PDA

View Full Version : [PF] To stat or not to stat

Silus
2013-04-11, 07:47 PM
So I'm in the process of building a campaign (check my other threads for more info) and I've a general kinda question regarding NPCs.

If the NPC is not designed to engage in combat with actual dice (as opposed to a "cutscene" fight), do you really need a stat block for them?

The four NPCs I've in mind thus far (in case anyone wants to come up with a class makeup for them):

1) An Elven queen with the Fey Creature template. Beautiful, regal, definite access to Handle Animal and the Leadership feat. Uses her shape changing Fey spell to appear as simply an elf. Over 1000 years old, rules in a behind the scenes sort of way (governments ask for her advice for example).

2) The queen's bodyguard, a male Human Dread Vampire (LN). I was thinking Magus for him. Acts as the queen's bodyguard, advisor and, it is rumored, consort.

3) A female Sphinx named Lily who guards a lost repository of eldritch knowledge (much like the Library episode from Avatar). Snarky, easily bored, based somewhat off of Phix from the webcomic Wapsi Square.

4) Basically a Pathfinder version of The Great Owl from Secret of NIMH. I was thinking an Advanced Awakened Giant Owl Oracle Lich with the size category boosted to Gargantuan or even Colossal. Planing of doing something close to the Owl's voice when he talks.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-11, 07:51 PM
If the NPC is not designed to engage in combat with actual dice (as opposed to a "cutscene" fight), do you really need a stat block for them?

Is it weaker than the Lady of Pain?

Hyde
2013-04-11, 07:56 PM
Is it weaker than the Lady of Pain?

You mean weaker than "you lose"? :smalltongue:

But yeah, stat em out, at least a little. Frankly it shouldn't take too much longer to whip up some NPCs that it would discussing whether or not to do so on the boards.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-11, 08:03 PM
You mean weaker than "you lose"? :smalltongue:

But yeah, stat em out, at least a little. Frankly it shouldn't take too much longer to whip up some NPCs that it would discussing whether or not to do so on the boards.

Also, you need to know their skill checks and possibly saving throws. Suppose your PCs need to deceive the NPC, and expect more fairness than "Hmm... the d20 rolled above 15, and I'm having a nice day, so yes. You make it. Even with your -3 modifier and the fact I didn't roll." Players can tell when you're doing that btw.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-04-11, 08:09 PM
It really depends on the players and the campaign. Let me give you a little questionnaire:

Are any of the players Chaotic?
Are any of the players Evil or on the south side of Neutral?
Is your group relatively inexperienced?
Is anyone young enough to attack first and ask questions later? (I've found this age is below 15-16)
Is your game a sandbox? (as opposed to a railroad)
Will the NPC have a bad first impression?

If you answered yes to any one of these questions, have a general idea of what they can do in combat.

If you answered yes to at least two of these questions, know what its high and low saves are and how many hits it can take (literally, "one hit" or "two hits" or "a lot of hits").

If you answered yes to at least three of these questions, you should know what their saves, AC, hp, and spells (if applicable) should look like.

If you answered yes to at least four of these questions, write down their stats, saves, three or four spell slots (if the character uses them) and a basic attack (for melee characters).

If you answered yes to at least five of these questions, know their saves and AC (off the top of your head or have them on hand), have a plan of what they'll do immediately if/when the PCs attack them, and have an idea of where it'll go from there. For example, "open with a DC 26 Disintegrate* on the offending party member, then Quickened Invisibility" or "DC 21 Dominate Person* on the attacker, then summon something for the rest of the party".

If you answered yes to all six of these questions, there's nothing I can do to help you.

*Don't actually throw save-or-sucks at your players. They're just not fun.

Toy Killer
2013-04-11, 08:11 PM
Further more, You never really know if PCs will randomly decide to attack anything you place in front of them.

I recently ran an encounter where a group of Paladins ("The Good Guys") rode up, simply to add a bit of verisimilitude and hint that Lawful good doesn't mean Lawful Nice in my campaign world. (The party found reminisce of a Heresy Trial before hand)

Apparently, I went a little heavy on the Lawful Mean, as the party cleric decides to Duel the Knight captain of the Patrol.

While I guess in hindsight, she probably could have used stats, I didn't think of it when making the encounter (I was giving the Cleric a bit of roleplaying time, which is what he predominately wants out of the game.) I was taken by the broadside when he challenged her. Sworn to honor, I couldn't justify the Paladins not accepting a challenge.

CTrees
2013-04-11, 08:40 PM
Two suggestions:

1) The SRD has an NPC database (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-db)

or

2) The NPC Codex is really nice for "crap my PCs just decided to sneak into a convent and reverse pickpocket the abbess and now I need stats for NPCs"

Obviously the first option is cheaper, but there's just something about hardbound books. Add in the quick rebuild rules on templates, and you've got "good enough" answers for most situations.