PDA

View Full Version : Captain Caveman!?

GutterFace
2013-04-11, 07:04 AM
so interesting thing i was confronted with and im looking for a bit of advice.

lets say a player wants to be a neanderthal. who also took monkey grip.

he asked if he could wield a Large torch (yup a torch) with 2 hands...

since a medium torch is 1d3+1(fire) [improvised weapon], a large one would be
1d4+?[would the fire damage stay at 1, or be 2 because of the larger size?]

also can he take Weapon Focus - Improvised Weapons, or would it have to be Weapon Focus - Torch?

Lastly lets say he wants to craft masterwork and above torches. what would you demand the crafting material be (besides a wooden club/branch)

thanks playground!

Ashtagon
2013-04-11, 07:22 AM
The usual artwork shows him wielding a club, not a torch. Although that club does seem to be magical (flametongue, light source, and contains a pet bird who moslty does sarcastic commentary).

But torches. Yeah. Based on the damage die charts, I'd say it goes up from 1 fire damage to 1d2 fire damage. It's still an improvised weapon though. And improvised weapons aren't a valid target for the Weapon Focus feat (or its cousins). Certain prestige classes have a feature that allows them to treat improvised weapons as normal weapons, removing the improvised penalty. But it's suboptimal enough that if someone wants to treat it as a martial weapon for weapon proficiency purposes, I'm cool with with that.

Masterwork clubs (or torches) would have the same material component as any other masterwork weapon, mutatis mutandis. The masterwork component itself represents quality of materials and extra effort, not additional materials.

Amphetryon
2013-04-11, 07:22 AM
A Masterwork or above torch is called a magic weapon with the Flaming enchantment. Before that, if memory serves, the flame is an additional +1 damage with the chance of setting stuff ablaze.

At 1st level, I'd just call it a Club until it's actually on fire, at which the Improvised Weapon penalties are a reasonable if imperfect simulation for trying not to burn his own hair off. At 2nd level, making his Club Masterworked helps offset said penalties; 3rd level making it +1 will do so a little bit more. By 4th level, I'd be tempted to ignore the Improvised Weapon penalties entirely, given that he's been using this technique for quite a few combats.

In all, I'd try to find a compromise to make his Character do what he wants. He's already setting Feats AND weapons on fire (literally!) to use this concept. No need to make it worse.

GutterFace
2013-04-11, 07:26 AM
hahahah excellent points. thanks! ill have to take this advice and make sure he doesnt get to wild. :)

Ashtagon
2013-04-11, 07:30 AM
hahahah excellent points. thanks! ill have to take this advice and make sure he doesnt get to wild. :)

If he doesn't get too wild, he's playing Captaaaaaaaaaaaain Caaaaaaaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaaaan wrong.

GutterFace
2013-04-11, 07:32 AM
If he doesn't get too wild, he's playing Captaaaaaaaaaaaain Caaaaaaaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaaaan wrong.

hahahaha truth!

J-H
2013-04-11, 07:53 AM
+1 flaming greatclub.
Remind him about the +1 AB he gets with it from Primitive Weapon Mastery.

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-11, 01:54 PM
He needs some way to fly, or at least have an unstoppable charge of sorts.

And a huge cha score, he has something...
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/CaptainCavemanTeenAngels.jpg
"Super zowie" as the blonde one said.

Ashtagon
2013-04-11, 02:25 PM
He needs some way to fly, or at least have an unstoppable charge of sorts.

And a huge cha score, he has something...
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/CaptainCavemanTeenAngels.jpg
"Super zowie" as the blonde one said.

I thought it was established that it was his magic club that lets him fly? I don't recall him ever flying without it "leading" him.

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-11, 02:33 PM
I thought it was established that it was his magic club that lets him fly? I don't recall him ever flying without it "leading" him.

Ah yes. I forgot which forum we are on for a moment. Thank you for pulling me up on this. Ahem.

Yes, you are correct, in canon, Captain Caveman has no inherent flying powers, his weapon does.

THe OP is mistaken then too, sadly, a normal flaming torch will not be good enough. It's going to cost a good 80k gp more. It will have to be at least a +1, Flamestrike, Flying (?), greatclub.

Of Collision.

That's an awesome weapon, my barbarian wants one.

Melayl
2013-04-11, 06:06 PM
Someone posted a captain caveman class/prc on these boards some time ago for one of the challenges. I don't have time to search for it now, but I remeberit was psionic. Might give you some ideas, at least, if you want to play him...