PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] To Make Him Gestalt

Malrone
2013-04-11, 01:03 PM
Howdy!

I come asking for some build advice. There exists the possibility (however faint), that I will be picking up an old character of mine for an equally old campaign. The DM explained that he had intended for the power level of the setting to follow the same trajectory as Gurren Lagann, and said I would probably be allowed to Gestalt should things start up again.

The character as it stands is Sarrion Firebrand, effectively a Lesser Drow, Soulknife 7/Warmind 10 specc'd for Two Weapon Fighting, with some homebrew sprinkled on top to add more enchantments to the mindblades. Like I said, it was a while ago. As the only surviving character (and interested player), being well-rounded is ideal.
Str 18; Dex 26 w/item; Con 16; Wis 16; Int 16; Cha 13

I'd also like the changes to fit the fluff, of course.LONG STORY AHEAD
He is the oldest of three sons of another, retired, PC: Firenze Firebrand, high elven Duskblade.

That PC was party leader in a campaign that culminated in killing a paladin who was possessed by the Sword of Kaz, then handing the blasted thing off to the guy's arcanist wife to be taken care of. The party took over his castle while the rest of the kingdom, well, had already fallen apart (we were all locked away for some time). The stone giant Donovan was melted with Vile damage during the fight, and the cleric becomes obsessed with raising him (never worked). Firenze settles down with the Drow we hired along the way, and the half-fey Pyrokinetiscist goes off on her own in the meantime. Typical epilogue stuff.

Well, cut to a few hundred years later during a new camapgin, and Firenze is dying of old age, the Drow is long gone, and the surrounding region is still a steaming pile of anarchy riddled dragon dung. That same arcanist woman makes an appearance, dissaperates a dying Firenze, and ressurects Donovan. The three sons, Sarrion the Soulknife (neutral), Senvarin the Monk (lawful), and Himo the Ranger (chaotic) take over the keep, and house Donovan in respect of Dad's wishes. Each takes a share of responsibility- to Himo goes the land, to Senvarin goes the people, and to Sarrion goes... his brothers. They discover Firenze had been sitting atop a massive treasure hoard this whole time, and resolve to do something with it.

Over the course of a 50 year time skip-
-The surrounding regional infrastructure is rebuilt
-Each nearby town (a dozen each) is taught a certain specific trade
-The central city is refurbished
-A republic is set up, with a council of magistrates from each town participating in a congress within the city
-The church of Heironeous is invited and subsidized, to encourage better behavior in the people
-Himo assembles a personal force of Rangers, and Senvarin establishes his own monastery (of drunken masters)
-A standing army of mercenary soldiers is hired, and each town given the right and obligation to train a Guard
-The three PCs each take an allowance for personal magic items
-The council treats the three elves as the de facto leaders of the region, and they become the Consuls to the magistration's Senate

Some intrigue and civil unrest sparks up as IC play resumes, which isn't handled as gracefully as it could have been. The PCs pick up one Robin, a peculiar girl who has been since confirmed as the Pyro's daughter. She is a Soul Bow, and had to be rescued from Himo's own men. After some more rescue-based shenanigans, and a few false clues, Robin is being arrested and Himo is in love. Things go predictably poorly for everyone involved. Before long, Robin has committed murder and is in hiding, and Himo is being forced by a long-since-corrupted Donovan into starting a civil war.

One town is leveled personally by the giant, and the next is the site for a massive PvP siege. Robin joins in to fight against "the monster" that was Donovan, and the mercs side against Sarrion and Senvarin, who have the monks and rangers to back them up. End result: Literally everyone but Sarrion and Robin dies. Retreating, wounded with a Vile affliction of his own, Sarrion finds a mob led by the Heironeons waiting at the Keep, who damn near lynch him. Turns out, the Church took the opportunity to seize power, and scapegoated the PCs for everything and the kitchen sink. Then the Hextorians invade...

Time skip again, and Sarrion is trying to keep his down in an evolved civil war, while both sides pursue him and label him a war criminal. Bit by bit, encounter by encounter, he is driven to hate the Heironeons, who execute anyone who helps him. He picks up a strong-if-derpy ally in the form of Vincent the rogue, and together they rescue Robin from the mind-control enhanced harem of a Hextorian mayor. Some adventure later, a supply trip goes awry, and Vincent is captured by the 'Good' church. They torture/interrogate him, figure out his relationship to me, and **** with his mind.

