PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Star Wars -> 3.5 conversion process?

gurgleflep
2013-04-11, 07:19 PM
Is it possible to convert anything from the Star Wars game into D&D 3.5?

I'm thinking it would be rather fun to have some mysterious metal object fall from the heavens and crash into the planet and have the party investigate to discover that some Jedi and his R2 unit crashed into the planet due to technical malfunctions of some sort.
Not very "lore friendly," but having a mash-up like this is pretty interesting to imagine!

LOTRfan
2013-04-11, 07:31 PM
The older Star Wars d20 game is compatible with 3.5e, if i remember correctly.

In addition to that, I converted Hutts, Twi'leks, and Wookiees into playable races, and I have a few battle droid conversions as well.

gurgleflep
2013-04-11, 07:37 PM
The older Star Wars d20 game is compatible with 3.5e, if i remember correctly.

In addition to that, I converted Hutts, Twi'leks, and Wookiees into playable races, and I have a few battle droid conversions as well.

Hutts are awesome, as are the Twi'leks and Wookies. I want to hug you!
Thank you, I'll look into them now :smallsmile:

DaTedinator
2013-04-11, 07:49 PM
Assuming you're talking Revised Edition:

If you're just having it be something like that - just like a fun little side thing - I'd imagine no real conversion is necessary. Just use the stats as-is. Only thing that'd need changing is for you to get rid of wound points and turn vitality points into hit points.

If you wanted it to be more long-term, you'd need to ditch class defense bonuses and turn armor from DR into AC, which would work on a one-for-one basis, I think; maybe boost the heavy armors by a point or two. Weapons work as-is, though you might decide to adjust the critical ranges to some of them (for example, I'd probably give the blaster cannon a 20/x3 crit range, rather than 19-20/x2).

Force skills should translate over just fine, costing HP instead of VP. However - especially if you're dealing with higher levels - you probably want to change/expand the save DC potential. A DC 20 save, the highest many skills can get to, is pretty trivial at higher levels of D&D. Fortunately, the save progressions expand pretty easily.

Also, Force Defense should probably protect against spells. In general, save bonuses against the Force should probably apply against magic.

Also, feats; Star Wars uses the 3.0 versions of a lot of them, so I'd advise updating any stat blocks that need it. Otherwise, they also should work as-is.

It's worth noting that the Dragonlance Campaign Setting ditched the reputation and defense bonus from the Noble, and then just imported the entire thing over to D&D, virtually no changes. You can probably do the same to any of the other classes; just be aware that they might not function well. Star Wars operates on a completely different combat paradigm than D&D. So, for example, while it's fine for the Scoundrel to not have any way to boost damage in a game where he's mostly using weapons that can drop enemies in one hit, in D&D, he won't be able to contribute to combat.

Not that that's really a big deal; most of the classes have a pretty clear connection to a D&D class, so there's no conversion necessary. If someone would be a Scoundrel or a Soldier, just make them a Rogue or a Fighter instead (just be aware that a D&D Fighter is way worse than a SWRPG Soldier).

The only ones without a direct (or at least close) comparison are the force-using classes, and they're the ones that translate over the best, due to having magic powers, and damage-boosting abilities. I might increase the Force Adept's Force Weapon progression, but otherwise you're fine.

The biggest oddity would be droids, which in D&D would be constructs, meaning they'd have no Constitution; also, as they rarely have heroic classes, they probably don't have any HP, either. I'd probably just ditch their Constitution scores, give them 6 HP per non-heroic level, and call it a day. If they have heroic levels, I'd convert the VP to HP, but otherwise the same.

gurgleflep
2013-04-11, 07:56 PM
Assuming you're talking Revised Edition:

If you're just having it be something like that - just like a fun little side thing - I'd imagine no real conversion is necessary. Just use the stats as-is. Only thing that'd need changing is for you to get rid of wound points and turn vitality points into hit points.

If you wanted it to be more long-term, you'd need to ditch class defense bonuses and turn armor from DR into AC, which would work on a one-for-one basis, I think; maybe boost the heavy armors by a point or two. Weapons work as-is, though you might decide to adjust the critical ranges to some of them (for example, I'd probably give the blaster cannon a 20/x3 crit range, rather than 19-20/x2).

Force skills should translate over just fine, costing HP instead of VP. However - especially if you're dealing with higher levels - you probably want to change/expand the save DC potential. A DC 20 save, the highest many skills can get to, is pretty trivial at higher levels of D&D. Fortunately, the save progressions expand pretty easily.

