PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Oozy Spells and Character

zilonox
2013-04-10, 11:10 AM
So, I've been wanting to play an Oozemaster for a long time just because I find the concept interesting. Now, I finally have the chance. :smallbiggrin:

One of the prerequisites is being able to cast 3rd level arcane or divine spells. One way I thought of doing this was with Druid as the base, then branching into oozemaster (and possibly Thrall of Juilbex or maybe Slime Lord later on).

My issue though, is the general lack of oozy type spells. I found exactly 3 spells relating to slimes/oozes for druid (with two others that sort of fit). Wizard/Sorcerer is a bit better 7 (with 1 in common with the Druid list), and 3 more that sort of fit (2 of which were on the Druid list). There were also a handful of spells that were only on domain lists. :smallfrown:

The spells that I found are:

Amorphous Form (SC, Sor/Wiz 3)
Babau Slime (SC, Dru 3)
Caustic Mire* (CMage, Sor/Wiz 4)
Engulfing Terror (DotU, Dru 3 / Sor/Wiz 3)
Incendiary Slime (CMage, Sor/Wiz 2)
Mantle of the Slime Lord (Ruin, Initiate of ghaunadaur 7)
Mold Touch (PGtF, Initiate of nature 3)
Oozepuppet (FC1, Ooze 5 / Sor/Wiz 5)
Polymorph (PHB, Sor/Wiz 4)
Sandform* (Sand, Dru 4 / Sor/Wiz 4)
Simbul's Skeletal Deliquescence (MoF, Sor/Wiz 8)
Slime Hurl (Ruin, Initiate of ghaunadaur 5)
Slime Wave (FC1, Dru 7 / Ooze 7)
Spore Cloak* (RoF, Dru 6 / Sor/Wiz 6)
Touch of Juilbex (BoVD, Corrupt 3)
Wall of Ooze (BoVD, Clr 5 / Sor/Wiz 5)

* These spells sort of fit the theme.

So what I hoped to do here was see if anyone knew of any spells that I missed, and also perhaps offer other build options. This is for a character starting at 10th level, with just about any Wotc (though sadly, no psionics, ToB, ToM or 3rd party) source available. One caveat though, I have to take at least 3 levels in class/PrC before I can switch to another class. My current build is Druid 5 / Oozemaster 5. (I have no idea what the rest of the party will consist of.)

Now, I'm not exactly looking for CO - I'd just stick with druid (or some other tier 1 caster class) for that. What I have in mind is a sort of mycomancer, someone who summons, controls and/or generally splays with slimes / moulds / puddings, and to a lesser extent fungi (though these would be more the slimey kind rather than the smurfy house kind).

One of the reasons I went with druid is for the Elemental Companion ACF. I talked my DM into allowing me to take a ooze paraelemental as a companion instead of the normal air/water/fire/earth one to go along with the theme. I'm not tied to druid, but I felt it fit better as slimes and moulds are generally part of the natural world.

So, how about playgrounders? Can you find any more oozy spells, or can you help me come up with a better oozy themed character?

Thanks.
Z

zilonox
2013-04-10, 11:16 AM
Oh, I just wanted to point out that I am aware of the Living Spell / Awake Ooze combo for creating an playable ooze. Perhaps oddly, I felt that was a bit over the top and that it would probably have a small chance of getting approved.

Instead, I went with Frost Dwarf, since they are from the Abyss, which is where Juilbex also resides (on a different layer) and I can work that relationship into a plausible backstory. I can use any +1 LA race and presume that it is bought off already for the start of this adventure. I don't mind templates, but I want to try and keep net +0 LA on this character.

Thanks!
Z

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-10, 11:28 AM
So, if you want the authentic Abyssal flavor, you would probably not take spore cloak without significant refluffing of the spell. Jubilex is bitter enemies with Zuggtmoy, and spore cloak is a that would definitely be associated with her sphere of influence (mold, fungus, decay).

Slimes and oozes are also strongly associated with acid, which opens up a slew of spells. You can non-feat Spell Thematics refluff the visuals of the casting of these acids spells to have a oozy theme (I'm picturing Melf's acid arrow that has the visuals of Slimer slime-ing someone in Ghostbusters).

Jubilex is also associated with corruption, especially of water and such. Pollution and stuff like the alkilith powers (Fiend Folio) might be worth looking into, and contagion and such are pretty much in line with this part of the theme.

Finally, slimes and molds count as plants for the purposes of spells that deal with plants (DMG page 76). This opens up a slew of (ab)usable spells for druids to deal with slimes and molds, but note, as above, there is a fine line between the stuff that is in Jubilex' domain and what is in Zuggtmoy's domain (probably a good bit of the reason why they are always fighting over their layer).

Pally din
2013-04-10, 11:32 AM
A couple of the Cerebrotic spells summon oozes, and a couple of the others of them have oozish themes. http://maria-frcampaign.blogspot.com/2011/12/cerebrotic-spells.html

Psychic Warrior 2, has Disolving Touch, and 7 has Form of Doom. But that seems like too much work for too little gain.

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-10, 11:36 AM
Blackwater Tentacle - creates an evil amorphous blob of eeeevil which fights for you.

Druid, sorcerer/wiz and Blackwater domain level 5, so you should be able to get it.

Transmute Rock to Mud should count, shouldn't it? You can reflavour it to be... slimier.

Mudslide, too. Web. Grease. You would want these good spells anyway in many cases so you are not missing out. If you are going the Druid route, take Entangle, and have it as muddy ick which grasps the ankles.

Look at things with the Acid descriptor too. You should have Acid Splash as a cantrip, and things like Greenfire and Venom Bolt may be up your street.

