvl.1 Divine Favor: +1/3 lvls. luck Attack,Damage (max +3).
Lvl.2 Cloud of Knives: Free ranged attack 1d6+1/three caster lvl.
Elation: Me,allies +2 morale Str/Dex, speed increased by 5 ft.
Divine Protection: Me,allies +1 morale AC/saving throws.
Lvl.3 Darkfire: Touch attack 1d4+1/two caster lvls.
Mass lesser vigor: Fast Heal 1 20ft radius
Ring of Blades: Beginning of my turn, deal 1d6+1/caster lvl to adjacent enemies
Divine Retaliation: Retaliate melee dmg with atk., +CL+Str/Wis, 1d8+1.5*Str/Wis dmg
Lvl.4 Divine Power: Get full BAB, +6 enhanc. Str, +1/lvl temp HP
Lesser Holy Transformation: +2 sacred Str/Con/saves, 60 fly (good), darkv. 60
Recitation: Me (allies) +3 (+2) Luck Attack, Saving throws.
Freedom of Movement: Freedom of movement.
Lvl.5 Righteous Wrath of the Faithful: Me,allies +3 morale melee attack/damage, extra attack
Righteous Might: Turn Large, +4/+2 size Str/Con, +2 enh.nat.AC, DR 3/6/9/evil
Surge of Fortune: Me +2 Luck Attack, Damage, Saving throws, checks, AC.
Lvl.6 Visage of the Diety
Lvl.7 Mass Spell Resistance, Holy Star
Lvl.8 Brilliant Aura, Holy Aura

Ithandor
2013-04-10, 08:08 AM
Kristinn's list is pretty good. I also like Channelled Divine Shield (PHBII, lvl 3) - DR 10/evil at your level is nothing to sniff at, and it remains fairly potent for many levels. Blessed Aim is also good at low levels if a lot of your party rely on ranged attacks, though it is surpassed by Recitation/Righteous Wrath.

Zjordan85
2013-04-10, 08:55 AM
Seconding Ice Axe, Channeled Divine Shield and Mass Lesser Vigor, at level 5 it's a pretty solid combo.

My current (PF with 3.5 allowed) Cleric Zilla is level 12 and still uses Ice Axe. When you can, buying a block or two of Incense of Meditation (4900gp) is worthwhile. Use it when you prepare spells one day, and it maximizes all those spells for free. Now your persisted Ice Axe deals 24 +1/2 CL on a touch!
Coupled with Divine Power and Haste from our Arcane caster, you're dealing damage in the 90 - 120 range depending on resistances.

Lhurgyof
2013-04-10, 04:03 PM
Awesome ideas, guys.

I have the Time domain and Planning domain, so my persisted spells are probably going to be:

Mass Lesser Vigor

Haste Elation

Ice Axe

Unfortunately, I can only persist those at sixth level.

More ideas for higher levels would also help. The Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is nice, but they have to worship the same god as me? What if I'm a cleric of a cause?

Edit: I may just take the Undeath Domain instead of the Time domain. I was hoping that you could persist time stop, but I guess you can't.

Haste is cool, but unnecessary with the Righteous Wrath.

Kristinn
2013-04-10, 10:12 PM
Haste has a variable range, so RAW it can't be persisted.

Also, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is a bit confusing, since the spell in Complete Divine (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-divine--56/righteous-wrath-of-the-faithful--686/) is different from the one in Spell Compendium (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/righteous-wrath-faithful--3793/). The one in CDiv is level 7, and only gives the extra attack to followers of your god. However, the one in SC is level 5, and gives the extra attack to everyone (but no temp HP).

So when you hit level 9 go with the one from SC and never look back, couple it with Divine Power and Mass Lesser Vigor and you'll have all your spells available for Battlefield control/Buffing/Debuffing (you should almost never heal in-combat), and at the same time be a competent at melee.

Edit: Try to get enough turn attempts to also persist Lesser Holy Transformation. +2 Sacred bonus to Strength and Constitution will probably stack with all other effects, +2 Sacred to all Saves is awesome, and darkvision is very handy if you're human. Best of of all is 60 fly speed with good manuevarability. Persistent fly speed is not to be underestimated, and is fun to combine with a reach weapon (long spear if you don't have martial weapon proficiencies).

DarthCyberWolf
2013-04-10, 10:56 PM
A couple of party support spells that you can use that don't have to be persisted: Status and Mass Conviction.

Status (PHB) is 2nd level and lasts 1 hour/level. It lets you know where your party members are at all times and their condition, regardless of distance. The downside is that one casting only affects one person per 3 caster levels.
Mass Conviction (SC) is gold. Lasts 10 minutes/level (an hour at your current level, should be long enough). Provides +2 morale bonus on saves, with an extra +1 for every six caster levels.

Lhurgyof
2013-04-11, 02:21 PM
Haste has a variable range, so RAW it can't be persisted.

Also, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is a bit confusing, since the spell in Complete Divine (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-divine--56/righteous-wrath-of-the-faithful--686/) is different from the one in Spell Compendium (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/righteous-wrath-faithful--3793/). The one in CDiv is level 7, and only gives the extra attack to followers of your god. However, the one in SC is level 5, and gives the extra attack to everyone (but no temp HP).

So when you hit level 9 go with the one from SC and never look back, couple it with Divine Power and Mass Lesser Vigor and you'll have all your spells available for Battlefield control/Buffing/Debuffing (you should almost never heal in-combat), and at the same time be a competent at melee.

Edit: Try to get enough turn attempts to also persist Lesser Holy Transformation. +2 Sacred bonus to Strength and Constitution will probably stack with all other effects, +2 Sacred to all Saves is awesome, and darkvision is very handy if you're human. Best of of all is 60 fly speed with good manuevarability. Persistent fly speed is not to be underestimated, and is fun to combine with a reach weapon (long spear if you don't have martial weapon proficiencies).

You can't persist Haste? Aww, shucks. Currently, even if I start out with 18 Cha, I can only get up to 24 turn attempts, 4 shy of another persist.