PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Direct sunlight

Fyermind
2013-04-11, 09:37 AM
So I got vampired. What are some ways I can avoid burning to ash in the sunlight but still be an adventurer? Would something that grants shadowy concealment like child of shadow work as long as I kept moving?

fryplink
2013-04-11, 09:51 AM
A homebrew abjuration that prevents sunlight from harming you, ala Malack.

Ernir
2013-04-11, 09:55 AM
This is a highly relevant rules blurb from Libris Mortis:

Cloud cover or similar interference does not protect [an undead creature vulnerable to sunlight] unless it is thick enough to provide concealment to the creature. For example, a vampire within a fog cloud spell would not adversely be affected by sunlight. Even thick clothing, as long as it covers the body completely, can protect an undead creature from the dangers of sunlight.
So, basically, get some concealment. Carrying around an item emanating Deeper Darkness should be a convenient and sense-making method of getting it.

There's a first level spell in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Cloak of Dark Power) that protects you, too. Ask for a permanent custom item.

thethird
2013-04-11, 10:00 AM
Get a smoking weapon enhancement in some armor spikes. Call it a day.

Zero grim
2013-04-11, 10:14 AM
Permanent item of Darkness or deeper darkness or other such concealment granting ability would be nice, though if you didn't want to get noticed if you have the money to burn you could get an item of permanent control weather that only makes it extremely cloudy.

There's also liquid night from libris mortis, its an alchemical substance that block sunlight from a full hour specifically for vampires, that and prestidigitation to get rid of the smell, it would be very pricey to use its constantly though.

Another good way to avoid the sun, perhaps just go out at night?

(you could always get a pink kitty umbrella)

Callin
2013-04-11, 10:19 AM
Just get a Permanent Concealment granting spell Wondrous Item with the Invisible Spell Metamagic. RAW states that no mechanics are changed.

Nettlekid
2013-04-11, 10:34 AM
The first level spell from the Drow domain, Cloak of Dark Power, protects the user from the effects of full sunlight. It's made to protect Drow from their light sensitivity, but I daresay the description suggests it would work for vampires too. A continuous magic item of this would cost a mere 4000 gold.

Fyermind
2013-04-11, 10:50 AM
Is the consensus that child of shadow stance would work as long as I keep moving? I can last for 12 rounds of direct sunlight, so as long as I move travel occasionally or put my hood up, I should be fine.

Green Leviathan
2013-04-11, 11:08 AM
My DM allowed a modified Hydration Suit from Sandstorm to work as protection vs sunlight. We aggreed that any piercing or slashing damage would add 1d6 of sunlight damage / round while in sunlight untill repaired.

Callin
2013-04-11, 11:24 AM
Since it said that all you need is Concealment I would allow it

Deaxsa
2013-04-11, 11:45 AM
Cloak of Shade is a 1st lvl spell(druid/cleric only) in sandstorm which lasts 1 hour per level and treats the subject as if it were in the shade at all times.

get it on an item, either use activated (the duration is just so looong) or permanent, use if you cannot afford permanent.

Nettlekid
2013-04-11, 11:49 AM
Cloak of Shade is a 1st lvl spell(druid/cleric only) in sandstorm which lasts 1 hour per level and treats the subject as if it were in the shade at all times.

get it on an item, either use activated (the duration is just so looong) or permanent, use if you cannot afford permanent.

Cloak of shade has no effect on light, daylight, sunburst, and similar magical light effects, and it offers no protection from damage that creatures vulnerable to sunlight might take from the sun.

In the fine print, friend.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-11, 11:56 PM
This is a highly relevant rules blurb from Libris Mortis:Basically, stay below deck in your airship (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/59) until your friend can control the weather. (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/63) Adventure in very dense woods. (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/135) Hide in a sack on the back of the cart, only come out at night. (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/295)

ArcturusV
2013-04-12, 12:07 AM
Well, Libris Mortis also had an Alchemical Mixture that protects you from Sunlight for a while.

Expensive, perhaps. But not exactly prohibitively so depending on what your Adventuring Day might look like. Particularly if you have Craft (Alchemy) yourself.

Not ideal, but more options is more options. If it can give you the protection to survive an hour or so until you go to ground, that's all you may need. Worth as an emergency backup at the very least.

Feralventas
2013-04-12, 05:34 AM
In the event PF is allowed, this cantrip (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/rare-cantrips#TOC-Penumbra) should see you safely about the daylight, or at least give you some defense.

Alternatively, there was an amulet/artifact combo in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft that you may want to look into called the Hellheart locket.

Socratov
2013-04-12, 07:02 AM
Wait a minute, were you playing a dwarven NG cleric of Thor? :smallwink:

Lazers etcetera
2013-04-12, 08:17 AM
Just buy a pair of sweet Ray Ban Wayfarers. (70gp)