PDA

View Full Version : Kind of curious: Why a coloring book?

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-11, 08:45 AM
So I was looking through my kickstarter rewards again last night, and I came upon the coloring book. I read through it again, smiling as I remembered the coloring books from when I was a little kid, and then I wondered: Why a coloring book, specifically? Rich, you said that you'd been wanting to do a coloring book for a while but couldn't until the kickstarter because of a lack of general funding.

I am curious why you decided to do a coloring book, or wanted to do one for a while, though. Was it just because it was a funny idea that got lodged into your head, because the art style lends itself well to the medium, or something else? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and you did an excellent job, but it does seem like an oddly specific idea and I was just wondering if there was any other inspiration.

Sunken Valley
2013-04-11, 09:59 AM
So I was looking through my kickstarter rewards again last night, and I came upon the coloring book. I read through it again, smiling as I remembered the coloring books from when I was a little kid, and then I wondered: Why a coloring book, specifically? Rich, you said that you'd been wanting to do a coloring book for a while but couldn't until the kickstarter because of a lack of general funding.

I am curious why you decided to do a coloring book, or wanted to do one for a while, though. Was it just because it was a funny idea that got lodged into your head, because the art style lends itself well to the medium, or something else? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and you did an excellent job, but it does seem like an oddly specific idea and I was just wondering if there was any other inspiration.

Because he wanted OOTS related projects for under 10s, for example, his child(ren)? There are clues of this in other merchandise and comments Rich has made.

Lvl45DM!
2013-04-11, 10:28 AM
Cos they're awesome?

Finagle
2013-04-11, 12:32 PM
Playing the long game. Create new customers 10 years from now by getting them when they're young. McDonald's does the same thing with Happy Meals and playgrounds.

Shred-Bot
2013-04-11, 12:48 PM
Plus the art style lends itself pretty well to a coloring book... not hugely complicated, large enough solid color sections that a kid could stay within the lines if they so chose.

Plus the Giant likes crayons.

ghoul-n
2013-04-11, 12:57 PM
Btw generation of kids raised on stories about illithids and dragons sounds pretty cool.

Bulldog Psion
2013-04-11, 05:41 PM
Another question might be: Why not a coloring book? :smallwink:

Procyonpi
2013-04-11, 06:43 PM
Because fun.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-11, 07:16 PM
No, of course it's fun. I was just wondering how the idea for a coloring book happened in the first place. I mean, I'm just kinda curious is all...

Jay R
2013-04-11, 08:44 PM
Because he wanted to produce a matrix that resonated with arcane power, and that is indeed the gateway to ultimate cosmic power (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html), but he couldn't find a way to work the OotS theme into a doily.

martianmister
2013-04-12, 09:25 AM
Brainwashing children would be a good option.

:redcloak: "Hey kids! Go and kill your parents!"

:thog: "that would be FUN!"

JusticeZero
2013-04-15, 09:32 PM
Plus, crayon is Order of the Scribble style.