PDA

View Full Version : Kamen Rider for D&D?

Guyver87
2013-04-10, 02:09 PM
Because I am an incurable fanboy of all things tokusatsu, I've been wondering is there any good homebrew class [Base or PrC] for D&D 3.5 based on the idea of Kamen Rider?

If not, is there any way to create such character using existing sources for D&D 3.5 [Official or third party books]?

I've been tinkering with Vigilante from fan-created Legend System, but it felt a bit incomplete for me. I also played with Psionic Monk, and Unarmed Swordsage, but it wasn't really what I've tried to accomplish.

I would be grateful, for any suggestions.

ArcturusV
2013-04-10, 02:15 PM
Well, I know someone on the board made a Sentai class, but I lost the link. Gonna go look for it for you.

Aha, found:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264677

Might want to start with that.

OverdrivePrime
2013-04-10, 02:25 PM
My friend Keith Justice (of Henshin Justice (http://henshinjustice.com/)) would flip his gourd for a Kamen Rider PrC.

I was thinking about it, and I think the Summoner class from Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/), with the Synthesist Archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist) would fit KR (or at least the little of it I've seen) very well.

A synthesist summons the essence of a powerful outsider to meld with his own being. The synthesist wears the eidolon like translucent, living armor. The eidolon mimics all of the synthesist’s movements, and the synthesist perceives through the eidolon’s senses and speaks through its voice, as the two are now one creature.

Guyver87
2013-04-10, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Sentai class is exactly the thing I was looking for.

I especially like the fact, that author of this class has incorporated nearly all tokusatsu gimmicks like background explosions, or corny speeches about justice into gameplay...

Not sure how this class would work in the game, but it sure would be fun to try it.

And again thanks, for this wonderful idea.

And Synthesist Summoner would work magnificently, with Kamen Rider Gills, or Another Agito type character, sort of biologically powered hero...

And it would probably easier to convince my GM to allow Pathfinder class into our game, than to make him agree on homebrew, which is also important.

So, thanks for this idea as well.

Deth Muncher
2013-04-10, 07:49 PM
I hate to be that guy who suggests an entirely different system than what you asked for, but uh...

If you want to change systems, Legend (http://www.ruleofcool.com/)has an ability track that lets you be a Kamen Rider. AND, bonus, it's built in the 3.5 OGL, so it's not too far removed from D&D.

Guyver87
2013-04-11, 12:46 AM
Umm... Thanks, but I did mention, that I've tried Vigilante from "Legend" already, but it didn't work out for me.

Not sure why, but I simultaneously overpowered [Signature Ride, and Unbeaten Class Features], and underpowered [Scaling of the Brutal Kick, and Finishing Move damage].

But it's just my opinion, so I might be wrong on that, as I am not a very experienced player.

Nevertheless, it is an option, if you tweak this tract into a prestige class, that stacks with Monk, or Unarmed Swordsage.

Hmm... I wonder, if it could be made into Monk ACF...

Hyde
2013-04-11, 01:52 AM
There are a few Iron Man Classes floating around here somewhere. One of them has enough flexibility that you could make it into Kamen Rider, I think.

I only know they exist, they were never that interesting enough to me to bookmark, sorry.

The-Mage-King
2013-04-11, 02:08 AM
Well, I know someone on the board made a Sentai class, but I lost the link. Gonna go look for it for you.

Aha, found:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264677

Might want to start with that.

Someone remembered it! :smallbiggrin:

Though I cannot take all the credit. I mostly picked up what Giant Brother got done, polished it a lot, and added my own twist. :smallredface:

Thanks, Sentai class is exactly the thing I was looking for.

Good to know. That's been being worked on for like, a year or two.

I especially like the fact, that author of this class has incorporated nearly all tokusatsu gimmicks like background explosions, or corny speeches about justice into gameplay...

Hey, it's fun to be able to do the corny, overly campy stuff, and get bonuses for it. :smalltongue:

Not sure how this class would work in the game, but it sure would be fun to try it.

And again thanks, for this wonderful idea.

Well, if you get the chance to try it, let me know how it plays via PM, unless that thread's been bumped so that it's not past the necro limit.

Otherwise, I have some suggestions...

And Synthesist Summoner would work magnificently, with Kamen Rider Gills, or Another Agito type character, sort of biologically powered hero...

And it would probably easier to convince my GM to allow Pathfinder class into our game, than to make him agree on homebrew, which is also important.

So, thanks for this idea as well.

Another thing you might consider is the Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis) base class. It's...

Far better for a Kamen Rider than Synthesist. It's Pathfinder 3rd party, but officially so, and not that bad in comparison to 3.5's stuff.

Alternatively, in pure 3.5, might I suggest...

A Ring of Arming (Magic Item Compendium)? Ask your DM if you can change the slot to belt for a cost, and if your other magical items go with your armor. Voila! An instant, efficient, Driver.

Apply to Warblade, Unarmed Swordsage, or similar, and you have a good Kamen Rider. (The second can even get Blazing Rider Kick! ...I mean Desert Wind strikes.)

Deth Muncher
2013-04-11, 02:43 AM
Umm... Thanks, but I did mention, that I've tried Vigilante from "Legend" already, but it didn't work out for me.

