PDA

View Full Version : So, though exercise.

Metahuman1
2013-04-10, 10:32 AM
Ok, I've had an idea rattling around in the back of my head for awhile now, so I'm posting it hear in the hopes that some feedback will help me put it to rest for the time being.

The idea is of a small character who's very Knightly, has a thing for the company of ladies (Particularly of the Humanoid persuasion, though not necessarily strictly of his own species.), is good with his words, and will absolutely kick your butt in a fight, especially if he's mounted, which is his preferred combat style given an option.

Anyway, to get this though out of my system, here's a though exercise then. Small (Or farther down the size category table.) character, uses a mounted combat style, can make said style work most if not all the time. Good social skills, Knightly demeanor a big plus.

Bonus points if you can also make it do one or more of the following.

Not have to be fixated on finding new and improved magic weapons and armor (So, maybe something that has scaling weapon and armor built in?)

Not having to spend significant amounts of time/effort/money on mount replacements/upkeep. (I hate dealing with all the RP drudgery of taking care of in character pets. It's one of the reasons my Druids and Wizards usually forgo Animal Companions and Familiars and I basically never mess with mounted combat.)

High Cha (It's nice but not essential. )

Comes online as early as possible and stays relevant as long as possible.

And lastly, can funtion in lots of different kinds of environments so that it can actually adventure. (The other reason Mounted Combat doesn't generally appeal to me. I want to be able to contribute to a fight in the air, or on a ship, or in a building, or in a town street, or a dungeon. )

Thanks!

Amnestic
2013-04-10, 10:37 AM
Hmm. Knightly with a Cha focus? Crusader, definitely. No idea how they function as mounted combatants though.

I think there's a Binder vestige which comes with a free mount and lance? Can't recall.

Zubrowka74
2013-04-10, 10:47 AM
Somesort of halfling Weng Weng (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weng_Weng) knight ?

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-10, 12:10 PM
If you are using PF, you could try the Sylvan Sorcerer.

You get an animal companion (only 24 hours to replace, frankly)

If you are small - like a gnome which fits well - you can ride a wolf!

High cha - you are a sorcerer!

Different environments? You're a sorcerer!

Weapons and armour? Who cares, you're a sorcerer!

Plus you can fight mounted, because you are a sorcerer rather than a less good mounted warrior. Make yourself Lawful with some knightly code and ta dah!

hydraa
2013-04-10, 12:14 PM
Weapon -> Weapon of Leagacy
Mount -> skeletal horse or equine golem

Demidos
2013-04-10, 12:39 PM
Sorcadin or DMM Cleric with Wild Cohort feat.

Alternately, straight Paladin would fit your goal, if perhaps in not the most powerful sense. Although, you could go with a DMM Shadow Knight Whisper Gnome Paladin of Freedom with Sword of the Arcane order to arguably get persisted sorcerer/wizard spells, as well as hide in plain sight and other nice stuff, as well as still not being broken! Pick up a sudden stunning weapon and you should have a fairly to very powerful character depending on the spells you choose to persist (greater mirror image, wraith-strike, fell drain cloud of knives and so on).

Slipperychicken
2013-04-10, 12:47 PM
Hmm. Knightly with a Cha focus? Crusader, definitely. No idea how they function as mounted combatants though.

Crusaders get the White Raven charge maneuvers, which synergize nicely with mounted combat. Aside from that, you probably want Travel Devotion (maybe a Cleric dip for turn attempts to power it?) so you can swift-move back and charge every round. Then just grab the charge feats and a Pouncebarbarian dip (you can still be Lawful, you only wanted the one level anyway) for big damage every charge.

Strongheart Halfling Pouncebarian1/Cleric1/CrusaderX? Feats include Power Attack, Travel Devotion (just trade one of your Domains for it. No biggie), Mounted Combat, Spirited Charge, and Wild Cohort. Use a +1 Valorous Wrathful Healing Lance. Pick up Twisted Charge as a skill trick.

This scores you a truly extreme x4 damage (and healing yourself half that amount) when mounted-charging with your lance, and the ability to spring back into charge-range for just a Swift action. And you get your Full Attack on a charge, you still get to be Lawful, and you get a nice mount. You also have maneuvers to fall back on when you're not able to Charge, and you're really tanky from being a Crusader and healing yourself for half the damage you deal. Since this is probably way too strong, feel free to drop the Valorous enhancement and Spirited Charge to nerf your damage.

You could always get a squire (hireling? cohort?) to handle your mount and other un-knightly tasks. This is basically what real-world knights did, and it worked pretty well for them. Also recall that a Large sized creature can fit into a Medium space without needing a check, but still consider using a Medium mount.

As for maneuverability, being a Strongheart Halfling riding a dinosaur (or a Pony, if you're lame) might be the way to go. Fit into Medium spaces without penalty, and all you need is a 10ft straight line to charge people (or even a bent line with Twisted Charge).

Evard
2013-04-10, 01:08 PM
Crusaders get the White Raven charge maneuvers, which synergize nicely with mounted combat. Aside from that, you probably want Travel Devotion (maybe a Cleric dip for turn attempts to power it?) so you can swift-move back and charge every round. Then just grab the charge feats and a Pouncebarbarian dip (you can still be Lawful, you only wanted the one level anyway) for big damage every charge.