Vincent is used as a now unwitting pawn to lure Sarrion into a trap, where the party is ambushed by some equally high level casters and soldiers. Force Cage, Dimensional Anchor, Hold Person, Antimagic Shackles, and the Iron Bands of Bolero all are used on Sarrion. Vincent, the rube, is rewarded for his "assistance," with a mayorship, money, and... the magic-enforced slavery of Robin (for her and everyone's safety, of course). Sarrion, meanwhile, is locked away in a black and terrible custom-prison, immobile-
-for a decade.

It is now after his extended release that Sarrion was 'rescued' by an unknown other that gameplay was stopped. So far, it is known that Vincent is still serving as mayor to a Heironeon township, with Robin at his side. Also, the Church executed a simulacrum of Sarrion soon after his capture, and most everyone believes him dead. And that, my friends, was the prologue.

T-****ing-L; DR: He built a kingdom alongside his brothers, watched them die at each other's hands, and was blamed for the resulting civil war by a supposedly LG church that owed him. Hunted and mostly alone, he fights against a world aligned against him.

I feel like a dip into Urban Ranger for favored enemy(Heironeous) would fit wonderfully.

DMVerdandi
2013-04-11, 05:10 PM
Howdy!

I come asking for some build advice. There exists the possibility (however faint), that I will be picking up an old character of mine for an equally old campaign. The DM explained that he had intended for the power level of the setting to follow the same trajectory as Gurren Lagann, and said I would probably be allowed to Gestalt should things start up again.

The character as it stands is effectively a Lesser Drow, Soulknife 7/Warmind 10 specc'd for Two Weapon Fighting, with some homebrew sprinkled on top to add more enchantments to the mindblades. Like I said, it was a while ago. As the only surviving character (and interested player), being well-rounded is ideal.
Str 18; Dex 26 w/item; Con 16; Wis 16; Int 16; Cha 13

I'd also like the changes to fit the fluff, of course.LONG STORY AHEAD
He is the oldest of three sons of another, retired, PC: Firenze Firebrand, high elven Duskblade.

That PC was party leader in a campaign that culminated in killing a paladin who was possessed by the Sword of Kaz, then handing the blasted thing off to the guy's arcanist wife to be taken care of. The party took over his castle while the rest of the kingdom, well, had already fallen apart (we were all locked away for some time). The stone giant Donovan was melted with Vile damage during the fight, and the cleric becomes obsessed with raising him (never worked). Firenze settles down with the Drow we hired along the way, and the half-fey Pyrokinetiscist goes off on her own in the meantime. Typical epilogue stuff.

Well, cut to a few hundred years later during a new camapgin, and Firenze is dying of old age, the Drow is long gone, and the surrounding region is still a steaming pile of anarchy riddled dragon dung. That same arcanist woman makes an appearance, dissaperates a dying Firenze, and ressurects Donovan. The three sons, Sarrion the Soulknife (neutral), Senvarin the Monk (lawful), and Himo the Ranger (chaotic) take over the keep, and house Donovan in respect of Dad's wishes. Each takes a share of responsibility- to Himo goes the land, to Senvarin goes the people, and to Sarrion goes... his brothers. They discover Firenze had been sitting atop a massive treasure hoard this whole time, and resolve to do something with it.

Over the course of a 50 year time skip-
-The surrounding regional infrastructure is rebuilt
-Each nearby town (a dozen each) is taught a certain specific trade
-The central city is refurbished
-A republic is set up, with a council of magistrates from each town participating in a congress within the city
-The church of Heironeous is invited and subsidized, to encourage better behavior in the people
-Himo assembles a personal force of Rangers, and Senvarin establishes his own monastery (of drunken masters)
-A standing army of mercenary soldiers is hired, and each town given the right and obligation to train a Guard
-The three PCs each take an allowance for personal magic items
-The council treats the three elves as the de facto leaders of the region, and they become the Consuls to the magistration's Senate

Some intrigue and civil unrest sparks up as IC play resumes, which isn't handled as gracefully as it could have been. The PCs pick up one Robin, a peculiar girl who has been since confirmed as the Pyro's daughter. She is a Soul Bow, and had to be rescued from Himo's own men. After some more rescue-based shenanigans, and a few false clues, Robin is being arrested and Himo is in love. Things go predictably poorly for everyone involved. Before long, Robin has committed murder and is in hiding, and Himo is being forced by a long-since-corrupted Donovan into starting a civil war.

One town is leveled personally by the giant, and the next is the site for a massive PvP siege. Robin joins in to fight against "the monster" that was Donovan, and the mercs side against Sarrion and Senvarin, who have the monks and rangers to back them up. End result: Literally everyone but Sarrion and Robin dies. Retreating, wounded with a Vile affliction of his own, Sarrion finds a mob led by the Heironeons waiting at the Keep, who damn near lynch him. Turns out, the Church took the opportunity to seize power, and scapegoated the PCs for everything and the kitchen sink. Then the Hextorians invade...

