PDA

View Full Version : Fixing (or optimizing) the Shadowsmith?

Jigokuro
2013-04-11, 12:03 PM
The Shadowsmith PrC from Tome of Magic has always seemed really cool to me in theory and flavor, but has also seemed really weak in execution.
I suppose the 'free' +5 weapon you'd have basically as the (only) capstone is what could be cited as good about the class, and that is, but my main qualm is how back loaded AND weak all the other features are.
The first to level's features are basically nothing at all when you get them, since their effect scales by level. Later the first one stays irrelevant because you'll have magical flight, while the second eventually helps but only if you are the party sneak, but this class doesn't seem like a rogue extension (no sneak attack, search/disable dev/open lock/etc not on skill list, full BAB) as much as for a fighter type (though the know(arc/planes) skill reqs hurt there, is this the worst gish class ever?). The shadow casting is next to nothing, not even granting fundamentals; the cloak of shadows path seems like the 'best' choice.
The armor bonus is nice, but taking a standard action to activate before 10th makes it situation. (again, backloaded)
5th level is a dead level, period.:smallmad:
The actual crafting ability, the main draw and feature I really like, advances way to slowly at first then jumps quickly up; granting a +1 weapon no earlier than ecl 11, but then up to an effective +8 (counting Shadowstriking) weapon as soon as ecl 16! (though shadowstriking is overpriced imo)

My point is, I love the class's flavor, the pull-anything-you-need-from-a-shadow feel is just cool, but the class sucks pretty bad. Perhaps not at full --a lvl20 with 10 levels of this in his build could be happy-- but this is just awful to actually level through from 1st. So, how can this class be fixed to be less backloaded and generally more balanced, or (if I'm missing something) used more effectively as is?

BowStreetRunner
2013-04-11, 02:14 PM
...this class doesn't seem like a rogue extension ...

I have always been disappointed that the entire Shadow Magic section did not offer anything designed for rogue-types. Apparently, it has never occurred to anyone who ever dabbled with Shadow Magic to use it for any sort of thievery.

I would love to see a Shadowsmith who makes lock-picks out of shadowstuff, uses shadow-based stealth enhancements, employs shadow-based movement abilities (like the swordsage's 'shadow jaunt'), and has other shadow-based qualities. The stuff in Tome of Magic seemed wholly inappropriate for a rogue.

Jigokuro
2013-04-11, 02:43 PM
I would love to see a Shadowsmith who makes lock-picks out of shadowstuff, uses shadow-based stealth enhancements, employs shadow-based movement abilities (like the swordsage's 'shadow jaunt'), and has other shadow-based qualities. The stuff in Tome of Magic seemed wholly inappropriate for a rogue.

Well, a Shadowsmith certainly could make lock-picks from shadow, though I'm not sure if MW quality would be possible (what craft would tools like that be?) The main reason they can't be good skill rogue PrC is the lack of class skills. Not a lack of skill points oddly; I'm not really sure where you'd even put 6+int/lvl point from their tiny list.

I think adding search, disable device, open lock, spot, and listen to the class skills (point total is fine) is a good first change to make, letting them be either rogue disabler or scout with their stealth, but not quite have the points to do both.

gorfnab
2013-04-11, 02:50 PM
You could gestalt it with Shadowblade.

Stea1k
2013-04-11, 04:01 PM
In my opinion the PrC was kind of a fighter/rouge concept that looks really cool, but doesn't quite make it all of the way for either. the parts that really kill it are it's enhancement progression (i would say make it +1/2 shadowsmith levels), the +5 bab requirement (consider +4 or +3), and the knowledge checks (consider +3 in one or the other, but not both).

Reducing the bab makes it easier to get in to at lower levels (because by lvl 15, +5 weapons should not be a big issue for a DM imo). The skill requirements allow a character to actually use their skill points for things they need (martial classes don't get many in the first place). Finally, the enhancement progression makes it feel smoother.

Beyond those things, i would say the alterations would be better determined by the base class you want it to fit. Maybe +1d6/3 levels sneak attack/sudden strike or +1/5 levels bonus feat. With the extra damage or feats, i would actually opt for the removal of the mysteries, since Flicker is REALLY good. Finally, with the requirement for a knowledge check, you can take a level or 2 in wizard or cleric and then pull out really useful 1st level spells (probably wizard, just for a few nice utilities) and since your not going to be wearing much armor, probably just light at best, little or no ASF. Heck, tie this in with Abjurant champion... :smallsmile:.

Since ToM already has the shadowblade for sneaky characters, i think the bonus feats would be more appropriate. It would make you feel like a sneaky Kensai.