PDA

View Full Version : Need help with gestalt variant

swankjon
2013-04-11, 10:19 AM
Hi there, this is my first time posting on the forums and I hope my question brings some very interesting suggestions!

Essentially I'm going to be playing a campaign with the following rules:

We start at level 1

My rolled stats are : 16 12 12 11 11 10

We can take feats/spells/skilltricks pretty much anything from any 3.5 book and any un-updated 3.0 book (and some updated ones that left out content).

It is using a mechanic similar to the subjob system from FFXI, so instead of a normal gestalt progression looks like this:

lvl 1 main class
lvl 2 main class/lvl 1 sub class
lvl 3 main class/lvl 1 sub class
lvl 4 main class/lvl 2 sub class

On and on until your main is 20 and your sub is 10

The restrictions are that the sub can only be a base class, and has to be the same one throughout the game, you gain the class skills of that class and you gain its abilities and traits, but not its saves, whereas the main class can take any of the following:

Templates with LA higher then 0
Any race or monster class (as long as it doesn't just have a CR)
Any class that you qualify for in D&D within reason (I don't think hes cool with 3.0 versions of 3.5 classes that were strictly more powerful, which will come into play in a second)

So yeah, very few restrictions, with the caveat that if we break the game, he will too, and this guy is brilliant and will punish the crap out of us, so I would like to keep cheese to a minimum and try to make a character I will have tons of fun with.

Heres the kind of character I would like to play, and my main questions about creating it:

Id love to play a powerful shapeshifter, MOMF is extremely appealing to me, and if there is a way to use the subjob system to make it a more viable way to go, I would definitely like your input there.

If there is a monster who can do this better, or a more arcane path that can do it better, I'm all ears, just make sure it stays relevant in the game and doesn't fall off due to scaling issues, since this campaign is online, theres very little stopping it from going epic at some point.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-04-11, 10:32 AM
So,

What about a
Druid/MOMF/Nature's Warrior//Cleric

for some tasty WIS SAD?

swankjon
2013-04-11, 10:33 AM
I don't actually know what WIS SAD is?

I'm not hip to the lingo, you dig?

Kazyan
2013-04-11, 10:36 AM
Incarnum classes would scale really well as a subjob, since they get all of their soulmelds at first level and essentia capacity scales with character level. Incarnate doesn't have to deal with its weak chassis, either. I recommend it.

Karnith
2013-04-11, 10:41 AM
I don't actually know what WIS SAD is?

I'm not hip to the lingo, you dig?
"WIS" refers to Wisdom (it's also usually not in all-caps), and SAD is an acronym that stands for Single Ability Dependence - that is, reliance on only one ability score (i.e. a cleric/druid casts spells on both sides of its progression that are keyed off of Wisdom). The alternative to SAD is MAD - Multiple Ability Dependence, or reliance on multiple ability scores (think of a monk, who needs Strength to deal damage, Dexterity for armor class to compensate for no armor, Constitution to compensate for a small HD, and Wisdom to use class features). Because it's better to be reliant on as few ability scores as possible, building SAD characters is preferable to building MAD ones.

EDIT: If you ever find yourself unfamiliar with a term that comes up in a discussion on these boards, you may find the Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512) useful.

swankjon
2013-04-11, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the explanation, I was thinking of cleric as my sub if I went the druid direction for MOMF as well, but was worried that the spellcasting wouldn't be particularly powerful in either, due to no progression in MOMF and max level of 10 on cleric. Thoughts?