Time skip again, and Sarrion is trying to keep his down in an evolved civil war, while both sides pursue him and label him a war criminal. Bit by bit, encounter by encounter, he is driven to hate the Heironeons, who execute anyone who helps him. He picks up a strong-if-derpy ally in the form of Vincent the rogue, and together they rescue Robin from the mind-control enhanced harem of a Hextorian mayor. Some adventure later, a supply trip goes awry, and Vincent is captured by the 'Good' church. They torture/interrogate him, figure out his relationship to me, and **** with his mind.

Vincent is used as a now unwitting pawn to lure Sarrion into a trap, where the party is ambushed by some equally high level casters and soldiers. Force Cage, Dimensional Anchor, Hold Person, Antimagic Shackles, and the Iron Bands of Bolero all are used on Sarrion. Vincent, the rube, is rewarded for his "assistance," with a mayorship, money, and... the magic-enforced slavery of Robin (for her and everyone's safety, of course). Sarrion, meanwhile, is locked away in a black and terrible custom-prison, immobile-
-for a decade.

It is now after his extended release that Sarrion was 'rescued' by an unknown other that gameplay was stopped. So far, it is known that Vincent is still serving as mayor to a Heironeon township, with Robin at his side. Also, the Church executed a simulacrum of Sarrion soon after his capture, and most everyone believes him dead. And that, my friends, was the prologue.

T-****ing-L; DR: He built a kingdom alongside his brothers, watched them die at each other's hands, and was blamed for the resulting civil war by a supposedly LG church that owed him. Hunted and mostly alone, he fights against a world aligned against him.

I feel like a dip into Urban Ranger for favored enemy(Heironeous) would fit wonderfully.

Character Development
[QUOTE]M'kay... From the backstory, I can totally feel the core idea that you Never trust a blade that you can't forge yourself. That goes even deeper into what happened to his father, the psychology about his brothers, and his final fate being accused of everything.

Moreso, by moving into psionics, it shows a distrust of Outside sources of power altogether. If He can't make it himself, he has no trust in it. In my opinion, Totally Chaotic Evil. That is how you play it. It isn't Chaotic Randumb, but seriously not trusting anyone farther than you can throw a mountain.

You don't have to want to hurt anyone, or cause destruction, or even hate, but if someone says "Hey guys, why don't we split up, we will cover more ground", you deck him in the face. And it doesn't matter if it's the king of siam. It's your way or the high way, ALL the time. If not, he can kick rocks, cause he's more trouble than it's worth.

Lawful evil is someone who follows traditions, even if they hurt others. Undying and absolute moral rigidity. Chaotic Evil is someone who doesn't give a darn about what other people say or think or whatever, cause ultimately, they are wrong. They can't see from your perspective and they just don't get it because they aren't you. EVER.

You are weak if you go along with the herd when you know you are right. And that is because you aren't strong enough for them to understand you. Chaotic evil is not some dickish S&M fetish villain. It's the gotdamn Ubermensch.

It's you waking up, smelling the coffee, and being completely unlimited in your actions and behaviors. You are free to like and dislike whatever you want, because you have taken control of your destiny. It's understanding practicality and personal wishes trump WHATEVER society has to say. Hell, you can want to save society, but you are in control, so control!

Yes, a low mental scored chaotic evil guy is literally a rabid dog in a man's body, pooping wherever he wants, cursing non-stop, and fapping furiously in public.

A man of chaotic evil with high mental and physical scores is a man in control of his own destiny. He is not necessarily an individual, he might like people a lot, but he is SURELY autonomous. He is a free man, able to make his own decisions, and sometimes those decisions don't seem good to the hoi polloi, but that is because they are insufferably weak. Ultimately he is truly good because he is making the right decisions. Society just doesn't get it, because they have draped themselves in tradition and culture, while leaving behind Ability, Power, Intelligence and Reason.
So, ultimately, Forget how they feel about it. If they were wise, They would understand why you do what you do. It's because you CAN that you MUST.

A man of high ability scores with a chaotic evil Alignment isn't a supervillain, He is the hero.

The Build
So, now we have to work on that build.
What do you need. POWER. Where must it come from? WITHIN.

I am going to respect your decision to go with the Soulknife. Usually I would laugh, tell someone to get a real psionic class, and shut them down, but that is not what we are doing here is it. We are respecting each other's personal wishes. I just like your style, kid.:smallcool:

This is what we need to do with the build. Stay pure, Stay classy,

SoulKnife 3/Psychic Rogue 17// Caster 20

With this, you are gravy with your knife, but You don't worry about all the fancy stuff. You can pull it out? You are good. You have enough levels to do what you need to do. Boosting your damage CAN be done better, so DO BETTER.

