PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Archivist

metalith
2013-04-10, 05:31 PM
Looking to build a new character for a game.

It will be a Divine Caster will need to be part time healer, but hoping to focus on buffing and battlefield control.

I am looking at an primary Archivist base class, and would like something that can wield Divine Metamagic Persist and Quicken. Game situation will be a lot of smaller spaces and dungeon crawls so summon creature builds are not helpful.

We are starting at level 13 and will go up to level 20.

Race: Leaning toward human but definitely not set in stone
Currently starting build Cloistered Cleric 1 (for turns to fund DMM)/Archivist X

Would love some suggestions fleshing out the build.

We are limited to non-campaign specific books and Eberron/Dragonlance material.

Gildedragon
2013-04-10, 06:10 PM
If your DM allows for alt turning to work take planar touchstone, get a domain that grants turning.

mattie_p
2013-04-10, 07:22 PM
My standard advice for DMM builds is to take an ACF at cleric 1, such as channel incarnum from Magic of Incarnum (Azurin Cleric 1) or Lightbringer Cleric from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, both of which explicitly can be used to power divine feats. Then dip Sacred Exorcist(CD) for turn undead and dip Death Delver (Heroes of Horror) for rebuke undead. You now have three turning pools that by RAW can power DMM. (In other words, you don't need the DM to allow it, the rules actually state you get it.)

Standard advice at that point is to use planning and undeath domains, take persistent spell, DMM persist, quicken spell, DMM quicken, and all other feats should go towards extra turning.

At that point, because you are going diptastic in cleric land (and Death Delver won't even advance that), you don't really want archivist, you just need to boost cleric spells. You hit 9th level spells at ECL 18 if you do it right. Archivist will get 9ths at ECL 19 under this build.

JaronK
2013-04-10, 10:34 PM
The Sacred Exorcist PrC grants Turn Undead at level 1, so go with that if you want Divine Metamagic. That way you don't lose any casting.

JaronK

metalith
2013-04-15, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I know this build is not highly optimized but would like opinions on what you think about the class.

I avoided Sacred Exorcist since I did not want to be Good aligned for this character

Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 17(22)
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

Cloistered Cleric 1 /Archivist 5/Dweomerkeeper 2/Death Delver 1/Archivist 3/ Dweomerkeeper 8

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Race: Kobold
Rite: Rite of Passage (Identify 1/Day)
Domains: Magic, Planning
Feats:
1st: Dragonwrought, Academic Priest (F), Persist Spell (F)
3rd: Practiced Spellcaster
6th: DMM Persist
9th: Twin Spell
12th: DMM Twin Spell
15th: Quicken Spell
18th: DMM Quicken Spell

I am pondering swapping the feats for 9 and 12 for 15 and 18. I am not sure about Practiced Spellcaster.

I also went with Death Delver since I get a nice level 1 list without having to spend spells from Archivist to provide it.

Urpriest
2013-04-15, 04:47 PM
I'd swap Twin and Quicken. Unless you're using a lot of swift actions or need to conserve spells, Quicken is more useful.