PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VIII d20 (PEACH please)

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-04-10, 04:18 PM
Okay, now that my Final Fantasy VII d20 project is a complete system and open to review, I am now ready to start my new project of converting FF8 to d20. I want this to be open to review and advice-giving from the get go so here my ideas I have so far.....

- The system will be based off of the Star Wars SAGA system, just like FF7.

- Heroic characters will have a Magic Affinity score, much like the damage threshold score, except it is calculated as thus: Will Defence + miscellaneous modifiers. Magic Affinity will be used as thus:

Spells that inflicts damage or other ailments after the initial damage calculation only remain in effect if the initial Spellcasting check equals or exceeds the target's magic affinity.
Witches with less than 25% of their overall hp are at risk of relinquishing their witch powers if an attack or magic attack equals or exceeds their magic affinity.
Witches can apply their magic affinity score to any spell damage, provided that the spell deals damage in the first place.

- Limit Breaks won't exist in the d20 system as such. Instead, the limit breaks will be special feats that character can select at 1st level and every 3rd level thereafter if they so wish.

- Characters wishing to junction GFs need the GF Training feat. Characters can junction as many GFs as they wish, so long as their total level does not exceed 20. Each GF progress like an advance class, with 5 levels in each. At each level, the character gains special abilities associated with that GF, besides from the normal summoning and drawing abilities which are gained at the GF's 1st level.

- Characters with the GF training feat and at least one GF junctioned can draw and stock magic from monsters and draw points. No one stock of a particular spell can exceed 20.

everytime you use a spell with which you have a stock of, you deplete your stock of that spell by 1. With the GF Training feat, you can junction spells to your ability scores and defence scores, but only one spell can be junctioned to a single ability or defence score at any given time.

There are my ideas so far. What does everyone think? PEACH please!!!

Thank you

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-04-11, 07:12 PM
Here are the races. All done unless stated otherwise.

Human

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100604071754/finalfantasy/images/a/a6/CharVIII_Selphie.jpg
Humans dominate the world and can be found in virtually every corner of the planet. They are the ancestors of early pioneers, traders, travellers, and refugees. Humans have always been people on the move. As a result, they can be found on every continent and nearly every island. As a race, Humans are physically, culturally, and politically diverse.

Human hair colour varies from black to brown to blonde, and their eye colour varies from blue to hazel. Skin shades run from very pale to nearly black, and men are usually taller and heavier than women.
Example Humans: Cid Kramer, Edea Kramer, Irvine Kinneas, Kiros Seagul, Laguna Loire, Nida, Quistis Trepe, Rinoa Heartilly, Selphie Tilmitt, Squall Leonhart, Ward Zabak, Zell Dincht.

HUMAN RACE TRAITS
Humans have the following race traits.
Medium-Size: As Medium-sized creatures, Humans have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Humans base speed is 6 squares.
Bonus Trained Skill: Humans are versatile and accomplished at many tasks. A Human character chooses one additional trained skill at 1st level.
Bonus Feat: Humans gain one bonus feat at 1st level (see Chapter 05: Feats).
Bonus Talent: Humans gain one bonus talent at 1st level. The bonus talent must be selected from those presented in their starting heroic class, and the prerequisites of the chosen talent must be met.

Moogle

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110519025938/finalfantasy/images/a/aa/FF8-Minimog.png
Moogles live up in mountains or in underground caverns, choosing to live away from the hustle and bustle human civilisations. They have an obsession with nuts and some love riding chocobos.

Moogle's skin come in many different colours, just like chocobo's feathers; varying from white, pink, blue, yellow, and green. Their tiny wings on their back are either purple or red, but this could be because of climate rather than gender. All moogles have a feline-like appearance in terms of their face, which also includes having whiskers.
Example Moogles: Minimog

MOOGLE RACE TRAITS
Moogles have the following race traits.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Dex, -2 Str. Moogles are speedy creatures, however they are generally not as strong as other races; even go far as shunning fighting altogether.
Small: As Small-sized creatures, Moogles gain a +2 size bonus on all Stealth checks and gain a +2 bonus to their Reflex Defence, but their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of that of Medium-sized characters.
Speed: Moogle base speed is 4 squares. Moogles have a good flight speed of 6 squares, and requires a swift action to fly and a swift action to land.
Attuned Senses: Moogles may reroll any Perception checks, keeping the better of the two rolls.
Low-Light Vision: Moogles ignore concealment (but not total concealment) from darkness.
Claw: Moogles can only attack with their natural weapons and, as such, are proficient with their own natural weapons instead of any other weapon group. Moogle's claw damage is 1d3 + the Moogle's Strength modifier.
Lightning Reflexes: Moogles receive a +3 race bonus to their Reflex Defence.

Moomba

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/art/ff8-moomba.jpg
Moomba are a race scattered all over the world, and can be seen in any human settlement. They are quite a handy folk and will help out in situations to the best of their ability.

Because of their animal-like appearance, most others tend to avoid their presence or treat them as second-class citizens, however all they ever ask for is to be treated the same as others; at least, they would if they could. All Moomba look the same, however eye colour varies from yellow to crimson and determining gender is quite obvious.