The Psychic Rogue is to acquire the skills powers and abilities that any powerful man must have. The darker arts. Stealth, Guile, Subterfuge, and most importantly disguise. They are strengths, not weaknesses.
Also, DAT sneak damage.

Now Here is the final part

Caster 20

You are in great need of power, so take it. If there has been anything that DND has said clear, it is that magic is power itself, and a magician is one who wields power. Now, sometimes it is diluted by class, but an Overman like yourself can take the virtue out of something vicious.

Here are the best options.

1. Spell to Power Erudite.
This is the pinnacle in pure mental power. With it, you have the ability to cast spells as powers, and learn an infinite amount of them, so long as you have the experience necessary to take what you need.

Since you can homebrew a little, change the Unique spells per day to exactly one every level. Now you can survive the low levels, and at high levels have quite a few to choose from. If you think it is gaining something for nothing, (more than clarity), then require it be taken at level 1, and have Unique spells per day as a pre-requisite to take it.

Now, Just because you don't HAVE to follow the rules, doesn't mean there is no reason behind doing so. using pun-pun level shenanigans is sure to get you hated on, and that is not useful, nor logical, so keep it

"The world said, psions can't cast magic, and the STP Erudite said back, watch me"

With this, you have power over power. If you want a fun selection of spells, Choose some weapon spells, to really accent your soul-knife.

Also, INT MAD, and such.

2. Cleric. Don't trust any gods? Worship Pure concepts. What values do you believe in? Knowledge? Nobility? Done. In the values you find in yourself, you put your faith in. Everyone has divine power, that is what people of the cloth don't want you to know. While Psionics is Magic of the mind dominating matter, Divine magic is of the soul dominating matter, something everyone has. The foundation of the existence of a creature. Not the conscious mind, but the existing self.

Being a cleric not of a deity, but seeing your own divinity comes closer to the truth, that you are ultimately in control of your own life, regardless of what others say.

With this, buffing will be cake. You also have a large amount of alignment based spells so that people who don't understand are crushed by the might of your righteousness. BACK UP, SON!

I would suggest the Feat Academic priest, and cloistered cleric Variant. Don't worry about your physical health. You have SOUL. The flesh is weak, but the soul is immortal.

3. Wizard.
With STP erudite in the picture, there really isn't any comparison IMO. Yeah, you can have cool tricks, and such, and wizard is the best class, but it isn't. You rely too much on your books, On having time to prepare, on your own physical underpinings. ECT.

Wizard is a failed STP Erudite. If they could memorize spells, like with eidetic memory (Dragon feat), then much of the problem is solved, BUT There is still the fact that it's divine counterpart, the Archivist, is better as a single class in almost every way.

No armor shenanigans, actual class features beyond spellcasting (Hah! bonus feats...) and best amongst them all, the ability to cast from all divine lists. That is INSANE.

If you can somehow come up with a wizard Variant, which gives Eidetic Memory AND casting like a archivist, then ABSOLUTELY do it.
If not, It deserves #3.

#4 Archivist. It's actually 3 in power, if there is going to be a single class, but
4 in fluff, since you gain power by diverging into all of these sacred texts.

Conclusion
Take charge, take control, be a hero.

Spell knife 3/Psychic Rogue 17//Caster 20

Malrone
2013-04-11, 10:11 PM
Character Development
-snop-
Spell knife 3/Psychic Rogue 17//Caster 20

I don't know that I'll be able to change my classes as I have them, but I think it's safe to say-
You win the thread.

thethird
2013-04-12, 06:05 AM
I would go with

Psywarr 20 // Ranger 2 / Warblade 3 / Revenant Blade 5 (player's guide to eberron) / Eternal blade 10 (Tome of battle)

Using Soulbound weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) as if it were a mind blade. And using the large number of feats from psy war to feed two weapon fighting feats. If your dm is okay with it, combining mantled warrior and soulbound weapon is cool.

Ranger 2 can give you access to two weapon fighting easily, and a favored enemy, if you take the ACF for favored organizations you probably can be favored enemy (church of hieroneous). Warblade gives you some maneuvers (maneuvers are nice). Revenant blade is one great prc for two weapon fighting that is elf exclusive. Eternal blade is not two weapon fighting focused but I always felt that sublimed really well the feel of revenant blade, and adds greatly to the soulbond weapon.

Basically your weapon is a spirit representation of your ancestors, fallen brothers that takes form in your hands to battle your enemies, in dire combat it can even manifest as a ghostly drow to help and aid you.