Pouncebarian1/Cleric1/CrusaderX? Feats include Power Attack, Law Devotion (just trade one of your Domains for it. No biggie), Mounted Combat, Spirited Charge, and Wild Cohort. Use a +1 Valorous Wrathful Healing Lance.

This scores you a truly extreme x4 damage (and healing yourself half that amount) when mounted-charging with your lance, and the ability to spring back into charge-range for just a Swift action. And you get your Full Attack on a charge, you still get to be Lawful, and you get a nice mount. You also have maneuvers to fall back on when you're not able to Charge, and you're really tanky from being a Crusader and healing yourself for half the damage you deal.

You could always get a squire (hireling? cohort?) to handle your mount and other un-knightly tasks. This is basically what real-world knights did, and it worked pretty well for them. Also recall that a Large sized creature can fit into a Medium space without needing a check, but still consider using a Medium mount.

+1

OP: Look into the Crusader's Handbook for more info on how awesome they are :D

Flickerdart
2013-04-10, 01:17 PM
Your standard Sorcadin will probably work fine; add Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) and Silverwood Arcanist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031209a), shake, and serve.

Alternatively, you could use a Barbarian base and combine the various Intimidate and rage feats with Mounted Fury to share the benefits of your rage with your mount for a truly terrifying duo of man and mount.

Metahuman1
2013-04-10, 11:08 PM
@flickerdart: That's good, I'll keep that on Back Burner.

@Slipperychicken and Evard: That actually looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

@Demidos: I'll keep that in mind.

Hydraa: Any idea on what kind of equine golem would be the best way to go form both a cost effectiveness standpoint and an ease of replacement/effective at not needing replacement standpoint?

Also, since the printed weapons of Legacy don't work so good, would it be worth while to invest in Item Familiar?

Flickerdart
2013-04-11, 12:07 AM
Constructs are really bad if those are your concerns - they are very expensive to make and repair. Undead creatures are much cheaper, but unfortunately commanding them can be irritating (unless you're a Blackguard or something and can Rebuke, while still being knightly). Note that you can Rebuke various elemental creatures in a bunch of different ways, so contracting a wizard to Planar Bind you some cool stuff is an option.

If you're into mage knights, Phantom Steed is a great option, because you just cast a new one when you want a new one. 3rd level spell slots are cheap. If you want to go the Crusader route, Jade Phoenix Mage combines arcane casting and maneuver progressions.

If you're interested in a mount that is difficult to kill, you may be interested in an Ubermount build (where the mount is super pumped up and the rider is basically just there as decoration). Failing that, I would look into Nightmares, which can use astral projection at-will. Ride the astral copy, when it dies, have the Nightmare create a new one. It's Large, not Medium, but work with your DM and see if you can get a baby one, maybe.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-11, 12:11 AM
Wizard 2/Druid 4/Arcane Hierophant 10. Wizard and Druid spells for buffing, a mount that's both a familiar and an animal companion, and wildshape or one of its variants.

Edit: And Flickerdart reminded me of another one. Sorcerer 4/Crusader 1/JPM 10/Abjurant Champion 5. Trade away your familiar, then take Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar, and get a familiar you can ride. You can share spells and as a gish your HP will help keep the familiar alive. Hexblade can do this too, but... hexblade. Duskblade can do it better, but I'm not a huge fan.

Snowbluff
2013-04-11, 12:11 AM
Combat Panache is one of my favorite feats for cha fighters.

As for mounted, if you have a mount with feats, and you took Spirit Charge and have a lance, teach the mount martial arts. Give it the stance to give damage bonus on charges with Martial Stance (ToB). :smalltongue:

Halfing Paladins are one of my favorite PHB set ups. Better AC, Saves, damage loss is irrelevant due to charging bonuses, Warponies are affordable at level 1, and you can ride it more places than a large horse. :smallsmile:

Slipperychicken
2013-04-11, 12:14 AM
MMIV's Clockwork Steed is 2,150gp. Also has a few really cheap upgrades which give it some extra feats and armor proficiency.

All you need now is to make it a dinosaur (refluff the Pony) and give it Kung Fu ToB maneuvers and stances. Also see if you can make it intelligent (), or otherwise able to speak (get a really strong Wizard to cast Awaken Construct on it, use a Wish for it).

3ft tall lance-weilding chivalric knight, riding a talking dinosaur-robot who knows Kung Fu. Look me in the face and try to tell me that isn't awesome.

Metahuman1
2013-04-12, 07:32 PM
I like the idea of that mount!

Yes, I'm seeing it coming together now.

So, Lion totem Barbarian 1/ Crusader 3/ Warblade 1/ Crusader rest of my career, with the suggested lance and mounts and a visit too that location from planar handbook that gives 1/day turn undead + a couple of night sticks and travel devotion for the extra mobility.

Warblade is to get access to the juicy diamond mind and Iron Heart tricks for when I need to have a bit more defense (The concentration in place of saves counters and one or two of the stances form diamond mind and of course, Iron Heart Surge.) Along with some crowd control tricks/damage boosters for when charging just isn't the way to go.

And it's also a place to use a martial script to stick Mountain hammer for when I need a can opener. That way all my Crusader Maneuvers can be focused on Devoted Spirit and White Raven.