PDA

View Full Version : Updating some options, query for the DMs.

Tegu8788
2013-04-10, 04:53 PM
WoTC hasn't updated some options as they have released more materials. I'm curious how the DMs around here would feel if a player asked you to let them pick an option that looks pretty clearly legitimate, but the material's haven't been updated to support that choice.

I'm thinking of hybrids mostly, being me, but I suspect this could apply to other things as well. Like Warlock Pact Boons for Vestige, Sorcerer-King, or Elemental? Or Monastic Traditions for Desert Wind, Eternal Tide, or Iron Soul?

How would you guys handle someone that wanted to try those things out? I'm not suggesting anything cheesy, I don't think.

Mandrake
2013-04-10, 05:00 PM
Short answer:
I would almost certainly allow it.

Middle-length answer:
If a player is an experienced one and proficient with the gameplay and the rules, we could easily try and come to an agreement - rule 0 is fun, by the way, and since this is no matter of fluff (because it's obviously on the level of character-making and options, if I'm clear), I can see no other way to make the player happy. So, that's a yes.

On the other hand, I dislike too much of rule bending and homebrewing myself, since I believe that it can do more harm than good more often than not, and I'd like to see what we can come up with whilst trying to build it and make it work. That might lead to a no.

(As far as material itself goes, I'd sit down with the player and we'd see how it's been made so far, try to copy-paste as much as possible and come to a compromise, which could be altered after some game experience. My players are polite like that.)

Hope I helped you out.

Kurald Galain
2013-04-10, 05:05 PM
WoTC hasn't updated some options as they have released more materials. I'm curious how the DMs around here would feel if a player asked you to let them pick an option that looks pretty clearly legitimate, but the material's haven't been updated to support that choice.

I would let him, but I would say in advance that if it turns out to be overpowered or cheesy, I would do something about it.

Merely stating this warning generally allows you to distinguish between the players who just want something cool (which is most of them) and the munchkins who try to trick you with a combo you haven't heard of.

Firebug
2013-04-10, 06:10 PM

I'm thinking of hybrids mostly, being me, but I suspect this could apply to other things as well. Like Warlock Pact Boons for Vestige, Sorcerer-King, or Elemental? Or Monastic Traditions for Desert Wind, Eternal Tide, or Iron Soul?

How would you guys handle someone that wanted to try those things out? I'm not suggesting anything cheesy, I don't think.

By "hasn't updated some options" I am assuming you mean "on the character builder" because both the Pact Boon issue (assuming you have the hybrid talent feat) and the additional Monastic Traditions are clearly covered by the base hybrid rules already. They say very clearly:
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): This class feature functions as the warlock class feature, except that you don’t gain the at-will attack power or the Pact Boon granted by it.
Eldritch Pact:You have forged a pact with mysterious entities that grant you your arcane powers. Choose one pact. The pacts presented in the Player’s Handbook are the fey pact, the infernal pact, and the star pact. Other products present additional pacts. So clearly you are allowed any normal (non-binder) warlock pact with Hybrid Warlock(non-binder)'s Eldritch Pact

Monastic Tradition (Hybrid)
Choose a Monastic Tradition option. You gain only the Flurry of Blows power associated with that option. Your Flurry of Blows power is triggered only when you hit with a monk power or monk paragon path power during your turn. You are considered to have that option for the purpose of meeting prerequisites.
Monastic Tradition: Monks train in a number of traditional techniques, with each monastery focusing on a specific style. Choose either Centered Breath or Stone Fist as your tradition. The choice you make grants you a Flurry of Blows power and a defensive benefit.
This implies just Centered Breath or Stone Fist.
However, the text from Iron Soul states you can take it instead of the original ones... ex: "When you choose your Monastic Tradition, you can choose the Iron Soul tradition instead of another option, such as the ones in Player’s Handbook 3."
And from the Heroes of the Elemental Chaos book page 69: "This book introduces two monastic traditions that have ties to the Sublime Way. When you create a monk, Desert Wind and Eternal Tide are among your choices for the Monastic Tradition class feature."

Guild Attacks(Hybrid) You choose a guild and gain the benefit of the Guild Attacks class feature, except that you choose only two of the at-will attack powers associated with your guild.
Guild Attacks: You become a member of an assassin guild. You can choose to join the Red Scales, the League of Whispers or the Way of the Ninja.So clearly you are allowed to take Way of the Ninja as your Guild.

It's just that none of these are coded into the character builder. Most likely because few of the people who wrote the code actually play the game.

Surrealistik
2013-04-10, 06:31 PM
I would let him, but I would say in advance that if it turns out to be overpowered or cheesy, I would do something about it.

Merely stating this warning generally allows you to distinguish between the players who just want something cool (which is most of them) and the munchkins who try to trick you with a combo you haven't heard of.

To trick peopleee... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=saHs6J0OXVI#t=39s)

neonchameleon
2013-04-10, 07:28 PM
Off the top of my head unless you can present a damn good explanation why your character must be a hybrid without referencing any mechanics directly, I ban hybrids. Other than that I'd just say "Go for it and we'll see what happens."