PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help with a Gunslinger encounter

Dr paradox
2013-04-11, 05:49 AM
Hi.

My players (probably around level 15) are about to make an enemy of a nation with firearm tech, so I'm thinking that said nation is going to send somebody after them. I'm hoping for a sniper, who takes the time to set up a perfect trap for the party, perhaps with some backup hired from whichever city he sets up to bushwhack them in.

The problem is, I'm not much of an optimizer, and I'd like the guy to be as devilishly effective at this with as few levels as possible, since it was the party who put gunpowder in their hands, and tossing an equal-level gunslinger at them in a fraction of the time it took the players to hit that level strains credibility, I think.

Does anybody have effective sniper builds or suggestions for strategies to use against them? other classes or types of characters that would complement a sniper well?

With Oil of Silence and the scope that grants touch attacks at any distance, I'd probably say he has three or four rounds before they can pin down his location. could he use that to force them to seek cover in area he's trapped? Envision: in the middle of a square, the ranger suddenly doubles over as an unseen, unheard projectile strike him. party rolls initiative. they cast around looking for the culprit, but they take another three or four bullets before they try to seek cover under a battered archway. boom. sniper hits the barrel of explosives he planted a few hours earlier with an incendiary round, deals some damage, collapses the archway, splits the party. The ranger finally spots him, and calls for the wizard to start returning fire. this is the part where the sniper's hired fighters sweep in to keep them occupied.

what do people think? plausible?