PDA

View Full Version : How to skirmish with the scout

Devronq
2013-04-11, 08:57 PM
So the scout class it seems like you should be able to move and get a full attack or else it doesnt seem worthwhile so what is the usual method of moving your 10ft (to trigger skirmish) and still being able to get multiple attacks?

TuggyNE
2013-04-11, 09:07 PM
Close-in archery: move, use Greater Manyshot.
Pounce: dip Barb, get wands, whatever.
10' step: dip Monk (preferably Halfling racial sub level) and use Sparring Dummy of the Master. Or make a lot of stiff UMD checks over a week.

And so on and so forth.

Erik Vale
2013-04-12, 03:13 AM
[I'm not sure about this one].
Ride a mount, because your on the mount, you have moved. Enjoy the damage bonus.

RedWarlock
2013-04-12, 03:41 AM
[I'm not sure about this one].
Ride a mount, because your on the mount, you have moved. Enjoy the damage bonus.

Nope. You have to have done the moving yourself. Mount doesn't count.

TuggyNE
2013-04-12, 03:57 AM
Nope. You have to have done the moving yourself. Mount doesn't count.

More precisely, it used to count until errata specifically targeted this case.

Amphetryon
2013-04-12, 06:17 AM
More precisely, it used to count until errata specifically targeted this case.

Something something melee, something nice things. Talk to your DM about it, as that particular part of the errata might be worth revisiting, or at least homebrewing an ACF to address.

Otherwise, yeah, you need Greater Manyshot or one of the many ways to get Pounce.

BWR
2013-04-12, 06:36 AM
1 level dip as Aadent+Paactised Manifester+Dimension Hop power.
Convince your stupid DM to give you a Boots of Striding and Springing variant that grants a 10 foot step instead of the normal +10 speed.

Hunter Noventa
2013-04-12, 07:02 AM
Take a level of Warblade at the right time and there's a White Raven stance that lets you make a ten foot step.

Malimar
2013-04-12, 07:31 AM
Optimize Tumble until you can reliably beat DC40 and make 10-foot steps (Oriental Adventures p.58).

Also, this thread should be in the 3.5e forum.

Big Fau
2013-04-12, 07:38 AM
Dip Cleric 1 and pick up Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion.

TypoNinja
2013-04-12, 04:41 PM
Dip Cleric 1 and pick up Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion.

Or if you have something against Dips, the feats God Touched and Divine Channeler will give any class the ability to turn undead. Add in Extra Turning for more uses a day.

Kind of feat heavy though.

Scow2
2013-04-12, 05:48 PM
Forget full attacks. Take Spring Attack and Bounding Assault, and settle for reduced damage output (Made up for with slightly boosted AC and skirmish damage).

Or, get some sort of Pet to bull-rush you on the initiative count before you and fail the check if possible every round. You still move 10' (Maybe even 20', allowing Improved Skirmish if you're rushed hard enough)

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-12, 08:16 PM
Fast mount to get on your horse, fast dismount to get off your horse, 5 ft. step. Congratulations you have now traveled 20 feet.

Winds
2013-04-12, 08:41 PM
You could also worry less about damage and more about control. Use the Ranged [Maneuver] feat series. Instead of a damage dealer, you become a harrier. Now rather than a numeric damage dealer, you get to mess up enemies in several fun ways, and skirmish AC plus increased movement makes you a pretty tough target to hurt...which gives you more fun ways to lure them into your traps your party members lay. Of course, that's less handy against animals and such, and it relies on your party being the sort to actually plan these things out..

Flickerdart
2013-04-13, 12:13 PM
Or just read PersonMan's Handbook on free movement/pounce (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

Barsoom
2013-04-15, 04:26 PM
Or if you have something against Dips, the feats God Touched and Divine Channeler will give any class the ability to turn undead. Add in Extra Turning for more uses a day.

Kind of feat heavy though.It is, in fact, so feat heavy that it's better to just take Travel Devotion three times and be done with it.

TypoNinja
2013-04-15, 07:10 PM
It is, in fact, so feat heavy that it's better to just take Travel Devotion three times and be done with it.

You are right, that works better. For some reason I thought that Devotion Feats all required the ability to Turn as a prerequisite. Just went over my CC and CD though that doesn't seem to be the case.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-19, 10:30 PM
There is in fact a "Light Cavalry" alternate class to skirmish when mounted. I think it's stupid that errata restricted it at all, though.

For an archer, best bet is dipping cloistered cleric for knowledge devotion. Barring that, MIC has a veritable ton of swift action movement items. Boots of Sidestepping are pretty cheap and give you an additional 5 ft step 3/day. Buy multiple copies. Anklets of Translocation are even cheaper for 10 ft teleporting (should still count for skirmish, I think?) 2/day. Hell, pay +50% and just stack the various swift action movement footwear into one item if you want.

Always try for a full attack Rapid Shot skirmish. The Greater Manyshot route is a trap.

For melee, you just dip Barb 1 for Pounce and you're all set.

Cerlis
2013-04-20, 12:26 AM
I guess this is slightly off topic but i thought you should know that the point of skirmishing discludes the point of a full attack. Basically a full attack you do the maximum amount of attacks by excluding moving. this is very bad as you cant close in on an enemy, or escape from them after attacking.

Skirmish allows you to move every turn and attack, and gain a boost in damage and AC, so whether you are closing in on an enemy, retreating, or strafing them you are doing more damage than a single attack, while moving around the battlefield as well as defending yourself.

You'd also compare it to a rogue in which in order for the rogue to sneak attack without any help requires two turns, or with Imp Feignt a a full turn (feignt and then attack) (baseline) for slightly more damage.

-----------

Point being, this is a good thread and you should learn how to optimize your damage and moving capabilities, but since the class is based around movement I'd advice you to embrace it (and agree with the notion of using Spring attack, though archery is good too)

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-20, 03:04 PM
Or you could use any of the myriad of ways to move 10 ft and still full attack to do good damage like a rogue can. Moving around just for the sake of moving around is pointless, it is a means to an end, not itself an end.