PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for free internet security?

INoKnowNames
2013-04-10, 09:34 PM
So, my new laptop's Norton Subscription just ran out.

However, being out of work until I can actually move, and trying desperately to save every pinch of change I can get.

So, I'm looking for a good - free online program I can use to secure my tech until I can start affording subscriptions.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Astral Avenger
2013-04-10, 09:42 PM
I'm using Avast and MalwareBytes, both free and I haven't had any virus/worm/trojan/etc. problems in a good long while. I do tend to avoid sights that try to give you malware, so I'm not sure how much it says about the programs vs my browsing habits.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264435) was fairly similar, some people recommended a few other programs too.

Links to downloads for the two:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Hope this helped :smallsmile:

Aedilred
2013-04-10, 09:47 PM
I've used SpyBot and MalwareBytes, and some caution when visiting the dark side of the internet. In the ~nine years or so I've been using one or the other (or both) I've had the odd problem (usually from something I knew in advance I shouldn't be doing) but between them they've always managed to cope (touch wood). I also have Immunet installed, but I can't remember where I got it from and don't pay it much attention. I've found all of them much less intrusive and irritating than either Norton or McAfee, and no less effective.

TaiLiu
2013-04-10, 09:48 PM
Well, if you're using Windows, there's Microsoft Security Essentials.

Palanan
2013-04-10, 10:04 PM
I've used MalwareBytes in the past and was always very impressed.

As for MSE, how does that stack up? I looked into it a couple of years ago, but it was still beta-ish and I couldn't bring myself to do it, despite the generally positive reviews.

TaiLiu
2013-04-11, 12:10 AM
I've used MalwareBytes in the past and was always very impressed.

As for MSE, how does that stack up? I looked into it a couple of years ago, but it was still beta-ish and I couldn't bring myself to do it, despite the generally positive reviews.
It worked fine, I think. I used it a few years ago, when I still used Windows; I don't know how well it works today. I merely suggested it because it was free.

Winter_Wolf
2013-04-11, 12:58 AM
I should preface by stating that I get kind of obsessive about computer related things and have spent countless hours poring over troubleshooting and tweaking settings. It was necessary and I regret nothing, but be forewarned.
I've got a lot of stuff:
Comodo Firewall (free edition) I used to use Sygate Personal Firewall but they got bought out or absorbed into Norton (I think).
Spybot S&D
CCleaner (for cleaning up after you think you visited an iffy site; deletes cookies more thoroughly than browser "delete cookies")
MSE
Avast! Free edition
PeerBlock. It also logs incoming/outgoing connections and blocks a number of "iffy" ones. Will also block certain things like Comodo checking for updates, Nvidia checking for updates, etc. You can adjust things like that in settings though. Honestly I just do manual checks for my Nvidia stuff and am glad not to be constantly bombarded by Comodo pop-ups anymore.

I also use a lot of add-ons for Firefox and enforce https on pretty much everything in browsers. And I stopped visiting anything related to Explosm (Cyanide and Happiness had some unfortunate affiliations; I stopped visiting, and I stopped getting malware). And the malware I had been getting was vicious.

factotum
2013-04-11, 01:42 AM
I have the free AVG on my laptop (and the paid version on my main desktop machine)--been happy enough with it for years, although I really don't like the Windows 8-style UI the latest version has got.

Socratov
2013-04-11, 02:09 AM
I use Avira on my laptop and it works fine, free and when it searches your computer for malware it calls itself Luke Filewalker :smallcool:

noparlpf
2013-04-11, 07:27 AM
Well, if you're using Windows, there's Microsoft Security Essentials.

Which seems to be working great for me so far, and I've had it for probably a year.

Castaras
2013-04-11, 08:49 AM
I use Adblock, Noscript, and am careful with where I browse. I have Avast for emergencies, and know links to places that can get rid of things when I have issues.

angrymudcrab
2013-04-11, 10:09 AM
I use Avast and I have to second Castaras. Noscript + adblock are awesome, I refuse to use a browser that doesn't support them.

I use Adblock, Noscript, and am careful with where I browse. I have Avast for emergencies, and know links to places that can get rid of things when I have issues.

valadil
2013-04-11, 10:43 AM
Linux.

On the rare occasion that I use windows, MSE. I realize this probably isn't the best thing out there, but it's free and my windows usage is low enough that it's probably good enough.

Palanan
2013-04-11, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by valadil
Linux.

Preach it!

*brofist*

(Umm...broflipper?)

valadil
2013-04-11, 03:55 PM
(Umm...broflipper?)

I'm running Precise Pangolin (at work anyway). I don't even know what sort of bro-appendange they bump.

angrymudcrab
2013-04-11, 03:59 PM
They apparently have prehensile tails so I'd go with that. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin) It could be worse, I use arch, so bro... keystone?:smallconfused:

noparlpf
2013-04-11, 04:03 PM
Why not just paw? They have more of those than tails, right?

angrymudcrab
2013-04-11, 04:11 PM
Yeah, but prehensile tails are cooler.:smallcool: