PDA

View Full Version : Archivist Prayerbook Help

Czarzian
2013-04-11, 08:43 PM
So I'm playing an Archivist for the first time. Starting ECL of 5. We already have an arcane caster in the group (Spellthief 1/ Wizard 4/ Unseen Seer X/ Spellwarp Sniper X/ Arcane Trickster X). We are allowed to scribe spells into our Spellbook/Prayerbook at character generation at normal price, Scroll Cost + (100 gp per page x Spell Level), Spellcraft checks are not required. Starting GP is according to the WBL chart in the DMG, 9000 gp for those that don't know. I figure I can spend in between 6000 gp to 7000 gp on adding spells into my Spellbook to get some top-notch spells. I want to focus on Battlefield Control, Buffing, and Summoning. What scrolls should I get pronto? My list so far is as follows-

Int = 18

1st Level Spells Automatically Gained-
Bless (PHB)
Command (PHB)
Divine Favor (PHB)
Obscuring Mist (PHB)
Protection from Evil (PHB)
Shield of Faith (PHB)
Conviction (SpC)
Summon Monster I (PHB)
Omen of Peril (SpC)

2nd Level Spells Automatically Gained-
Hold Person (PHB)
Summon Monster II (PHB)
Darkbolt (LoM)
Desecrate (PHB)

3rd Level Spells Automatically Gained-
Animate Dead (PHB)
Summon Monster III (PHB)

Scrolls Bought
1st level-
+25 Entangle (Druid PHB)
+25 Grease (Slime SpC),
+25 Enlarge Person (Transformation RoE )
+25 Lesser restoration (Pal DMG)
+25 Summon NA I ( Druid PHB)
+25 Resist Energy (Ranger PHB)
+25 Winged Watcher(Druid SpC)
+25 Barkskin (Druid PHB)
+25 Silent Image (Shujenga CD)
+25 Expeditious Retreat(Shujenga CD)

(10 spells x 100 per page) + (25 gp x 10 scrolls) = 1250 gp

2nd level Scrolls-
+150 Alter Self (Transformation RoE)
+150 See Invisibility (Adept PHB)
+150 Mirror Image (Adept PHB)
+150 Invisibility (Lust SpC)
+150 Summon Nature's Ally II (Druid PHB)
+150 Primal Instinct(Ranger SpC)
+150 Glitterdust (Shujenga CD)

(7 spells x 100 gp per page x 2) + (7 Scrolls x 150 gp) = 2450 gp

3rd level Scrolls-
+375 Fly (Travel PHB)
+375 Haste (Shujenga CD)
+375 Charm Monster (Emissary of Barachiel BoED)
+375 Freedom of Movement (Nenytar Hunter Una)
+375 Evard's Black Tentacles ( Darkwater Storm)

(5 spells x 100 gp per page x 3) + (5 scrolls x 375 gp) = 3375 gp
Total = 7075 gp

What spells should I replace on this list? Is this good at the moment? Any 'must haves' that I'm missing? Which ones could I easily drop? Thanks!

Jeff the Green
2013-04-11, 09:11 PM
What alignment are you and what alignment are your party members? There are some useful Sanctified/Corrupt spells, but they're alignment specific.

Czarzian
2013-04-11, 09:25 PM
The Party is Good/Neutral. I was planning on being CN or LN depending on how I wanted to roleplay the character. Leaning towards CN due to the fact that I'm playing a Gnome. Though if I went LN I would RP him as having his own distinct moral code, where the use of magic is key.

Also I may want to mention that the campaign is currently ongoing and they might reach level 6 before I can join. If this happens then I start at level 6 with the equivalent WBL. If I start at level 5, I might trim about 1000 gp off of my current list of spells.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-11, 09:34 PM
Mass Snake's Swiftness - 2nd level spell, gives everyone in an area a free attack.

It costs a little bit, but I generally like to go for a combo of Charm Animal, Speak with Animals and Chain of Eyes for just about the safest scouting you can get, above (or sometimes below) ground. Charm an animal, tell it to go look at the BBEG's lair for you, and use chain of eyes to see everything that it sees. Charm animal and Speak with Animal can give you some interesting utility/ranged sabotage options as well - for instance, I could see using a rat to deliver poisons into the enemy's food supply.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-04-11, 09:46 PM
For an archivist, SNA is not the best spell. You can get more through celestial riding dogs with SM.
Also, Haste is not as good as it used to be.
And the cheese comes from bite of (wererat/werewolf) can work also.

Urpriest
2013-04-11, 09:50 PM
For an archivist, SNA is not the best spell. You can get more through celestial riding dogs with SM.
And the cheese comes from bite of (wererat/werewolf) can work also.

This isn't Pathfinder, you can't get Riding Dogs with Summon Monster I. And the Bite of series isn't that great for this guy since he isn't aiming to gish.

Daftendirekt
2013-04-12, 05:15 AM
This isn't Pathfinder, you can't get Riding Dogs with Summon Monster I.

Can't with SM anymore either. It's just dog now.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-12, 10:36 AM
Well, as LN you can cast both Sanctified and Corrupt spells. If you have anyone who will be in combat without much armor (hello, druid), grab Luminous Armor. Spider Hand is excellent for scouting, Absorb Mind for divination, Ayailla's Radiant Burst for fighting groups of evil things, and Celestial Aspect for many things.

I'd also pick up Divination, Scrying (from bard), Guidance of the Avatar, Lore of the Gods, and Summon Dire Hawk.

Czarzian
2013-04-12, 01:36 PM
Mass Snake's Swiftness - 2nd level spell, gives everyone in an area a free attack.

It costs a little bit, but I generally like to go for a combo of Charm Animal, Speak with Animals and Chain of Eyes for just about the safest scouting you can get, above (or sometimes below) ground. Charm an animal, tell it to go look at the BBEG's lair for you, and use chain of eyes to see everything that it sees. Charm animal and Speak with Animal can give you some interesting utility/ranged sabotage options as well - for instance, I could see using a rat to deliver poisons into the enemy's food supply.

I am most definitely looking at Mass Snake Swiftness. Unfortunately it does't play nice with Haste. The difference in the two is one is more "set it and forget it" while the other seems like you should cast it at the most opportune moment. The scenario you gave is a little specific but I'll keep in mind.

And the cheese comes from bite of (wererat/werewolf) can work also

I was already thinking of dropping SNA 1 to save some money. SNA 2 on the other hand has a monster or two that aren't available til SM 3 though. I could see how Haste might not be as good as it used to be but doubling my parties movement, +1 to AC, Ref, and Attack Rolls still seems pretty good to me... Not mentioning the extra attack. The Bite spells I have looked at and while I'm not going for Gish they do seem like solid buffs. Thanks for the advice!

Well, as LN you can cast both Sanctified and Corrupt spells. If you have anyone who will be in combat without much armor (hello, druid), grab Luminous Armor. Spider Hand is excellent for scouting, Absorb Mind for divination, Ayailla's Radiant Burst for fighting groups of evil things, and Celestial Aspect for many things.

I'd also pick up Divination, Scrying (from bard), Guidance of the Avatar, Lore of the Gods, and Summon Dire Hawk.
These all sound like great options! I'll look into them and see if I can switch some stuff around.

Thanks for all the advice!

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-12, 02:03 PM
Oh, I almost forgot- "Aspect of the Wolf," turn into a wolf as a first level spell, I think for hours per level. Little specific, but.... 1st level.