PDA

View Full Version : Colors of magic in Girard's Windy Canyon

Fish
2013-04-11, 11:00 AM
Here: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) in the Crayons of Time, we see Girard's (presumably illusion) magic is magenta.

Here: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0867.html) the summoned beast is brought to existence with a magenta-ish aura.

Here: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html) Girard's speaking illusion is more purple than magenta. A different caster?

Here: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0837.html) Durkon's Find Tha Path spell is blocked by something with an effect in green.

Obviously, the go-to explanation is that these were 4 different casters. There could be no correlation. The second possibility is that it's just an anomaly of art: matching a screen color to a crayon color, against backgrounds of varying colors; perhaps 1-3 were all cast by Girard.

Nevertheless, we might muse about the meaning.

Did Girard create the runes on the door?

Who cast the spell to block Find Tha Path? Did Girard ever get high enough to cast Ranger spells, and that's his ranger color? Or maybe green isn't a spell effect at all.

If Girard didn't craft his own speaking illusion, it was his family. Will we see more purple stuff?

VanaGalen
2013-04-11, 11:18 AM
First, about Durkon's "no signal" sign. I think the spell here had been cast before and wasn't really activated by anything. So I think the green color of the sign is simply Durkon's display color rather than something associated with the original caster of the blocking spell.

I think the colors of 2 and 3 match pretty well. When there was speculation going on about Zz'dtri scrying eye, I compared color of different spells from the same caster and it never was exactly the same. It varies with the background color, lighting of the scene etc. As for the crayon drawings... well, it seems they aren't 100% correct: Dorukan's casting color is bright yellow, but when Xykon is pushed into the gate the rune activates in violet.

There are also wands and other magical items. As we've seen with Nale (pale yellow for his own spells, black for the wand), color of magic depends on the item, not on the caster. I think it's possible Girard used some magical items when guarding his gate.

Thrax
2013-04-11, 11:45 AM
The green "no signal" sign is probably not a dweomer, just a joke with a fairly random colour. The summon is probably by a family member and the difference between crayons and the actual illusion is probably caused by, you know, crayons.

Expf
2013-04-11, 12:34 PM
The green "no signal" sign is probably not a dweomer, just a joke with a fairly random colour. The summon is probably by a family member and the difference between crayons and the actual illusion is probably caused by, you know, crayons.

Yeah in particular, purple/magenta would not show up well against that background color compared to green.

Vinsfeld
2013-04-11, 12:54 PM
I'd say you're probably 'seeing' too much into it. Not everything needs to have a secret meaning.

ReaderAt2046
2013-04-12, 09:12 PM
Also, regarding various shades of magenta and purple, remember that these dweomers are translucent, so they'd appear slightly different shades depending on what's behind them.

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-13, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure what the question is, exactly. We know that the spells cast in and around the Windy Valley were done by a variety of people within Girard's family. We shouldn't expect them to have all the same color magic.

Fish
2013-04-14, 06:42 PM
It's an observation more than a question. Setting aside the uncertainty of the color match, as I was careful to do, we might wonder if there is any meaning.

For instance: IF Girard put the rune traps on the door personally, then he was alive when the door was made, and had a hand in its defensive purpose. This we could say, "This door could be important." Not necessarily the door to the Real Gate, but important to Girard if such time were spent crafting it.