PDA

View Full Version : starting at level 10

pyromanser244
2013-04-11, 09:28 AM
my group is trying something new this friday. since the group has people dropping in and out we're setting up a campaign setting to launch level 10 one shots. the idea being that this would let us build characters during downtime (instead of right after we decide what we're playing :smalleek:). the problem I see is equipment. since our group changes so often, we've never mad it to level 10 and I have no idea what is fair to have at that level.

so a question for the playground, what is a good fast way to establish what the party has?

Zero grim
2013-04-11, 09:34 AM
The DMG has a good wealth by level table you can use for how Much gold the party has in equipment, a good hard and fast rule I use is that you cant spend more then half of your money on any one item, which is basically there to make sure nobody buys a super expensive staff but forgets to buy food or rope.

If you want to have the charters in gear in the blink of an eye there are pre-made gear sets in players handbook 2, it spends most of your money on vital items and then gives you some spending cash afterwards (be sure to give them the gold from remaining budget table above).

You could also just give everyone Vow of Poverty as a bonus feat, problem solved. :smallcool:

Gerrtt
2013-04-11, 09:36 AM
How about the Wealth By Level chart found in your DMG? There are rules in there for creating characters above level 1 and that includes how much money they should have access to. In addition to how much money overall, it includes information about how to appropriately balance out their gear (such as no single item can cost more than x% of your total WBL).

For what it's worth, that information is not found on the SRD.

pyromanser244
2013-04-11, 11:39 AM
so the wealth by level is all that the PC gained in their career? that helps.

and I like the PHB2 material, thanks for that.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-11, 11:44 AM
so the wealth by level is all that the PC gained in their career? that helps.

It's the average value of treasure a PC is expected to have accumulated. It's derived from the encounter and treasure tables.