PDA

View Full Version : Character too Optimized.

followthedarke
2013-04-10, 08:11 AM
Hey, I have a NG cleric of Lathander. she's a wood elf with 6 levels Cleric and 5 levels of Radiant servant of Lathander
(Originally the class is radiant servant of Pelor, but can be used in any god with the sun domain)
I now have the problem that my healing spells are too powerful to do anything more than moderate on the party because of their lowish HP.
I had planned on continuing with the RSOL class but next it comes with maximize healing, which will mean I won't be able to use moderate heals anymore or ever heal NPC's.

Is there a way to lessen the amount of healing you do?
What class should I branch into, while I wait for the party to catch up so I can heal them again?

IdleMuse
2013-04-10, 08:41 AM
I think you're looking at this the wrong way around. Rather than making your higher-level spells worse, so they're used to full potential, as it were, you shouldinstead be happy that you don't need high level slots to do healing any more! You can now prepare other spells in those slots.

mucco
2013-04-10, 08:44 AM
Hey, I have a NG cleric of Lathander. she's a wood elf with 6 levels Cleric and 5 levels of Radiant servant of Lathander
(Originally the class is radiant servant of Pelor, but can be used in any god with the sun domain)
I now have the problem that my healing spells are too powerful to do anything more than moderate on the party because of their lowish HP.
I had planned on continuing with the RSOL class but next it comes with maximize healing, which will mean I won't be able to use moderate heals anymore or ever heal NPC's.

What class should I branch into, while I wait for the party to catch up so I can heal them again?

Double check the RSOP healing, because the free metamagic only applies to your domain slots.

Andezzar
2013-04-10, 08:48 AM
A cleric is not (only) a healbot. A cleric can do much more than that. As IdleMuse already suggested, just use the high level slots for really useful spells like battlefield control, buffing and debuffing. Every round you heal in combat you are not preventing further damage from you or your companions. Just get rid of the opposition first and spontaneously convert some of the remaining spells to Cure X spells if necessary afterwards.

BWR
2013-04-10, 09:20 AM
And here I just assumed it was a joke posting.

Zubrowka74
2013-04-10, 10:03 AM
And you can still harm undeads with you healing, right ?

followthedarke
2013-04-10, 10:14 AM
This was not a joke.

I understand that it's awesome, only having to use Level one spells to heal and keeping my higher level stuff for things like downdraft and Plane shift and things like that but I am now running into the problem where the DM is forcing me to heal NPC's and they end up dying and he keeps forcing my alignment down which is a serious issue when one of your domain's is good.

Our DM is a bit of a dictator and we've been having a lot of issues with him, he is punishing my character for having high hit points healing and immunities. I was just asking what prestige class to dabble in while I wait for people's HP's to get higher.

laeZ1
2013-04-10, 10:14 AM
Grab three levels of assassin, then go into mystic theurge for the final 6 levels. Say goodbye to your optimization.:smallbiggrin:

Don't talk to me about alignment restrictions on Assassin!

BWR
2013-04-10, 10:21 AM
Sounds like the problem is your DM, not your class. If he's punishing you for being good at something he should either have banned RSoP from the start or nerfed it. But forcing you to heal NPCs and then killing them to punish you is really uncalled for. Take it up with him.

But as pointed out, the super healing only applies to Cure spells from your Domain slots, not every Cure. That's five spells. This should put your healing abilities back to normal (unless you have Domain Spontaneity, which is totally worth it)

eggynack
2013-04-10, 12:25 PM
I'm actually at a bit of a loss as to what the exact problem is, apart from your DM being a bit of a jerk face. NPC's get damaged, so your DM forces you to heal them against your will for some reason, or you'll drop down in alignment. That makes some kind of sense, I suppose. Now, with your fancy super healing, your healing is charged to a high level. So, you shoot your healing at the NPC's by the DM's dictate, but you can't because the healing is too powerful? I'm just at a bit of a loss on this. Your healing isn't going to cause characters to explode as if they were on the positive energy plane. You can just heal them excessively. The only other potential issue I can see is that your healing is so powerful that you don't want to spend it on NPC's, but in that case regulating your healing down wouldn't actually help. It would just make you feel better about your actions. You should really just talk to your DM about this. If NPC's are injured, and you heal them, and your DM kills them, I don't see where an alignment change would come in.

tensai_oni
2013-04-10, 12:30 PM
DM is forcing me to heal NPC's and they end up dying and he keeps forcing my alignment down which is a serious issue when one of your domain's is good.

