PDA

View Full Version : I made an Epic Factotum progression!

Mr Adventurer
2013-04-10, 04:57 PM
So, what do you reckon to this in terms of (a) design and (b) power level?

Factotum Epic Progression
Inspiration: A Factotum gains 1 more Inspiration point per encounter at 23rd level and every 3 class levels thereafter.

Opportunistic Piety: A Factotum continues to gain 1 more use of this class ability per day at 25th level and every 5 class levels thereafter.

Bonus feats: A Factotum gains a bonus feat at 22nd level and every 3 class levels thereafter. The feats can be any feat for which the Factotum meets the prerequisites.

New epic feats
Arcane Dissertation [Epic]
Prerequisite: Arcane Dilettante (7th level spells), Spellcraft 12 ranks
Benefit: When preparing spells using your Arcane Dilettante class feature, you can prepare one 8th level spell and one 9th level spell. These spells are in addition to your normal allotment of prepared spells from the Arcane Dilettante class feature (normally 8 spells for a 20th-level Factotum), but otherwise follow all the normal rules as described in the Arcane Dilettante class feature. In addition, you can prepare spells of up to 7th level in your other Arcane Dilettante slots.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Its effects stack: each time you take the feat, you can prepare one additional 8th level spell and one additional 9th level spell.

Inspired Metamagic [Epic]
Prerequisite: Arcane Dissertation, any metamagic feat, Spellcraft 15 ranks
Benefit: When preparing spells using your Arcane Dilettante class feature, you can prepare one spell of a level one higher than your normal maximum. This spell slot is in addition to your existing allotment of spell slots for your Arcane Dilettante class feature. Because there are no spells above 9th level, you can only use this slot to prepare a spell affected by a metamagic feat that you know, or to prepare a spell of 9th level or lower.
In addition, choose one metamagic feat that you possess. You can apply this metamagic feat to a spell you cast as part of your Arcane Dilettante class feature, without preparing the spell with the metamagic feat ahead of time and without increasing the spell’s casting time or the level of the spell slot needed. You can only do this if the modified spell level is one which you are capable of preparing. To do this you must spend a number of Inspiration points equal to the spell level modifier of the metamagic feat, plus one (to a minimum of 2). For example, if you chose Empower Spell, and were capable of preparing 7th level spells, you could spontaneously Empower any spell you cast of 5th level or less. You would spend 3 Inspiration points (in addition to the one to activate your Arcane Dilettante class feature) in order to do so. Doing this is part of casting the spell from your Arcane Dilettante class feature.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Its effects stack: you can prepare one spell of a level one higher than you could before, and you can choose an extra metamagic feat that you know which you can now use spontaneously.

Epic Cunning [Epic]
Prerequisite: Factotum level 21st, Intelligence 19, 10 ranks in any six skills
Benefit: A number of your class features improve as follows: Cunning Knowledge - you can use this class feature one additional time per day per skill. Cunning Dodge - you can use this ability as many times per day as you like instead of only once per day. Cunning Brilliance - you can choose an additional class feature at the start of the day and use it in addition to the three normally allowed by the class feature. You must spend any Inspiration points to activate these abilities as normal.

Cunning Slayer [Epic]
Prerequisite: Factotum level 21st
Benefit: The extra damage from your Cunning Insight or Cunning Strike class features lasts until the start of your next turn, instead of only applying to one attack.

Supreme Brilliance [Epic]
Prerequisite: Cunning Brilliance, Factotum level 21st, 10 ranks in any six skills
Benefit: You are not limited to class features which are extraordinary when choosing class features each day for Cunning Brilliance: you can choose class features which are spell-like, supernatural, or untyped. You cannot choose a spellcasting class feature. You cannot choose the same class feature from more than one class (for example, Turn Undead from both the Cleric and Paladin classes).

Mr Adventurer
2013-04-11, 03:32 PM
Hmm. Did I post this in the wrong forum? Or is it just boring? :smallsmile:

Shades of Gray
2013-04-11, 03:35 PM
It all seems well-thought out, but most people don't play epic level games (and if they do seldom take more than twenty levels in one class). As such, I'd think most people would either be uninterested in this brew or just unqualified to talk about its balance/creativity.

Karnith
2013-04-11, 03:40 PM
Hmm. Did I post this in the wrong forum? Or is it just boring? :smallsmile:
It looks fine, but this is something that probably belongs in the Homebrew Design subforum.

Gildedragon
2013-04-11, 03:53 PM
I would continue with the arcane dilettante progression granting more slots and higher maximum level sla's

What about granting access to epic spellcasting?

Granting more or longer lasting uses of cunning brilliance? Increase the max level it can imitate every 2-4 levels

As it stands it is a solid but kinda uninteresting extension of an interesting class

And yeah this goes in homebrew

JaronK
2013-04-11, 04:09 PM
For what it's worth, no ability is untyped (because any ability that's not Ex, Sp, or Su is automatically Na). So, I'd leave that out. Just say abilities of any type.

But yeah, wrong forum, and few people use epic. Still, it looks pretty cool.

JaronK

Mr Adventurer
2013-04-11, 04:47 PM
First of all: thanks for the heads-up chaps, I have reported the thread and asked for it to be moved to Homebrew. I thought that forum was more for game- or world-building. Oops!

Second, I'm glad that at least it doesn't seem to have any glaring problems.

I would continue with the arcane dilettante progression granting more slots and higher maximum level sla's

I considered this, but I didn't want to step on actual spellcasters' toes too much. With a relatively quick bonus feat progression the Factotum has the option of increasing their Arcane Dilettante ability quite quickly; past a certain point, it doesn't seem like dilettantism, after all...

What about granting access to epic spellcasting?

This seemed like it was out of the Factotum's ouevre too much - it should be the domain of 'real' spellcasters.

Granting more or longer lasting uses of cunning brilliance? Increase the max level it can imitate every 2-4 levels

Epic Cunning already adds an additional use per day and stacks with itself. Increasing the maximum level seems dangerous to me, since new class features do not accrue after 20th class level - you'd end up with a Factotum capable of EVERYTHING another given class can do, which doesn't seem like a good idea or in keeping with the design behind the class.

As it stands it is a solid but kinda uninteresting extension of an interesting class

I'll take the 'solid' :D.

What sort of thing would be more interesting, do you think?

For what it's worth, no ability is untyped (because any ability that's not Ex, Sp, or Su is automatically Na). So, I'd leave that out. Just say abilities of any type.

But yeah, wrong forum, and few people use epic. Still, it looks pretty cool.

JaronK

Re: ability types... I don't think natural abilities are a type, are they? Certainly I've never seen (Na) as a tag on abilities.

Gildedragon
2013-04-11, 06:34 PM
I believe any untyped ability is Ex...
But that's a matter for the raw question thread.
Would be good to know

mattie_p
2013-04-11, 06:38 PM
I believe any untyped ability is Ex...
But that's a matter for the raw question thread.
Would be good to know

Answer: Natural abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalAbilities) are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.

Mr Adventurer
2013-04-18, 11:38 AM
Okay, so, while we are waiting for the Mods that Be to move the thread to the Homebrew forum - what do you think should be added to this? What feats are missing?