As it happens, the ultra-optimisers may not wholly approve of what you are doing, but it sounds incredibly cool and disgusting to me, big thumbs up.

:smalltongue:

zilonox
2013-04-10, 11:58 AM
So, if you want the authentic Abyssal flavor, you would probably not take spore cloak without significant refluffing of the spell. Jubilex is bitter enemies with Zuggtmoy, and spore cloak is a that would definitely be associated with her sphere of influence (mold, fungus, decay).

I had that one marked as an almost-fit because it was more fungi-ish than slimey. I'd forgotten about the rivalry between the two lords however, so yeah, probably not a good idea. :smallbiggrin:

Slimes and oozes are also strongly associated with acid, which opens up a slew of spells. You can non-feat Spell Thematics refluff the visuals of the casting of these acids spells to have a oozy theme (I'm picturing Melf's acid arrow that has the visuals of Slimer slime-ing someone in Ghostbusters).

Excellent idea! Now what didn't I think of that... I'll see if my DM will allow it.

Jubilex is also associated with corruption...[snipped]

True enough. I'll keep that in mind if I run out of oozy things. Thanks.:smallsmile:

Finally, slimes and molds count as plants for the purposes of spells that deal with plants (DMG page 76). This opens up a slew of (ab)usable spells for druids to deal with slimes and molds...[snipped]
Another great point. Helps solidify druid as my base class, even though there are more oozy spells on the Sor/Wiz list.

A couple of the Cerebrotic spells summon oozes, and a couple of the others of them have oozish themes. http://maria-frcampaign.blogspot.com/2011/12/cerebrotic-spells.html

Whoa! Those were not in the list I had access to! Thanks for pointing them out to me. Makes me want to play an Alienst now. :smallbiggrin:

Psychic Warrior... [snipped]
Unfortunately, psionics is not allowed. I was probably editing my original post to include that while you were writing yours. I loves me some psionics, but too many DM's don't. (Another post for another day - though it's been argued over and over on these boards already.)

Blackwater Tentacle - creates an evil amorphous blob of eeeevil which fights for you.

Druid, sorcerer/wiz and Blackwater domain level 5, so you should be able to get it.

Well, how about that. I limited my search to spells that had the actual words "slime", "ooze" and "mold"/"mould" in the title or description. No wonder this one slipped through the cracks. I may have to go back over my list with a finer toothed comb now.

Transmute Rock to Mud should count...[snipped]
More excellent refluffing options. Thank you very much!

Look at things with the Acid descriptor too. You should have Acid Splash as a cantrip, and things like Greenfire and Venom Bolt may be up your street.
Much like Phelix-Mu's suggestion about corruption, I will certainly keep this in mind for when I run out of slime/ooze related options. :smallsmile:

As it happens, the ultra-optimisers may not wholly approve of what you are doing, but it sounds incredibly cool and disgusting to me, big thumbs up.

:smalltongue:

Cool and disgusting - exactly what I was going for. :smallbiggrin:

Thank you so much for the great replies!!!
Z

Pally din
2013-04-10, 12:12 PM
Feat Energy Substitution, acid.
Psionic feat Paraelemental Power, ooze, gets you a free entangle.
Spell Yochlol Blessing 4, might be refluffed for oozy tentacle attacks.
Spell Befoul, ooze 8.

You might be able to work with a GM to allow a spell to be on your themed list, even if it is not already on it, even if it comes from a different class, arcane versus divine, or psi versu spell, and the same may be true for feats. As long as you stick to the theme as opposed to going all power hungry, and the spell stays the same level, a GM might work with you.

zilonox
2013-04-10, 12:32 PM
Feat Energy Substitution, acid.
Psionic feat Paraelemental Power, ooze, gets you a free entangle.
Spell Yochlol Blessing 4, might be refluffed for oozy tentacle attacks.
Spell Befoul, ooze 8.
Sadly, no psionics. :smallsigh: I did see the Yochol Blessing and the Befoul spells, I just didn't include them in my list because they didn't fit directly with my vision of ooze/slime. Refluffing may be an option as suggested above, so I appreciate you pointing the possibilities here.

You might be able to work with a GM to allow a spell to be on your themed list, even if it is not already on it, even if it comes from a different class, arcane versus divine, or psi versu spell, and the same may be true for feats. As long as you stick to the theme as opposed to going all power hungry, and the spell stays the same level, a GM might work with you.

Good idea. The DM has done other things like lifting the alignment restriction for monks, so you never know. Never hurts to ask, right? (And besides, the very fact that I'm ditching druid to delve into Oozemaster should speak volumes about how "power hungry" I am. :smallwink: )

Z

Pally din
2013-04-10, 01:19 PM
Feat Brand of the Nine Hells, Baalzebul. Followed by Feat Mark of Maladomini. Of course, you have to be serving devils.

Then in Lords of Madness there is a prestige class and several feats for aboleth, perhapse useful if you refluff oozemaster 10 into turing you into an aboleth. Yeah, I'm probably reaching too far.

zilonox
2013-04-10, 02:05 PM
Feat Brand of the Nine Hells, Baalzebul. Followed by Feat Mark of Maladomini. Of course, you have to be serving devils.
Interesting ideas. If I go with the Thrall of Juilbex PrC as a follow up, then I have to have the Thrall to Demon feat - and I'm not sure if I could get away serving both demons and devils given their long standing war. Could make for interesting times though...

Then in Lords of Madness there is a prestige class and several feats for aboleth, perhapse useful if you refluff oozemaster 10 into turing you into an aboleth. Yeah, I'm probably reaching too far.
Another interesting option, but yeah, I think that one does reach just a bit too far. But I really do appreciate the thoughts!!!

Z