What.

Our DM is a bit of a dictator and we've been having a lot of issues with him, he is punishing my character for having high hit points healing and immunities.

What #2.

I'll agree with others. This is not Character Too Optimized, this is DM Too Much of a Jerk.

Drop the game, and take as many other players with you as possible.

Sidmen
2013-04-10, 12:32 PM
For the real problem: make a wand of Cure Light Wounds. When called upon to heal NPCs, use that to heal them and save your own spells for yourself.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-10, 12:40 PM
People here seem to be getting to quick to suggest 'remove your DM'.

Expecially since we may not know the whole story.

But I do agree this is not a too optimized issue, but the DM doing something dickish issue.

However, if he wants to argue alignment, just reply with logic.

Example:

DM: You have to heal the villager, their dying
You: I'm going to kill the ogre attacking the town instead
DM: No you won't, you're a good guy and will heal them
You (Logic): No, I'll attack the ogre. Why? Because if I don't, he'll just cut down the villagers again and they'll need to be healed again. Isn't it more good to stop what's hurting them and then heal them rather than let the thing keep hurting them causing them to suffer more?

Analogy: If you're a doctor and your patient has a growing infection. Are you going to kill the infection and stop the patients suffering, or keep pumping the patient with medicene while the infection is still hanging around causing harm?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-10, 12:41 PM
For the real problem: make a wand of Cure Light Wounds. When called upon to heal NPCs, use that to heal them and save your own spells for yourself.

Issue here being gold and/or EXP cost.

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-10, 12:42 PM
The DM didn't anticipate that a cleric 6/RSOP 5 might be extremely good at his job?

It takes all sorts.

You could tone it down a bit by next going into Morninglord of Lathander, which is slightly less of the accident and emergency ward that RSoP is, and how can your DM say no to that class anyway?

Downside (for him) is that undead are even more irrelevant to you if that's possible. What LaeZ1 said though, go assassin or Thrall of Juiblex or something if he doesn't like your stuff.

I am now running into the problem where the DM is forcing me to heal NPC's and they end up dying and he keeps forcing my alignment down which is a serious issue when one of your domain's is good.

Our DM is a bit of a dictator and we've been having a lot of issues with him, he is punishing my character for having high hit points healing and immunities. I was just asking what prestige class to dabble in while I wait for people's HP's to get higher.

Tensai-oni is spot on. 'What?'

He is aware that trying to get NPCs killed is all on him, right?

He sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing and you do.

What are the other party members and NPCs please? I'm going to guess they don't have the sort of elegant and effective characters that you do, but why are they so suicidal?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-10, 12:47 PM
Ok, assuming I mis-read this and he's forcing your alignment down for NPC deaths, may you save them or not.

No... just, no.

Are doctors more evil whenever a patient of theirs dies? No.
Is a parent evil if their child is taken and killed by a freak? No.
Are firefighters evil if they can't get to somebody and they die in the fire? No.
Does a general or officer become more evil each time one of his own men get's shot? No.

If this is the case, your DM does need to learn that just because you couldn't do something it doesn't mean you didn't try or care so your alignment shouldn't suffer for it.

Sidmen
2013-04-10, 01:01 PM
Issue here being gold and/or EXP cost.

Fellow is level 11, a cheap lvl 1 wand shouldn't break the bank.

Andezzar
2013-04-10, 01:48 PM
Fellow is level 11, a cheap lvl 1 wand shouldn't break the bank.Shouldn't is the important word here. Given the strange things the OP has told us about the DM's behavior, we cannot assume that there is sufficient money in the bank

Glimbur
2013-04-10, 04:26 PM
So, the problem is that NPC's around you are taking damage. Sometimes even dying. Because you are a cleric, the DM feels that you are required to cast healing spells on them. Otherwise, alignment problems.

You've received a lot of 'what is going on' and some good advice. I'll offer a different idea: if the NPC's are not around you then you can't be faulted for not healing them. You could phrase it as "It's too dangerous for you" or something similar. I can't promise it will work, but it's worth considering.