Also, Force Defense should probably protect against spells. In general, save bonuses against the Force should probably apply against magic.

Also, feats; Star Wars uses the 3.0 versions of a lot of them, so I'd advise updating any stat blocks that need it. Otherwise, they also should work as-is.

It's worth noting that the Dragonlance Campaign Setting ditched the reputation and defense bonus from the Noble, and then just imported the entire thing over to D&D, virtually no changes. You can probably do the same to any of the other classes; just be aware that they might not function well. Star Wars operates on a completely different combat paradigm than D&D. So, for example, while it's fine for the Scoundrel to not have any way to boost damage in a game where he's mostly using weapons that can drop enemies in one hit, in D&D, he won't be able to contribute to combat.

Not that that's really a big deal; most of the classes have a pretty clear connection to a D&D class, so there's no conversion necessary. If someone would be a Scoundrel or a Soldier, just make them a Rogue or a Fighter instead (just be aware that a D&D Fighter is way worse than a SWRPG Soldier).

The only ones without a direct (or at least close) comparison are the force-using classes, and they're the ones that translate over the best, due to having magic powers, and damage-boosting abilities. I might increase the Force Adept's Force Weapon progression, but otherwise you're fine.

The biggest oddity would be droids, which in D&D would be constructs, meaning they'd have no Constitution; also, as they rarely have heroic classes, they probably don't have any HP, either. I'd probably just ditch their Constitution scores, give them 6 HP per non-heroic level, and call it a day. If they have heroic levels, I'd convert the VP to HP, but otherwise the same.

This is most helpful, so I thank you :smallsmile:
Just need to obtain a few of the books from a friend now...
Wouldn't the force be a bit closer to psionics though?

Greenish
2013-04-11, 08:01 PM
Wouldn't the force be a bit closer to psionics though?Between psionics and magic, which one can shoot lightning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/lightningBolt.htm) and throw people around (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telekinesis.htm)? Trick question, psionics and Force are magic.

gurgleflep
2013-04-11, 08:03 PM
Between psionics and magic, which one can shoot lightning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/lightningBolt.htm) and throw people around (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telekinesis.htm)? Trick question, psionics and Force are magic.

Good point.
I take back the psionic comment now.

You're a sneaky devil, I JUST saw what you snuck in thanks to a later comment.

gurgleflep
2013-04-11, 08:21 PM
*snip*... If you're just having it be something like that - just like a fun little side thing - I'd imagine no real conversion is necessary. Just use the stats as-is. Only thing that'd need changing is for you to get rid of wound points and turn vitality points into hit points.

If you wanted it to be more long-term, you'd need to ditch class defense bonuses and turn armor from DR into AC, which would work on a one-for-one basis, I think... *snip*

It's going to be a long term thing. In the movies and shows, you saw quite a few of the races on each planet they visited, so I'm going to read through their stats and figure out which races they'd ally themselves with.
Space travel is something I'm thinking of doing, but might not due to complexity.

ericp65
2013-04-11, 08:44 PM
Is Star Wars Saga Edition not 3.5 already? (I'm good at asking absurd questions)

gurgleflep
2013-04-11, 08:51 PM
Is Star Wars Saga Edition not 3.5 already? (I'm good at asking absurd questions)

It's pretty close from what I've seen, but few of the things found in it are alien to me. No pun intended.

nobodez
2013-04-11, 09:04 PM

Saga is more of a d20 modern/4th edition lite system than 3.5 based. I mean, tripple VP/Hp at first level, Ref/Fort/Will Defense, trained/untrained skills (and based off of 1/2 level), talents and bonus feats on opposing levels (this is the d20 Modern influence), restricted items (another d20 Modern influence), 2/5/10 bonus structure, The two levels of prestige classes (10 level advanced and 5 level prestige classes from d20 Modern).

If anything, Saga could be seen as what might have been with regards to a 2nd edition of d20 Modern (as a d20 Modern addicted gamer, that's the tint on my rose colored glasses).

ericgrau
2013-04-11, 09:07 PM
Between psionics and magic, which one can shoot lightning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/lightningBolt.htm) and throw people around (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telekinesis.htm)? Trick question, psionics and Force are magic.

Trick question. Both (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyBolt.htm) can (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticForce.htm).

gurgleflep
2013-04-11, 09:10 PM
Trick question. Both (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyBolt.htm) can (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticForce.htm).

I really gotta start highlighting comments to see these hidden messages!