MOOMBA RACE TRAITS
Moombas have the following race traits.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Con, -2 Int; Moombas can be strong at times and are aware of their surroundings; however, they are unable to speak properly and they have a shorter lifespan than other races.
Medium-Size: As Medium-sized creatures, Moombas have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Moomba base speed is 6 squares.
Claw: Moombas can only attack with their natural weapons and, as such, are proficient with their own natural weapons instead of any other weapon group. Moomba's claw damage is 1d4 + the Moomba's Strength modifier.
Rage: Once per day, a Moomba can fly into a fit of rage as a swift action. While raging, the Moomba temporarily gains a +2 rage bonus on melee attack rolls and melee damage rolls but cannot use skills that require patience and concentration, such as Mechanics, Spellcasting, and Stealth.
A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 5 + the Moomba’s Constitution modifier. At the end of its rage, a Moomba moves -1 persistent step along the condition track. The penalties imposed by this condition persists until the Moomba takes at least 10 minutes to recuperate, during which time the Moomba can’t engage in any strenuous activity.
Iron Will: Moombas receive a +3 race bonus to their Will Defence.

Shumi

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120506200208/finalfantasy/images/f/fe/FF8_Norg.png
Shumis make their home in their self-named village on Winter Island. Most of them live peaceful lives and tend to keep themselves to themselves; however, some have ventured out of the village to explore the world.

Shumis are quite large creatures with overly-large hands and a long drooping chin. When they speak they have a harsh growl that tends to make others a bit wary of them. Their skin colour ranges from magnolia cream to pale white, and their eye colour range from green to acid yellow.
Example Shumi: Master Norg.

SHUMI RACE TRAITS
Shumis have the following race traits.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Dex, -2 Wis. Shumi’s resistance to illness is above average and are very persuasive and cultural; however, they tend to not rush into anything and sometimes are quite quick-tempered.
Medium-Size: As Medium-sized creatures, Shumis have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Shumi base speed is 4 squares.
Perfectionist: Shumis can reroll one of their trained skills, keeping the better of the two rolls.
Elemental Resistance: Shumis receive half damage (rounded-down) on all poison-based magic attacks (such as bio).
Mighty Punch: Shumis receive a +2 race bonus to all attack rolls and damage rolls made with an unarmed strike.
Great Fortitude: Shumis receive a +3 race bonus to their Fortitude Defence.

Tonberry

http://www.ffcompendium.com/EspMon/tonberry8-b.jpg
Tonberrys are a race of humanoid lizard-folk that live on the Centra continent. They tend to avoid confrontation if they can, however Tonberrys will take up the mantle if their family and friends are in grave danger.

Tonberrys are quite short creatures with either dark green or placid blue skin. They have bright golden eyes and they have no body hair or any other outstanding features. Their appearance looks like that of a frog that walks on two legs, be it very slowly.

TONBERRY RACE TRAITS
Tonberrys have the following race traits.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Int, -2 Cha. Tonberrys are clever but are not very agile or persuasive.
Small: As Small-sized creatures, Tonberrys gain a +2 size bonus on all Stealth checks and gain a +2 bonus to their Reflex Defence, but their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters that of Medium-size characters.
Speed: Tonberry Base Speed is 2 squares.
Everyone’s Grudge: Once per encounter, Tonberrys can designate a single enemy target. The Tonberry increases its weapon damage against the designated target by +1 die for each ally still participating in battle. For example, if the Tonberry has three allies remaining on the battlefield, it receives a +3 die to all weapon damage rolls against the designated target until the end of the encounter. The Tonberry cannot change the designated target once it has been selected.
My Word, My King: Tonberrys receive GF Training as a bonus feat at 1st level. In addition, they receive the guardian force King Tonberry, as their leader is always with his kin; heart and mind.
Darkvision: Tonberrys ignore concealment (including total concealment) from darkness. However, they cannot perceive colours in total darkness.

P.E.A.C.H. please :smallsmile:

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-04-13, 04:41 PM
Any feedback so far? Or is everyone waiting for more content?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-05-06, 08:18 AM
I'll be adding more content to this thread over the next couple of weeks so keep your eyes peeled. Also, if there is anyone wishing to help me by making custom content please feel free to do so. I'll post a link to a website where I'll have all content associated with this project in a clear, readable format.

Fatal Rose
2014-09-12, 12:51 AM
I think this is very interesting. Sadly I never had a chance to download the original PDF of FF7 d20.

Hope more comes soon. I found a FFX d20 off this site and its awesome!

This is Ryan I added your group on Facebook recently.

Sgt. Cookie
2014-09-12, 12:04 PM
I'm liking what you have, so far. I'm currently replaying FF8 for the first time in over a decade, so it all looks good to me.

Minor nitpick, though. It's actually spelt "Master NORG", caps and all. I just kicked his arse in-game and it was definitely NORG.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2014-09-12, 12:30 PM
Thank you for the correction Sgt. Cookie :) i'll change it as soon as possible.

Fatal Rose: You can still get the pdfs from the official facebook page. I have removed them from the website as i am making space for the new Version 2 of FF7 d20, hence i havent done much more on FF8. any help, however, is greatly appreciated.