Lord Haart
2013-04-10, 04:40 PM
Is it me or is the problem here not "People around me keep dying despite my healing spells definitely being powerful enough and my alignment goes down as a result" but "People around me keep dying because on this table a healing spell that cures more than victim's hp somehow damages/kills the victim"? Please say it's just me. Still, if not, topicstarter has two options: a) prove that this rule applies to Positive Energy Plane and Positive Energy Plane only, not to any kind of healing/magical positive energy, and/or b) use his high-level spell slots to cast lower-level healing spells.

ericgrau
2013-04-10, 04:43 PM
You could use mass cure light wounds and MCMW so you do less healing but it hits the whole party at once. Empowered it does (1d8+11)*1.5~=23. With augment healing that's (1d8+21)*1.5~=38. Bam everyone's healed. And when you are fighting undead you can annihilate them and heal the party in the same round.

Shield other, and imbue spell ability + shield other to give it to an ally can help redistribute damage. That way no single person takes enough damage to knock them out and your mass cures have more targets to heal. You effectively double the hp of 2 front-liners (since they take half) then heal everyone to full most rounds. It's rather disgusting.

Give the other shield other to a back-liner with ok hp. Extend spell and enlarge spell, or the rods that do the same, can be helpful with shield other. That way you cast it in the morning and don't waste combat time.

eggynack
2013-04-10, 04:49 PM
It's possible that the OP is suffering from the Superman problem. If he were just an ordinary guy, being mediocre at healing, he would be fine. With his perfect ultimate healing ability though, his healing is so powerful that if anyone in the world dies, it's his fault. This cleric is a tragic hero, really. He's doomed to be consumed by guilt for all of the people he failed to save. The DM in this case is being perfectly reasonable, because the guilt drives him toward evil. If he can't save everyone now, then he'll take the whole world over, and create a new world free of death. He'll do it by any means necessary.

Juntao112
2013-04-10, 04:55 PM
Embrace the Dark Side. Cast Greater Consumptive Field.

Krobar
2013-04-10, 05:07 PM
Embrace evil, just don't tell the DM about it first. Kill the whole party and all the NPCs and say "I dedicate all of these souls to Asmodeus." When everyone is in an uproar, say "I couldn't take the guilt anymore. I turn my back on everything good, I forsake all that is holy, and embrace the one truth: death."

Keld Denar
2013-04-10, 05:20 PM
RSoP5 is actually a good jumping out point, FWIW. RSoP6 gets Maximized Healing, but since healing is often more dependent on the +CL portion than the +Xd8 portion, Empower TENDS to be a better deal on everything other than Cure Critical, and ESPECIALLY on Mass Cure Light, and even more so with Augmented Healing. RSoP 7 is dead, 8 is pretty worthless, 9 is dead, and 10 gives you back what you lost, plus a tiny bit extra, which is not worth it.

Quit taking RSoP levels and hop into something like Contemplative or Sacred Exorcist. Being so awesome that the ground you walk on is always consecrated is pretty epic.

Nettlekid
2013-04-10, 05:54 PM
I still don't understand the issue with the NPCs dying. Is it that your DM is telling you to heal them, you say no because you want to save your slots, and so he's calling you not-Good? Or is it that you heal them, they get hurt more, they eventually get killed, and he's knocking you down for being bad at your job/unprotective? Either way that's seriously lame.
In the first scenario, grab the reserve feat Touch of Healing. That way you can heal with a single touch 3*Spell Level of your highest healing spell, provided they're below half health. You can do that all day, and never have to worry about your slots. So if you have a town of sickly people all bleeding out or something, just keep tapping them.
In the second scenario, try a few levels of Combat Medic. It's certainly unoptimized if you're worried about that (though it sounds like you shouldn't be) and it's able to add protective effects like Sanctuary and temporary hit points to anyone you heal, so if you have to keep some weak townsfolk safe it's a good way to go.

JusticeZero
2013-04-10, 06:14 PM
I see no damns given in the description of the Good domain about your alignment. So, my usual solution to alignment issues should hold. That is, just keep playing your character as normal. If the GM tells you to change your alignment, then shrug, write what they say, and continue playing your character exactly like you were before. 'You're now Caotic Evil!' 'OK. Like I was saying, I'm going to donate to the orphanage, right after I rescue this puppy.' Alignments just tell how certain extraplanar stuff reacts, there is no shame in having something odd there. They dont affect your behavior.

dascarletm
2013-04-10, 06:16 PM
I see no damns given in the description of the Good domain about your alignment. So, my usual solution to alignment issues should hold. That is, just keep playing your character as normal. If the GM tells you to change your alignment, then shrug, write what they say, and continue playing your character exactly like you were before. 'You're now Caotic Evil!' 'OK. Like I was saying, I'm going to donate to the orphanage, right after I rescue this puppy.' Alignments just tell how certain extraplanar stuff reacts, there is no shame in having something odd there. They dont affect your behavior.