Not sure why, but I simultaneously overpowered [Signature Ride, and Unbeaten Class Features], and underpowered [Scaling of the Brutal Kick, and Finishing Move damage].

But it's just my opinion, so I might be wrong on that, as I am not a very experienced player.

Nevertheless, it is an option, if you tweak this tract into a prestige class, that stacks with Monk, or Unarmed Swordsage.

Hmm... I wonder, if it could be made into Monk ACF...

Oh...ahah...eheh...whoops. -headscratch, sweatdrop-

BUT THAT'S OKAY BROHANNES, BECAUSE I GOT YOU.

The glory of being Super Sentai in 3.5 is that you can be AAAAANYTHING YOU WAAAAANT TO BE.

Why? Because the Ring of Arming, that's why. Ring of Arming = whambamthankyouma'am, you've got your Sentai armor right there when you need it. You could even reflavor it to be a belt, if you want a more Power Rangers vibe to it (there actually are rules for re-slotting items, somewhere).

"But wait!" I hear you cry, "Then what am I supposed to do for my class!?"

Well. In my head, the things that define henshin hero are the fact that they've got their transforming suit thing (easily achieved with your Ring of Arming), and a sweet-ass ride. Paladins get mounts, right? Paladins are shining paragons of virtue, right? RIGHT? So Paladin's a great option! You just make sure to invest your money in amping up your suit and you're golden!

"But hey!" you continue to cry, "Paladins suck! I hate honor codes like that." Well then yeah, okay. Go for the Tome of Battle route then. You won't have a free ride that you can summon from anywhere, but I'm willing to bed you can find a way around that. I'd do it, but it's late, and my memory is spotty.

EDIT: I can't even say I was ninja'd about the Ring of Arming, I'm just not good at reading comprehension in this thread. Serves me right for being away from the forums for so long.

EDIT EDIT: You know, while I'm all sorts of down for the Tome of Battle sometimes, you realize a straight up Fighter/Kensai with a Ring of Arming would be great for this? You can specialize in whatever kind of weapon you want and go to town. If you still want to do melee, well, you've got bonus feats out the wazoo, take some Unarmed Strike-centric feats or something. You're still at full BAB, what do you care? And if you want to go Unarmed Fighter/Kensai, then you can do stupid things like apply Throwing and Returning to your fists to give you ROCKET FISTS.

3X EDIT: If you don't go Paladin, see if you can get one of those Dust Devil air elementals from Sandstorm to do your bidding. They've got something like a 90ft perfect fly speed if touching the ground, 5ft in the air, and can carry someone. With a few ranks in Ride, you could do some really stupid Ride By attacks. When I'm done with my homework for the evening, I'll go stat this up for you.

The-Mage-King
2013-04-11, 02:49 AM
Why? Because the Ring of Arming, that's why. Ring of Arming = whambamthankyouma'am, you've got your Sentai armor right there when you need it. You could even reflavor it to be a belt, if you want a more Power Rangers vibe to it (there actually are rules for re-slotting items, somewhere).

Beat you to it! :smalltongue:

Well. In my head, the things that define henshin hero are the fact that they've got their transforming suit thing (easily achieved with your Ring of Arming), and a sweet-ass ride. Paladins get mounts, right? Paladins are shining paragons of virtue, right? RIGHT? So Paladin's a great option! You just make sure to invest your money in amping up your suit and you're golden!

Another option is to see if a Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) works, with whatever class.

Or, you know, a Dragon Cohort.

'cause Dragons. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-rDSnRVR0) :smalltongue:

Guyver87
2013-04-11, 08:24 AM
I simply love this forum... I honestly didn't expected to get so many answers in this topic.

Not to mention, how many good ideas I got here.

So, firstly I want to thank The-Mage-King for creating the Sentai class, for all tokusatsu fans out there.

It's really incredibly flexible and flavourful, so it's no surprise, that only by reading about it several ideas for characters popped right into my head.

As for now, I'm in the middle of creating Kamen Rider Gills, Kamen Rider Kabuto, and Metalder... Loads of fun, even if my GM won't agree for me to use it.

As for Aegis, I think it's not as cool, as Sentai, but would still make an interesting Pseudo-Kamen Rider character.

And, once again it would be probably easier to convince my GM to actually let me take this class....

Also lot of thanks for the idea with Ring of Arming, because it would let me to play tokusatsu-like character, without killing/replacing my current char.

By the way, Deth Muncher, You probably invested heavily in Charisma, and Diplomacy, cause You can make pretty convincing arguments. I mean... ROCKET FISTS!!:smallbiggrin:

Implementation of this idea, would probably lead to some weird/funny moments, because now I'm playing as immortal [Wedded to History Feat, from Dragon Magazine], and quite immoral boisterous Warblade, based on Vandal Savage from DC Comics, particularly his portrayal in "Demon Knights" series.

Yes, the one in which he clobbers one raptor to death, using the other raptor as blunt weapon, while shouting "Die, tasty, rare creature! DIE!!"...

So, now I'll get immortal caveman, with a high IQ, flexible morals, and a large axe, who is also a Kamen Rider... :smallsmile: