PDA

View Full Version : help me design a wild shaping monk

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-11, 04:48 PM
i want to build a monk with wild shape.

the obvious route is a lot of druid levels and very few monk levels. i have never designed a monk or a druid so i really don't know where to start. i want at least 1 level of monk and focus on combat while wild shaping and a good animal companion to complement him in the melee. i'm also thinking of having the encounter in water. i want to see the reaction to maybe a kung-fu shark.

this will be an npc design to completely through off my group because playing anything expected will fail.

edit: let's use 18, 8, 10, 12, 15, 15 for base stats (i rolled them) unless you think i need a different stat distribution to pull something off

thethird
2013-04-11, 04:49 PM
The obvious route is wild monk acf from dragon magazine.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-11, 04:52 PM
The obvious route is wild monk acf from dragon magazine.

what issue is this from?

laeZ1
2013-04-11, 04:56 PM
How about an awakened shark (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Awakened_Creature_(3.5e_Template)) that has taken levels of monk?

Urpriest
2013-04-11, 05:02 PM
How about an awakened shark (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Awakened_Creature_(3.5e_Template)) that has taken levels of monk?

That link isn't how awaken works RAW, it's homebrew. In case you weren't aware, lots of dandwiki content is homebrew.

Someone will come around presently and tell you which issue Wild Monk comes from. It's probably a weaker option than having a mostly Druid build, though. Monk 1 or 2/Druid for the rest is a fine build for this concept.

If it's an NPC, you shouldn't use rolled stats. NPCs use fixed stat arrays, as described in the DMG.

thethird
2013-04-11, 05:07 PM
Dragon Magazine 324; pg 97

CIDE
2013-04-11, 05:17 PM
Divine Minion template+ Wild Monk+Warshaper+Master of Many Forms+Superior Unarmed Strike+Improved Natural Attack??????

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-11, 05:24 PM
If it's an NPC, you shouldn't use rolled stats. NPCs use fixed stat arrays, as described in the DMG.

I am well aware of how I'm supposed to make an npc, but they can handle it. I want to see this guy do some damage and the elite array feels not right for this one. Besides tell WotC they're supposed to use arrays.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-11, 05:26 PM
Dragon Magazine 324; pg 97

Thanks I'll take a look. Probably going Druid monk though.

Valwyn
2013-04-12, 02:43 PM
You could always go Wildshape Ranger, which also gives you Fast Movement (which I think applies to all speeds, not just land). You only get small and medium animals, but your BAB will be better. Taking Warshaper and/or Master of Many Forms could be a good idea.

Gazebo's Bane
2013-04-12, 03:22 PM
I would consider one level of Monk then going with Valwyn's idea of Wildshape Ranger whilst taking the Ascetic Hunter feat. Sprinkle with levels of Fist of the Forest, Nature's Warrior and/or Warshaper.