He may have to change deity though, one that doesn't have the good domain. Maybe he might also lose out on his RSoP abilities.

Aliek
2013-04-10, 06:21 PM
Empower TENDS to be a better deal on everything other than Cure Critical,

Uh... Didn't empower spell only affect the variable numbers? So maximize is always better on average?

TuggyNE
2013-04-10, 06:38 PM

All but two of the spells in the Good domain are [good] spells, which cannot be cast by an Evil divine caster.

(Also, the other notes about deities requiring alignment within specific steps, RSoP presumably requiring Good, etc.)

Uh... Didn't empower spell only affect the variable numbers? So maximize is always better on average?

It's better if you get it for free, yes. Although the difference between (3d8)*1.5+15 and 39 is only 4 points average.

(Empower would be strictly better with a sufficiently small dice, but I don't think d2s are used very often.

JusticeZero
2013-04-10, 06:47 PM
If cure spells are ruled as killing people with overheal, start using them to kill uninjured ENEMIES.

dascarletm
2013-04-10, 06:51 PM
If cure spells are ruled as killing people with overheal, start using them to kill uninjured ENEMIES.

I imagine Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen poking bad guys and popping them.

eggynack
2013-04-10, 06:51 PM
That's just what they want you to think. Overhealing townsfolk causes them to explode. Overhealing enemies causes them to split in two. That's just the way of the world.

Nettlekid
2013-04-10, 06:55 PM
Actually you do have precedent for overhealing=explosion, from the Positive Energy Plane. But how a character can abuse that, well...I dunno. Unless you were a Lumi who cast Planar Bubble or something.

JusticeZero
2013-04-10, 07:01 PM
It is odd, but the cleric didn't set that precedent. Weaponize it HARD.

Bonus points if your GM comes on here to start a thread about how OP you are doing it.

ericgrau
2013-04-10, 08:59 PM
The best part is that it's save for half, so with some good heal pumping or two heals it's an auto kill.

Next part, DM nixes the rule or comes to complain. Then you can go back to healing normally.

followthedarke
2013-04-12, 09:13 PM
Oh, I've totally been weaponizing healing. A pryo-hydra went boom.
Also used mass heal to escape some formians. they were all like "gonna take you over, and my character exploded the entire party

The rule our DM is using is if you heal something for over half (ie. someone with HP 60 and you heal them to 90) they explode. Not usually a problem unless you're dealing with someone with like 3-6hp.

The DM also has it that the Empower works on all cure spells.

my issue with alignment is that I want to keep my current Deity, Lathander. can't if I drop too far.

If a NPC walks up to my character and begs for healing, if I refuse the DM tells me that is an evil action.

Gold cost for a wand isn't an issue, XP is annoying but not too bad, currently have 50K in GP's

I love the idea of the very ground I walk on being consecrated but 2 of the party members are evil and one is a half fiend.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-12, 09:28 PM
Now, the DM is saying that refusing to heal them, when you know it will kill them, is an evil act, because they ask for it. I could see why, at first, that might not make sense, but think about it in other situations. Like, say a peasant comes up to you with an itchy scalp and is all, "Bro, my scalp itches. Could you cut my head off?" and you refused. You just left him with an itchy scalp. You left your bro with an itchy ****ing scalp, that's Book of Vile Darkness stuff.

Obviously, the moral thing to do is just start popping peasants and, when the DM objects, point out, "Don't worry, he's in heaven now," with the sweetest smile you can manage. That will show him that your soul is pure and noble.

ericgrau
2013-04-12, 09:38 PM
Get a wand of cure minor wounds then, and heal 1 hp at a time. For groups there's a spell compendium spell called stabilize that does 1 hp in an area.

The spell status can give you a vague idea of how the NPC is feeling after each cure. After about 3 cures you can increase to the next step of curing if needed.

137beth
2013-04-12, 09:42 PM
Also used mass heal to escape some formians. they were all like "gonna take you over, and my character exploded the entire party

The rule our DM is using is if you heal something for over half (ie. someone with HP 60 and you heal them to 90) they explode. Not usually a problem unless you're dealing with someone with like 3-6hp.

my issue with alignment is that I want to keep my current Deity, Lathander. can't if I drop too far.

If a NPC walks up to my character and begs for healing, if I refuse the DM tells me that is an evil action.

Gold cost for a wand isn't an issue, XP is annoying but not too bad, currently have 50K in GP's

I love the idea of the very ground I walk on being consecrated but 2 of the party members are evil and one is a half fiend.
Yea, if your DM recognizes that healing can kill, and knows that you healing an innocent person would kill them, and you know that, and your character knows that, then healing them would be an evil act.

eggynack
2013-04-12, 10:03 PM

Wait, so you're saying that the ridiculous thing I said about excessive healing killing people was true? Why would excessive healing kill people? That doesn't even make sense outside of the positive energy plane, and there it allows a save. Either way, if you're healing in combat, then you're probably healing an ally, and won't kill them with one of your maximized spells. If you're healing out of combat, you don't need your special healing spells to do it. Pick up a wand of lesser vigor. Technically, the minor wounds option is better if you're just using the thing for npc healing, but lesser vigor is the most cost efficient healing wand there is. You might want to prepare cure minor wounds in all of your 0th slots.

In the meantime, you should probably just invest in working around this. I'd advise talking to your DM, but if you want maximum power then piles of extremely deadly spells is better than what can be taken away by the DM through jerk NPC's. Just tell your friends to lay back, and kill every enemy in the game through healing. I'm not sure how often you could just one-shot the enemy by shooting waves of healing at them, but it's probably a lot. I've also never really looked into healing optimization, because it's pretty weak generally, but your DM has basically made you crazy powerful, and is punishing you for how powerful you are.

In conclusion, that houserule is super dumb, and forcing you to heal people when it could easily kill them is so dumb that it's fundamentally difficult for me to write it out without feeling dumb by association. If your DM wants you to heal a line of NPC's, follow the letter of the law and heal them as little as possible. You might want to tell your DM how dumb this all is, because these are the kinds of problems that should be solved out of game. The answer isn't crippling your ability to do your main class feature, which is simultaneously capable of exploding monsters.

Raven777
2013-04-13, 12:08 AM
Why do I suddenly imagine OP's character as a reverse Pyro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I)?

Andezzar
2013-04-13, 12:34 AM
Just tell your GM that there normally is no killing from overhealing and ask him to play RAW:1. Healing Augmentation from RSoP only works on domain spells.
2. Overhealing can only kill on the Positive Energy plane

eggynack
2013-04-13, 12:47 AM
Another option to go with is to play into it. The NPC would say something like, "My wife's arm has been hurting a bit lately. Please launch your highest level healing spell at us at the greatest possible velocity." Then you say, "If you really want me to, I guess I will. However, if you are as weak as I think you are, using a healing spell on you could cause you to explode. Are you willing to risk that?" "I'd do anything if it would heal my wife's arm. She's been complaining about it for the last half hour." "OK. Maximized cure serious wounds of Pelor, go!" "Oh Pelor! My wife has exploded into tiny chunks! If only I had given greater consideration to the risks, she could have lived with her pain." And then you'd go into a corner and cry, surrounded by corpses with smiles on their faces. After you've exploded enough people, you could probably use it as a justification to stop exploding people.

strider24seven
2013-04-13, 01:16 AM

I recommend talking to your DM... if he thinks that healing from Cure Spells is a problem, you likely have deeper issues at your table.

I second the dark side option.

I also recommend a third option... get your party members some more hp. Personally I prescribe to the “Do not make yourself suck more, make others suck less” approach to party balance.

Fourth option... reroll as a Wizard and take levels in Incantatrix. Take ranks in UMD and buy a Healing Belt from the MIC and a few Eternal Wands of CLW. Stand by and do something to amuse yourself (reserve feats work well here, Summon Elemental being the cream of the crop) until your party gets in trouble, and then bail them out by soloing the encounter, and the next four or so if you are so inclined. And then heal them afterwards.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-13, 05:21 AM
If he doesn't agree with the mechanical protestations people have given, play the argument I gave as a serious charachter decision. Affect the softest, sweetest voice you can, put on the broadest smile that will fit your face, and then, every time someone explodes, tell the GM, "She's in heaven now," or "He's with his ancestors," or "It was Lathandar's will." Make sure to speak slowly, softly, happily, and with a big, bright smile. Preferably, stroke his hair a little to be sure he isn't upset. After all, you know they're in heaven, it's your duty to assuage the DM's worried mind. Kiss him on the forehead if he doesn't seem convinced. Whisper it into his ear. If he still seems perturbed, hold him and gently rock him until he is comforted. Go Children of the ****ing Corn on him.

Make him shudder.

Make him weep.

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-13, 05:57 AM
Another option to go with is to play into it. The NPC would say something like, "My wife's arm has been hurting a bit lately. Please launch your highest level healing spell at us at the greatest possible velocity." Then you say, "If you really want me to, I guess I will. However, if you are as weak as I think you are, using a healing spell on you could cause you to explode. Are you willing to risk that?" "I'd do anything if it would heal my wife's arm. She's been complaining about it for the last half hour." "OK. Maximized cure serious wounds of Pelor, go!" "Oh Pelor! My wife has exploded into tiny chunks! If only I had given greater consideration to the risks, she could have lived with her pain." And then you'd go into a corner and cry, surrounded by corpses with smiles on their faces. After you've exploded enough people, you could probably use it as a justification to stop exploding people.

Be this man. Make your DM read it and tell him to make the other PCs better if he doesn't like it.

Fenix_of_Doom
2013-04-13, 07:17 AM
If you still want to weaken your character, get some hierophant levels in there, divine reach is actually pretty useful, but the rest of the class is strickly worse then straight cleric.

followthedarke
2013-04-14, 08:52 PM
If he doesn't agree with the mechanical protestations people have given, play the argument I gave as a serious charachter decision. Affect the softest, sweetest voice you can, put on the broadest smile that will fit your face, and then, every time someone explodes, tell the GM, "She's in heaven now," or "He's with his ancestors," or "It was Lathandar's will." Make sure to speak slowly, softly, happily, and with a big, bright smile. Preferably, stroke his hair a little to be sure he isn't upset. After all, you know they're in heaven, it's your duty to assuage the DM's worried mind. Kiss him on the forehead if he doesn't seem convinced. Whisper it into his ear. If he still seems perturbed, hold him and gently rock him until he is comforted. Go Children of the ****ing Corn on him.

Make him shudder.

Make him weep.

THIS...

this is beautiful.
the DM would be even further creeped out considering he's a dude and I'm not and his gf plays with us as well.

TuggyNE
2013-04-14, 10:10 PM
THIS...

this is beautiful.
the DM would be even further creeped out considering he's a dude and I'm not and his gf plays with us as well.

… Just don't trigger a Lanky Bugger #3 repeat, OK? The Playground doesn't need that on our conscience.

ericgrau
2013-04-14, 10:32 PM
You can try to fight the DM, and then you'll remember that he controls the gaming universe and just changes it at whim. The worst I'd do is optimize the healing so much that you auto-kill most encounters. Then he might change the rule. If he still doesn't, I'd stop playing a healer, play something else with a wand of cure light wounds, and not worry about it unless the DM uses offensive healing against the party.

Arbane
2013-04-15, 12:00 AM

Isn't there a 0-level Cure Minor Wounds that heals exactly one point?

Get a few wands of that, they should be cheap.

There. Risk-free healing.

TuggyNE
2013-04-15, 12:19 AM
There. Risk-free healing.

I wouldn't go that far, there's no telling how dangerous it could get to fix people up. There's no such thing as "no risk" with houserules and fiat this strong.

Waspinator
2013-04-15, 12:29 AM
Wow, a DM actually thought the Positive Energy Plane exploding rule was a good enough idea to apply it to everyone? Hooray, now you can use a Heal spell to kill basically anything.

eggynack
2013-04-15, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't go that far, there's no telling how dangerous it could get to fix people up. There's no such thing as "no risk" with houserules and fiat this strong.
"I know what you're thinking. "Do I have two hit points left until I explode, or only one." Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a wand of cure minor wounds, the least powerful healing wand in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Arbane
2013-04-15, 12:39 AM
"I know what you're thinking. "Do I have two hit points left until I explode, or only one." Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a wand of cure minor wounds, the least powerful healing wand in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

I actually laughed out loud at that.

OP: Ask your idiot GM if trolls (the green, regenerating kind) spontaneously explode, and if not, why not?

Waspinator
2013-04-15, 12:42 AM
Trolls obviously stab themselves to stop exploding.

TuggyNE
2013-04-15, 01:51 AM
I actually laughed out loud at that.

Me too!

OP: Ask your idiot GM if trolls (the green, regenerating kind) spontaneously explode, and if not, why not?

"No, because only fire and acid can bypass their regeneration."

Also, anything with Fast Healing, like Mephits.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-15, 03:22 AM

If my computer breaks from the whiskey I just laughed out onto my keyboard, I am PMing you a bill, sirrah. :smallfurious:

:smallwink:

Near
2013-04-15, 03:30 AM
So, I've been lurking these forums for a long time now, and I have to say that I finally registered an account just to post here.

You sir, are amazing.

Waspinator
2013-04-15, 03:34 AM
This does seem like a rule designed to screw with people.

"Those peasants are hurt! You should heal them!"

"Ok, I cast Cure Light Wounds."

"The peasants explode! YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON!"

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-15, 03:43 AM
It's weird, you typed "does seem," and I'm pretty sure what you meant was "is."

I mean, seriously, though, that rule is really, really, terrible. I don't suggest creeping a DM out as a viable solution lightly, even when I'm as drunk as I was when I made that suggestion.

Also, I'm glad you liked it, followthedarke. :smallwink:

turbo164
2013-04-15, 08:51 AM
Sleeping heals you too. So people need to stab themselves every few days too. Babies sleep enough they probably need stabbed every other diaper change or so. It's just good parenting!

eggynack
2013-04-15, 11:23 AM
The more I think about this rule, the more I love it. It's stupid, and it's horribly broken, but it's broken in all the right ways. It's a rule that leads to trolls exploding spontaneously, and peasants stabbing themselves daily out of fear of the local misguided cleric. It's a rule that makes healing the best way to kill most enemies in the game, and it means that more often than not, enemies are going to die by healing explosions. It leads to clerics crying in the corner when they're trapped between hoping their ally stabilizes, or funneling their only remaining, high level, healing spell into them and hoping they don't explode. The thing this DM is doing with it, where NpC's not being exploded leads to evil marks, but the rule is still cool. Also, thanks ya guys. I'm full of the warm and fuzzies.

Arbane
2013-04-15, 11:27 AM
Sleeping heals you too. So people need to stab themselves every few days too. Babies sleep enough they probably need stabbed every other diaper change or so. It's just good parenting!

Huh. It turns out medieval surgeons were right after all - regular bleeding IS good for your health!

kme
2013-04-15, 12:11 PM
You can use Vigor line of spells (complete divine) if you want to avoid excessive healing.

Chained Birds
2013-04-15, 05:38 PM
You can use Vigor line of spells (complete divine) if you want to avoid excessive healing.

Who knows?! Maybe in this world, having a Vigor placed on you is like placing a Doom counter on someone. You've just got a few rounds to wish your relatives goodbye as the 1HP gain slowly ticks away at you until... Well, we've all heard the tales.

But seriously, I can imagine the situations where an NPC walks into a Cleric's place and asks for some heals for this broken leg of his. In response, to ensure the patient doesn't blow up from too much accidental healing, the Cleric breaks the NPC's other leg, and proceeds to beat him within a single HP away from death. Cleric then heals, and repeats this process until the desired amount of healing is made.
NPC goes home "happy" and "healthy", and vows to never get himself injured ever again! Or until the next night where he'll have to do his ritualistic arm stabbing to avoid death from Sleep Healing.

This is probably the best Darkest Setting ever!

Arbane
2013-04-15, 06:05 PM
Who knows?! Maybe in this world, having a Vigor placed on you is like placing a Doom counter on someone. You've just got a few rounds to wish your relatives goodbye as the 1HP gain slowly ticks away at you until... Well, we've all heard the tales.

:smallbiggrin:

"You are already dead."

http://api.ning.com/files/C9H-LgPRI-Oly51jj29OHDi0z04Io5hvgQNN5FL58fN6RM6MF4WSIlUjil3D dp4g9sNOT7ITv8gBCWVVEZmukQ__/PIC01.jpg

nedz
2013-04-15, 06:06 PM
Wow — a setting where the Healer is totally OP.

This rule used to be a thing in AD&D 1E, but only for the positive energy plane. Oh and you exploded at twice your HP.

Have you tried casting Death Ward. It's a level 4 cleric spell from the PH. There's a mass version in Libris Mortis — level 8 though.

You might need to do some spell research to cover the excess positive energy case, though in a world like this such a spell should exist. You can't be the first person to encounter this issue.